Author Topic: Auxiliary Lights  (Read 4227 times)

Offline KTM AL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT Wifes & 1300FJR Mine
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Leo Vince end can
Auxiliary Lights
« on: July 31, 2017, 12:36:07 pm »
 After a nice ride out yesterday with the wife following on the new 1300GT ,I found it difficult to see her in the mirrors so would like to fit some auxiliary spot lights, so she can bee seen ,also it makes it a lot easier for the lead rider to see me at the back of the group on a ride out.
 So does any one have some auxiliary led spot lights fitted to their GT ?
 A photo would be nice. I did search but the post I did find had the photos removed.
 Thanks chaps

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
Re: Auxiliary Lights
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 01:12:40 pm »
Do you want lights to be seen by or to see by?
I hate those riders who seem ride BMW GS's with badly adjusted spots that dazzle everybody.
I prefer  the diffused lens to be seen by. The police used to have them on their R80's way back and were very effective.
I think that when a dazzling light come towards you it is difficult to place the distance it away whereas the more gentle diffused lens is easy to place.   
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline Eyore

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Lots of Polish. Titax levers. GPR end can.R&G Protectors, carbon fibre bling, Tom Tom mount,daytime led lights.Low seat.Oberon clutch slave cylinder.Airblade DB screen,fender extender.Michael Dunlop sticker.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 01:30:57 pm »
Hubby and I both fitted  small led s which are surprisingly effective. Some people argue that they are sensitive to direction, but then again if the headlight is visible directly infront why not have some small leds that would be visible to motorists in junctions. Anything that might impinge on dopey drivers may well be the difference between being seen and not being seen.
The fastest Pizza delivery bike in the west.

Offline KTM AL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 01:33:46 pm »
 Hi
 I don't want those GS mega spots that blind everyone just another set of lights under the rad may be . I have a set of round LED spots mounted to my KTM crash bars, but they won't really look the part on the GT.

Offline KTM AL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 01:35:21 pm »
Hubby and I both fitted  small led s which are surprisingly effective. Some people argue that they are sensitive to direction, but then again if the headlight is visible directly infront why not have some small leds that would be visible to motorists in junctions. Anything that might impinge on dopey drivers may well be the difference between being seen and not being seen.
Hi Eyore
 Have you any phots of the lights that you can post ?

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 05:25:32 pm »
That post with the missing photos was probably mine, I'll go back and edit it for you.

This is the Bullet Light thread, you can also see the spots I fitted.
http://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=51.msg144#msg144
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 05:35:11 pm by raesewell »

Offline KTM AL

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 05:52:01 pm »
 Thanks Rae , they look very neat .
 I think we will go with something a bit bigger, like the ones in front of your oil cooler or something between the two. I have seen some small CREE something like these with the ali cage taken off.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-125W-3000LM-CREE-U5-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Headlight-LED-Fog-Spot-Light-Bulb/281887226318?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 07:06:58 pm »
I went down the cheap lights route on the FJR and in the end bought some of these
https://www.bikevis.com/product/bikevis-cree-motorcycle-auxiliary-lights/

You can see them here last page.
http://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=1133.0

I know the thread is about lights on the FJR but some ideas can be taken from it.

A reminder, if you see any of my posts with the pictures missing, let me know and I will restore them if possible.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 07:25:53 pm by raesewell »

Offline Eyore

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Lots of Polish. Titax levers. GPR end can.R&G Protectors, carbon fibre bling, Tom Tom mount,daytime led lights.Low seat.Oberon clutch slave cylinder.Airblade DB screen,fender extender.Michael Dunlop sticker.
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 08:03:49 pm »
 Hi Eyore
[/quote]

Offline KTM AL

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 08:09:30 pm »
 Thanks Rae nice project.
 I have had a set of cheap LED spots on my KTM for the last 4-5 years and they are still working fine.
 But I know it will be a bit more of a project to get them up in front of the oil cooler of the GT and would be a tad annoying for the cheap ones to pack up and have to re do it all again.

Offline KTM AL

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 08:13:39 pm »
Hi Eyore

[/quote]
 Thanks for the photo .Are they those Bullets from Bikevis? I'm not sure they will be bright enough, they do look neat tucked away like that though.

Offline Eyore

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 08:54:13 pm »
Yes Bikevis, small and unobtrusive, but they do add to the safety without being fugly.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 11:10:10 pm »
Am I the only driver who thinks something with three lights, two of which are small but bright, is a pizza delivery rider on a moped with a badly adjusted headlight 3 miles away being tailgated by a manic taxi driver?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it isn't for others to see you, it is for you to see everything and everyone and ride according to what you see.

Brian (who is invisible to everyone, despite lights and flouro bits and bobs [sorry Uncle Bob] and knows everyone is out to kill him at every opportunity 👓 )

gibbo

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 08:21:02 am »
Am I the only driver who thinks something with three lights, two of which are small but bright, is a pizza delivery rider on a moped with a badly adjusted headlight 3 miles away being tailgated by a manic taxi driver?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it isn't for others to see you, it is for you to see everything and everyone and ride according to what you see.

Brian (who is invisible to everyone, despite lights and flouro bits and bobs [sorry Uncle Bob] and knows everyone is out to kill him at every opportunity 👓 )

Think I'll join you on that one Bri.   ;)

Offline bobtail

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S (05) departed but well loved! Now R1200RS I am now a Boxerboy.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: I had no bling on my K12 and was proud of it! And it never, ever let me down, honest! And it still had the o.e. battery going strong, honest!
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 04:39:33 pm »

None taken PHM but tend to agree with you. Hey but what's all this floury bit thing you doing a spot of baking then? Ah yes I see it's a pizo reference.

Bob
Are we there yet? I said ARE WE THERE YET? I SAID ARE WE THERE YET?!!