Author Topic: Radiator Cleaning  (Read 7777 times)

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Radiator Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 01:17:20 pm »
> 'The bottom five rows worth of obstruction were enough to make me question my life choices. '

:winkthumbs:

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 01:32:52 pm »
Oh, and a slight aside - a good suggestion but I've forgotten from who (apols but probably Brian, Chris or Andym2):

- drill the solid back of central plastic guard with many small holes for airflow, but not so big a stone will go through

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 01:44:39 pm »
I've never got into this rad cleaning club but surely if you're taking it off then a good soak followed by blowing and sucking machines using air or water would do lots of this?

Is this like me trying to melt solder by rubbing my hands together because my soldering iron is broke and I can't be arsed replacing it?

FYPie I just ordered a new soldering iron. And fina-frigging-lly a helping hand device with magnifying glass. Lot of headers to do.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2022, 01:52:48 pm »
It doesn't mention in this article about vacuum filling the system when the radiator has been removed. Perhaps the K1600 doesn't have to be vacuum filled.

Interesting that the K1600 suffers the same radiator problems as the K1300S. I'm surprised that BMW haven't addressed the problem.

Drilling holes in the rear of the central mud flap makes no difference. I've tried riding the bike with the mud flap removed alltogether, when the rad became blocked and it didn't help at all.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2022, 02:14:16 pm »
What interested me was the trouble this bloke went to.
I want a soak, rinse and go answer
Just ordered some Simple Green Aviation Extreme to try out. bound to be raining by the time it arrives  :D
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2022, 03:23:32 pm »
Drilling holes in the rear of the central mud flap makes no difference. I've tried riding the bike with the mud flap removed alltogether, when the rad became blocked and it didn't help at all.

Oh.  :(
That's disappointing.

If we all lived in Australia, we'd be sorted:
https://www.golpherperformance.com.au/collections/bmw/products/bmw-k1600gt-k1600gtl-10-16-radiator?variant=35310722416795

Seems a reasonable price, but then shipping and import duties may spoil that slightly.

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2022, 05:18:37 pm »
Are the Ozzie rads compatible with the K1300s inside and out?
400 oz dollars is £230 according the currency site I found.
Isn't a new replacement rad around £400 in the UK?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 05:45:16 pm by drumwrecker »

Offline andym2

• View Profile
  • Location:: Stratford on Avon (District, the town is 'Upon' )
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2022, 06:20:31 pm »

If we all lived in Australia, we'd be sorted:
https://www.golpherperformance.com.au/collections/bmw/products/bmw-k1600gt-k1600gtl-10-16-radiator?variant=35310722416795

Seems a reasonable price, but then shipping and import duties may spoil that slightly.

You could try West Mercia Radiators, who are significantly closer. http://www.westmerciaradiators.co.uk/motorbike_radiator_repairs.html

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2022, 06:40:34 pm »
Ah, well remembered, Andy. I've bookmarked that for x years time. Thanks!

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2022, 07:57:18 am »
1600 and 1800 cc. engines do not have the same type of radiator as the 12,13 ones.
Much more easier to clean and no clogging  issues.
Unfortunately The use of the silica/sand based compounds, used only in UK, roads during winder time , even after so many letters adressed to the UK  ministry of transportation had no results.
Similar issues are faced with some vehicles from Stelandis and VW group.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300 Dynamic
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Autocom, BSD remap, 170 at the wheel. SC project can with baffle removed.Lust 25mm lowering plates
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2022, 10:39:50 pm »
Guys, I’ve removed the central stone guard thousands of miles ago, I’ve also cut out the fan mounting bottom corners to allow throughflow of air to clear out the dust debris, I haven’t fitted a extender to the guard either. It is still the original rad from 2014 and works as it should. I do take extra care when washing the bike and I don’t ride in the wet or winter.
I use auto glym wheel cleaner then snow foam to wash the rad, then back flush with a 90degree lance I made up.
Happy with the cooling..

Best regards. Mick
No problems only Solutions

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2022, 12:40:31 am »
I don’t ride in the wet or winter.
Best regards. Mick

And there you have it.

Dry sunny roads don't block radiators, as Costas keep,saying. Never happens in the sunny Hellenic Isles.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2022, 08:42:14 am »
I don’t ride in the wet or winter.
Best regards. Mick

And there you have it.

Dry sunny roads don't block radiators, as Costas keep,saying. Never happens in the sunny Hellenic Isles.

Your problem is you keep riding through the loading yard at the weetabix factory... on a rainy day... when there's lots of weetabix dust about... and wind... yeah.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline MrAliT

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 k1300s
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2022, 10:10:14 pm »
I had the over heating issue last summer. I'd always taken the time to run water through the radiator when washing but it still got clogged up.

I took the time to run water through it for about 30 minutes then used a large can of brake and clutch cleaner and sprayed the while lot through from both sides. I then gave it another rinse and loads more crud was dislodged.

Been fine ever since, even commuting through the recent warm spell so worth a go if yours is struggling. Definitely cheaper than a new radiator and didn't have to take it off and faff about with vacuum refilling the coolant