Author Topic: New Merseyside Member  (Read 2078 times)

Offline roadwarrior

• View Profile
New Merseyside Member
« on: October 25, 2017, 10:38:27 am »
Hi everyone; I have been asked to introduce myself.

My name is Jeff!  I am 45 from Merseyside.

I have been riding bikes since 2007, when I was working on the Isle of Man.

I started with a Gilera Coguar 125.  It got 80mpg and was free to park at the airport when I was working "abroad". 

From there I bought a 1200cc Suzuki Bandit on the day I passed my test.  It got me 10 miles before spitting oil and dieing with an electrical fault.  I got my money back and have never looked at a bandit since!

Next up was a 1998 Yamaha XJ600.  That was a great bike to ride, and comfy to take a pillion on.  My wife and I did a few short rides through Wales.

While I still had that I bought a 2006 Yamaha R6.  It was a cat C write off, but never gave me an ounce of trouble.  It would get to 100mph (allegedly) and top out at over 170mph (allegedly).  It was dangerous though, and I fell off it into the side of a car. 

I sold both of those bikes and thought I would give up riding.  Tried go karts for a while, and then missed the bikes.

In 2015 I bought a 2000 Yamaha XJ900.  It was a good bike, and I never realized (until I came to sell it) that it was a Cat C bike.

Liking the big bikes I then bought a 2002 BMW R1150RT.  I was surprised how much bike you could get for relatively little cash.  I rode the bike for John O Groats and back and, while I enjoyed it, It was TOO bulky, heavy, and lazy.

Earlier in 2017, I got a 2010 BMW K1300GT Exclusive Edition.  After looking at a few around England I very nearly bought a 2009 model from down south; I even bought a one was train ticket.  Then I saw the beautiful EE version but it was in Ireland.  I took a chance and got it couriered over.  I immediately fell in love with the bike.

I am here because my clutch has recently started slipping.  The details are in a post on the subject. 

I am looking for a friendly, helpful motorbike forum where people dont turn to judge or immediately tell you to spend £1000's changing everything before getting to the root of the issue.

Thanks!  I will help any way I can!

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
Re: New Merseyside Member
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 11:56:48 am »
Hello and welcome, friendly definetly, educational too, filled with real conoseurs of the K bikes at about any issue present.
Embrace the wind.

Offline OxMan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Just sold my K1300R Dynamic in Racing Red (The fastest colour) - and taken delivery of my Guzzi.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: It's a TT Travel : with panniers; high screen; heated grips; cruise; low comfort seat; top box (!); centre stand; Ohlins; Akra sports can; engine bars; extra front fogs; Caponord mudguard/extended...
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 12:58:37 pm »
Hi Jeff - welcome aboard!! I'm a newbie biker despite which, and despite the warnings, I am now on my 2nd K bike after 20 months of riding. The first one didn't blow up but did have a cutting out issue after being laid up in a barn before I bought it...

Good helpful bunch on here - the humour is occasionally challenging and you'll probably get banned at some point, but we're all still here!!
Late emerging biker - took the first bike plunge at 50 with a 12GT : swapped for a 13S 9 months in... then got my mitts on a lovely 2014 13R Dynamic in rrrrrracing rrrrred! Then the COVID came along... so I upped it to France and bought a V85TT... O Sole Mio etc etc!

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 02:07:13 pm »

I am looking for a friendly, helpful motorbike forum where people dont turn to judge or immediately tell you to spend £1000's changing everything before getting to the root of the issue.

You've bought a BMW and don't want to be told you need to spend £1000's? Interesting!  ;)

Welcome
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 10:33:21 am »
Hi Jeff, welcome to the madhouse that is EuroKClub and thanks for introducing yourself.

Now, as for judgemental....take no notice of that eejit Oxblood or whatever his moniker is, he's banned! Permanently!! Humour is challenging? Really, I mean....

Although this lot have more knowledge than some main dealers and certainly more enthusiasm, as you may have learned the hard way with the oil/clutch problem, we all have to throw money at these bikes one way or another.

Offline bobtail

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S (05) departed but well loved! Now R1200RS I am now a Boxerboy.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: I had no bling on my K12 and was proud of it! And it never, ever let me down, honest! And it still had the o.e. battery going strong, honest!
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 12:31:47 pm »
Hi Jeff, welcome to the madhouse that is EuroKClub and thanks for introducing yourself.

Now, as for judgemental....take no notice of that eejit Oxblood or whatever his moniker is, he's banned! Permanently!! Humour is challenging? Really, I mean....

Although this lot have more knowledge than some main dealers and certainly more enthusiasm, as you may have learned the hard way with the oil/clutch problem, we all have to throw money at these bikes one way or another.

Now, now Brian you know damn well that I didn't, ever! ::)

Bob
Are we there yet? I said ARE WE THERE YET? I SAID ARE WE THERE YET?!!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 01:33:17 pm »
There's always one member of the awkward squad isn't there uncle 🙄