Author Topic: Oil leak from top engine cover (2013 K1300S)  (Read 11811 times)

Offline Bian2512

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Oil leak from top engine cover (2013 K1300S)
« on: March 15, 2018, 01:38:41 pm »
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to BMW ownership, so be gentle with me please. I'd like to pick your brains about an oil leak, that is coming from the top cover seal (rocker cover?) whilst the bike is running. The oil appears to be coming out in small squirts, with bubbles or air coming out as-well. Ive also been told the gasket is rubber, and can be re-used, and also its not common for these to leak. I know the engine is cocked forward instead of upright, so the oil is more likely to be in that area anyway, but any advice from you guys would be much appreciated. My main concern is the air/bubbles. Could it be pressurized, due to another fault?
Regards
Bian

Offline Eyore

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Lots of Polish. Titax levers. GPR end can.R&G Protectors, carbon fibre bling, Tom Tom mount,daytime led lights.Low seat.Oberon clutch slave cylinder.Airblade DB screen,fender extender.Michael Dunlop sticker.
Re: Oil leak from top engine cover (2013 K1300S)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 02:47:18 pm »
Sounds to me as if whoever had the rocker cover off, presumably to check valve clearances, may have pinched the gasket .
The fastest Pizza delivery bike in the west.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 04:32:48 pm »
There are e few cases with gaskets failing on older than 10 years bikes. It's a relatively easy fix and does not effect any other component.  The issue is the correct installation of the new one with the proper glue and then proper engine management until gasket sits on the rails. Failing to do so will result in repetition of work.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 05:07:39 pm »
Hi Brian and welcome to the madhouse that is EuroKClub!

If you put a little more detail in your profile, age of bike, mileage etc, it makes it easier for folks to be specific when they try to help. A few words of introduction in Who's Who always helps too.

As to the 'leak'. Whereabouts around the cover is it? Also, when was the last valve clearance check done. If recently, Kim is probably on the right tracks.

The crankcase shouldn't be producing much in the way of pressure as it has an air recirculation system (secondary air system in BMW speak, consisting of a rubber pipe on the left of the engine, a manifold across the cam cover and three push in connectors into the cam cover) via the airbox.

So, these pipes and their terminations should be inspected before you go ripping it apart.

Also, if you do go inside, there is a gasket between the bottom of the cam cover and the top of the cylinder head down between the camshafts which won't produce a leak at the outside but could be allowing the crankcase to pressurise more than it should. Cover bolts torque is 10Nm and you are quite correct the cover gasket can be re-used if OK with appropriate sealant.

If you can be specific about exactly whereabouts the leak/bubbles are coming from and also if you can clean the area to be even more specific, we might be able to point you in the right direction.

Also, you really should get a copy of RepROM, the BMW workshop manual for the K. £100'ish from the stealers or about £20 on t'internet. Just goggle RepROM.

Good luck Brian, Brian

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 07:03:13 pm »
Radiator out job and you know what that means.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Bian2512

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 08:14:48 pm »
Hi guys, thanks for the info. The bike has just done 30k miles, full bmw service history, and is due a service, but the big service is not until 36k. I will check the air recirc pipes, but im gonna be stripping the old gal anyway as she is very tatty, looks like she's spent most of her life outside (rusty bolts, scratched panels, dirt and leafs behind panels etc), definitely not been shown much love. I'm well aware of the Radiator issues, so yes that'll be coming off for a good clean/inspection, and as the rest of the bike is in a bit of a state, ill probably be in the market for a new one!! Also thanks for the recommendation of the maintenance manual, i'll definitely be ordering one of them. The oil leak is coming from the r/h side front corner of the top cover, right at the corner, then it dribbles down the block and into the bottom fairing, then out all over the rear tyre!!! I suppose it'll all become clear once i get the cover off and have a look at the gasket, i'll keep you posted. I did try and post a picture, but couldn't find how to do it.

Regards

Bian

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 08:18:58 pm »
Search the How to section for photo posting.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 09:05:35 pm »
The oil leak is coming from the r/h side front corner of the top cover, right at the corner,

OK, that, I would almost guarantee, is the gasket. (Kim - 10/10, Gold Star, Plus House Point etc. etc. )

30K miles with a FBMW history is a good bike. I'll take the dead leaves and the grot over a non-history'd bike any day. Get yourself some decent gasket goo (Not Gasket Goo  8), much better products these days) before you go in and gen up on the filters insede the cam cover and the routing of the air system pipework.

Enjoy!

Offline StewartFMD

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 10:41:37 pm »
Hi There.
I have exactly the same issue as Brian.
My bike is a 2012 with 10,000 miles on it so was not expecting this type of issue.
I have got the radiator off now and it looks quite tight getting the rocker cover off.
Any tips or advice would be most welcome.

Offline Bian2512

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 03:35:06 pm »
Hi, I stripped off radiator, removed top cover and all looked ok. Was tempted to cleaned all faces and rubber gasket and refit but bought new gasket. Built back up and all has been fine, done about 5k miles since and no leaks.
Hope this helps
Bian

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 05:52:14 pm »
Thanks for getting back with the result. It seems like your bike is haunted  :o

Offline Zecopeca

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 08:17:56 am »
Thank you all for the very useful information. I just noticed the very same problem with my K1300S on the top right corner of the head cover. I have now bought a new gasket but just wanted to ask the experts if do I need to apply sealant or as it is a new gasket, there is no need?
Also I think there is an inner gasket as well. Does that needs replacing as well or not necessary if it still in good shape? Mine is a 2012 plate with 35k.

Many thanks in advance.

Offline Bian2512

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 09:33:17 am »
No sealant needed, just make sure the engine and top cover mating surfaces are clean and dry. As for inner gasket, not sure what you mean but I didn't change any other gasket.
Bian

Offline Zecopeca

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2019, 11:18:11 pm »
ok great. Thanks for confirming. I will get on with it.
Regards

Offline HoSS

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2020, 12:15:56 pm »
I've just had this same problem, replaced the gasket, and it still leaks.
(By the way you do need sealant in a few spots, the service manual asks  you to put it in the corners of the 2 round cut outs on the left, and it had it before in those places)
I've done a bit more searching and come up with several people who said the dealer found that the chain guide was shifting up and pushing on the cover. Chain guide replaced to fix it.
I guess i'll get the cover off again....