Author Topic: STARTER SOLENOID  (Read 1814 times)

Offline drifter

• View Profile
STARTER SOLENOID
« on: July 31, 2020, 05:07:55 pm »
Buongiorno cari motociclisti.
I have been away for a while because of the covid. (unwell) I have a problem , I started the bike 2 weeks ago and all went well, today I took it for the MOT and after leaving the garage, stopped for a drink and the bike would not start again. The battery is new and all the dash comes on as normal, the chap from the RAC said it may be the starter solenoid, he tested the handlebar switch and the side stand switch, both ok. Can anyone point me towards the location of the solenoid please, unless you may have any other suggestions. Many thanks, Gino

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: STARTER SOLENOID
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 08:01:30 pm »
Hello drifter,

Did it start again when it was cold?
If so, search on the forum for 'hot start' - for example:

https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=3137.0 (page 2), and so on.

Offline flatfour

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 1300 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Headlight protector, clear front indicators
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 08:06:51 pm »
Considering the heat and strong sun today, could this be the right - hand switch gear failure as I had on my K1300GT a while ago?

Offline drifter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 09:49:41 am »
Many thanks for the prompt reply............you were right, the bike started this morning, it must take a long time for the switch to normalize  as the bike still would not start at 6pm when the temperature dropped by a few degrees. Is there a cure for it or does it need a new switch? I think they should be replaced free by BMW. thanks again
Gino

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 09:57:36 am »
They'll replace it if you have taken out the BMW warranty.
If you take it to a BMW garage, they'll be able to advise on the switch, and whether it's cracked through heat stress.

But do beware, you may still may have to upgrade the wiring loom. But the switch is a cheaper place to start.

EDIT: Thinking on, it may be your loom has been upgraded, of course, which would eliminate one more thing.
You can tell if your loom has been upgraded by this extra red strap on the battery:
https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=3137.msg37760#msg37760
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 10:03:36 am by richtea »

Offline paulotex

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300R
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 10:36:33 am »
I recently had an issue where the bike wouldn't start from cold. I could hear the relay clicking, but that was all. In the end, I turned the engine a bit (I put it in 6th gear and turn the rear wheel), and... the bike started with no issue and has been working ever since. So it might be worth trying. Simply turn the engine a bit.

I don't know what happened in my case, and if it will happen again. The ECU has no fault codes.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 10:57:04 am »
I recently had an issue where the bike wouldn't start from cold. I could hear the relay clicking, but that was all. In the end, I turned the engine a bit (I put it in 6th gear and turn the rear wheel), and... the bike started with no issue and has been working ever since. So it might be worth trying. Simply turn the engine a bit.

I don't know what happened in my case, and if it will happen again. The ECU has no fault codes.
Maybe your starter was stuck.

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 01:28:14 pm »
Crankshaft position sensor having a weird moment...

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 07:57:13 pm »
Old battery is the case for the last one, paulotex.
As for the first the loom is the culpable, if the bike is a 08,09 1300 first edition model. Swiches were and in some cases (fu.....ing dealers are to blamed), still are. Thsi was an issue mainly on 11,12 production.  A problem we still here today after so many years due to dealers tendency to use locally storage parts instead of the newest parts, fm Germany. This resulted to many owners go back to dealer with the same issue, the fortunate ones just a couple of days or weeks after the repair, this time with the right part installed but many unfortunate ones returning after a year or so ending up paying for the replacement part, as the campain was type 2 open only for a certain time period.
Do not have the information on your bike what type and year is as the profil is inconclusive.
Così ti consiglio per la prossima volta fateci sapere che tipo , modelo e anno di moto hai.
Embrace the wind.