Author Topic: Some movement in front wheel - couple of creaks etc  (Read 8295 times)

Coully

Re: Some movement in front wheel - couple of creaks etc
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2020, 11:15:15 am »
Sorry for all the updates folks . It's as things come to me.
Heading into John Clark today , will get more info. If needs be I may ask if they can get fault codes for the abs and then look into pulling it out and getting it refurbed (in for a penny in for a pound ) I guess. I've looked up rae links but also If anyone else has possible places to try 

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2020, 12:04:15 pm »
If pistons have been sticking you could easily have boiled the fluid. Brakes at the best of times can be a sod to bleed, even for a main dealer with the correct equipment. Is it possible that there is still air in the system throwing up the fault.

Coully

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2020, 12:10:32 pm »
I would hope that such a schoolboy issue would have been their 1st port of call. I appreciate everyone can miss things. The old , pull the lever to the bar and tie it overnight is something I always remember  :)

But will find out when I go in I guess

Offline TomK1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2020 R 1250 GS Adv
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Exhaust, Screen, hand guards.
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2020, 04:37:49 pm »
I remember reading a service bulitin for bleeding the brakes on the K1200s K1200r K1300s and K1300r, it was pointing out that when replacing the pads the piston should not be pushed back into the caliper without opening the bleed nipple first on that caliper, forcing the fluid back into the ABS Modulator can damage it, the other reason was any SH1t or bits in the caliper coulds also end up in the workings of the unit.
It is also advisable to change the fluid every 12 to 24 months or when changing the pads.

Also the brakes on all the above can not be bleed correctly without a diagnostic tool.

Perhaps Costas will be along shortly to confirm this,   or not,   8) ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 04:43:24 pm by TomK1300s »
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2020, 04:50:25 pm »
Well if that's true about pushing the pistons back then that's whats caused my problem as that's what I was doing

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300 Dynamic
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Autocom, BSD remap, 170 at the wheel. SC project can with baffle removed.Lust 25mm lowering plates
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2020, 05:43:12 pm »
Makes sense ! And point noted. Thank you.

Regards. Mick
No problems only Solutions

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Autocom, BSD remap, 170 at the wheel. SC project can with baffle removed.Lust 25mm lowering plates
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2020, 08:11:56 pm »
Me again guys, just had a look at the reprom, there’s no mention of not pushing back the Caliper pistons , in fact they even described doing so with their special tool. So I imagine there’s been a problem in the past with debris getting back flushed into the ABS unit, bleeding the system seems pretty normal .
Before I change the pads I’ll flush out the system with new fluid to minimise any dirt ingress.
We had the problem on the wife’s car, series 1, another common problem. Brake fluid is hygroscopic and the moisture  that gets into the fluid rusts up the valves in the ABS distribution block, for a while they repaired it as a goodwill gesture, when that finished they discounted the valve block by 60%, we missed that boat too  and had to pay £600

Regards.  Mick

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2020, 08:20:22 pm »
Been out for a 160 mile round trip today, the first ride on the K since lockdown began. I damaged the cartilages in my wrists this time last year and they are not right yet, and maybe never will but as well as my braking hand suffering from too much work, I did get the impression that my brakes weren't up to scratch. Methinks it might have to go in for a brake overhaul before the Wrinklies trip.

Oh, and I need many more miles before then, totally knackered  ::)

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2020, 08:31:16 pm »
Brian maybe a fluid change in both units ! Dot 4 for the bike and a nice red wine for you ......

Mick

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2020, 09:50:59 pm »
I agree, on both counts Mick...

The bike has only done two Wrinklies trips in the last two years plus a bit of local stuff for various reasons and the fluid certainly needs renewing.

I was thinking of popping it into Cotswold Motorrad but I've heard not good things about them so will probably take it back to North Oxford in whom I have more confidence.

Unfortunately today is a fast day (5/2 diet) so no red liquid for me  ::)

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2020, 10:11:04 pm »
Not good news then, I knocked the booze on the head just after the lockdown shut the pubs , lost over a stone.
Going to change out the fluid in the brakes when I get 5 mins before I get any probs.
I’ve just done the Jeep but I sucked out the master cyl then just kept filling and bleeding through each wheel, I couldn’t find the ABS unit to see if there were any bleed nipples on it but they work fine now inc the ABS.

Mick

Coully

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2020, 12:07:41 pm »
I've been pushing the pistons in too when changing pads .  :-[
Bike received back today. Now to nose about eBay/breakers for parts

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2020, 12:56:37 pm »
Not good news then, I knocked the booze on the head just after the lockdown shut the pubs , lost over a stone.
Going to change out the fluid in the brakes when I get 5 mins before I get any probs.
I’ve just done the Jeep but I sucked out the master cyl then just kept filling and bleeding through each wheel, I couldn’t find the ABS unit to see if there were any bleed nipples on it but they work fine now inc the ABS.

Mick

Since lockdown started the only thing I've been drinking is my home brew. Luckily I am woeful at planning, so, having just got to the bottom of the keg of pilsner I made, I now have at least 4 weeks until I can drink again. Pretty good yo-yo drinking diet :P. It could be 8 weeks if I get two brews going, due to infrastructure constraints.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2020, 01:00:41 pm »
The pubs are open you know...

Coully

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2020, 01:55:02 pm »
Update...I have brakes.

I have aftermarket levers on the bike and at some point the adjustment has moved past the end point ...they have 6 settings and I have them on 5/6 . They were adjusted off the scale or turned off the scale but it having moved it back it would appear I have front brakes and the lever does not come back to the bar.
I'll go back out again in a wee while and check it's not due to me pumping the brake that I have brakes . That's a ray of sunshine.
If it is that simple a fix, that's a little worrying but then we can all miss the little things at times. 

Much obliged to all whom gave contributed so far though...anyone ever passing Aberdeen is welcome to an appropriately distanced drink ...coffee...beer ...hot choc  ;D