Author Topic: Base Layers  (Read 6194 times)

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
Re: Base Layers
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2017, 09:46:29 am »
Got two sets of merino stuff, one does have a very small amount of polyester the other 100% merino. The 100% one can get a bit stretchy, the other holds its shape well. I get my merino socks from Marks and Sparks. They are great, cool in the summer and warm in the winter and thin so it is easy to wear two pairs when really cold but rarely need to as I use sheepskin inner soles. merino is great stuff in my view.
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline OxMan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Just sold my K1300R Dynamic in Racing Red (The fastest colour) - and taken delivery of my Guzzi.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: It's a TT Travel : with panniers; high screen; heated grips; cruise; low comfort seat; top box (!); centre stand; Ohlins; Akra sports can; engine bars; extra front fogs; Caponord mudguard/extended...
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2017, 11:04:37 am »
Another vote for merino - in my case some thermals I had from an old Lapland holiday a few years back... in terms of jackets I have recently gone for a Rokker Black Jakket and love it... it allows a degree of cool air through and has other features that make it safe, comfortable, effective...  :)
Late emerging biker - took the first bike plunge at 50 with a 12GT : swapped for a 13S 9 months in... then got my mitts on a lovely 2014 13R Dynamic in rrrrrracing rrrrred! Then the COVID came along... so I upped it to France and bought a V85TT... O Sole Mio etc etc!

Offline Gracaz

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300r
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Carbon Hugger, Carbon Oil Cooler protector, SW motech rear rack, MIVV Carbon exhaust, Headlight Protector , AC Schnitzer Superbike handlebar conversion
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 04:38:00 pm »
Cheer for all info and opinions finally got myself into gear and ventured into Mountain Warehouse today to have a look see, very helpful member of staff who pointed me in the direction of base layers. Result got myself long sleeved tee reduced from £30 to £9.99 bargain looking forward to seeing/feeling results.

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2017, 06:27:51 am »
Don't quite understand why putting on base layers will make you cooler..
I have a summer jacket with all the armouring but is mainly a mesh design so air flows through it keeping you cool (unless your stuck filtering through traffic). With that i carry a water proof thin over jacket just incase it rains
its to do with efficiently moving sweat away from your body, as the sweat evaporates it uses heat which is removed from the body resulting in a cooling effect, anyone who has sufffered the dripping teeshirt effect during a hot days ride can testify to the desirability of getting moisture away ASAP  :D
Being a person who in the summer often has a sweat soaked T shirt from working in hot places I find a blast of air over the sodden shirt helps dry it, although the drying shirt does have a not so nice pungent odour..  :-[

Offline yorkiebiker

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Booster plugin, HID lights, schnitzer air filters
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2017, 08:46:48 am »
Base layers Arco safety equipment thats where i get mine work well but also have a cool down vest you soak it in water for 3 mins sqeeze out excess and put on over base layer or tight tee shirts evaporation keeps you really cool or wear dry in cold weather for warmth got mine online Louis Giga store Germany lot cheaper than BMW.
Live for today tomorrow may never come

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2017, 10:16:03 am »
Being a person who in the summer often has a sweat soaked T shirt from working in hot places I find a blast of air over the sodden shirt helps dry it, although the drying shirt does have a not so nice pungent odour..  :-[
[/quote]

Merino wool apparently hides the odour for some time.
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2017, 12:49:14 pm »

Merino wool apparently hides the odour for some time.
[/quote]
Then lets it go in one big blast  ???  ;D

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2017, 01:00:13 pm »
The Merino sheep wool has a type of armour like shell which the bacteria find it hard to cling to and therefore no bacteria no smell.

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2017, 02:22:58 pm »
Must buy me a few of these sheep and surround my dog in them, having a long hair GSD means a constant smell of wet dog

Offline mab1067

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Titanium / red short levers, Invisible patterns, Modified rack to fit Givi topbox. Large BMW Soft bag.
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2017, 07:04:29 pm »
never much issue with top half being cool up here. Howeer did have issue in Ireland this year with rear ending up sore. Not uncomforable due to seat but sweating and back of my legs killing me.
Wore Cycling shorts but still seemd to catch all the bloody hairs on the back of my legs. Tried talcom powder and it just went int a white goo.

Any ideas ??
Mark Barbour

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2017, 01:50:09 pm »
Sounds more like a sesitivity issue. Are you wearing anything different?

Offline mab1067

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Titanium / red short levers, Invisible patterns, Modified rack to fit Givi topbox. Large BMW Soft bag.
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2017, 01:52:56 pm »
Not really, but i am a sensitive soul  :o ;D
Mark Barbour

Offline Paul C

• Global Moderator
  • ...ooh, why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2017, 07:08:47 pm »
Shave or leg wax?  :o
GSA, CCM GP450, Moto Guzzi Lemans II. Once had a K1200GT

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2017, 11:07:08 am »
For those who may be considering the stuff, here are some base layer items on offer from EDZ, an excellent purveyor of excellent stuff...

https://www.edzlayering.com/collections/mens-all-climate

...but hurry!

Use discount code MAC_10 at the checkout to get 10%
off anything in our All Climate range
discount code expires  Monday 14th August 2017.

Offline bobtail

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S (05) departed but well loved! Now R1200RS I am now a Boxerboy.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: I had no bling on my K12 and was proud of it! And it never, ever let me down, honest! And it still had the o.e. battery going strong, honest!
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2017, 04:41:41 pm »
EDZ every day for me. Used them for many moons and swear by them. First class.

Bob
Are we there yet? I said ARE WE THERE YET? I SAID ARE WE THERE YET?!!