Author Topic: My Zumo 550 is dead - what next?  (Read 6419 times)

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
Re: My Zumo 550 is dead - what next?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2018, 08:45:55 am »
I should maybe add to my previous post that I don't know if it is possible to stay in a conversation while using Vox, and I even think it's not possible. I rarely ever used Vox.
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2018, 08:50:37 am »
If you want to see the Tomtoms and Senas in action, consider coming over for the Wrinklies trip  ;D

howlindawg

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2018, 09:56:02 am »
If you want to see the Tomtoms and Senas in action, consider coming over for the Wrinklies trip  ;D

I was thinking of that, June is good for me.
Of course, by June I might need a visa to get into the UK.  :P

But.... how would I find you without a GPS. ;)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2018, 10:49:36 am »
You could always ask a policeman, but you may have to commit a crime to find one  :o

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2018, 08:09:10 pm »
You been at the Pernod Rae? Find a policeman! Here in UK? More chance of being gored by a rampant Unicorn...

The really impressive thing about the start of conversations with the Sena compared with the Autocom is there is no need to blow kisses or raspberries to fire the system up. I heard every word in every sentance when Rae spoke on the Wrinklies.

howlindawg

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2019, 09:22:58 pm »
TomTom 550 and Cardo system ordered... just waiting for the boxes to arrive.

Repair of the 550 by Garmin wasn't an option unfortunately so I've jumped ship. :)

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2019, 03:38:26 pm »
TomTom 550 and Cardo system ordered... just waiting for the boxes to arrive.

This should do it, for sure. Which Cardo model did you prefer then, finally ?
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

howlindawg

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2019, 08:23:19 pm »

After reviewing the different models I reckoned the Freecom-4 fit the bill best but the voice control on the higher end models was tempting. When I finally went to order the Freecom4 wasn't in stock so I was offered a deal I couldn't refuse on the Packtalk slim which was in stock (open box but unused).

I installed it into my Shoei today and the SQ is impressive for media and phone.
I haven't tried rider-to-pillion or GPS integration yet.
I'm still trying to get used to the physical and voice controls.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2019, 09:15:52 pm »
I always think that voice control is well over rated. It never worked with my old dog, my ex-wife or anyone I had dominion over in the armed forces...give me a switch, a button or a gun any time  8)

howlindawg

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2019, 10:27:05 pm »
Good point.
Perhaps I should have a Judicial Birch installed to reinforce voice commands.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2019, 10:33:28 pm »
I should add that 'my' definition of a 'switch' is an electrical circuit open and closing device. Not a big stick with which to beat people! Although...

Seriously (what, the gun comment wasn't serious?) if you ride with an open face or flip front helmet then wind noise can seriously degrade the comprehension, by the system, of voice commands!

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2019, 08:12:56 am »

After reviewing the different models I reckoned the Freecom-4 fit the bill best but the voice control on the higher end models was tempting. When I finally went to order the Freecom4 wasn't in stock so I was offered a deal I couldn't refuse on the Packtalk slim which was in stock (open box but unused).

I installed it into my Shoei today and the SQ is impressive for media and phone.
I haven't tried rider-to-pillion or GPS integration yet.
I'm still trying to get used to the physical and voice controls.

I have a Scala 9X and find the voice commands to be a bit of a pain! Connection to the Tomtom works really well. Wired connection to the MP3 player works really well. Bike to bike and rider to pillion all works really well but, somehow, the unit translates "aaahh-chooo" into radio on! :(  And whatever you do, don't sing along to the music!!!

The worst part is that, having inadvertently changed the setting, getting it to understand the commend to return to where it was is significantly harder than it should be. I've found that I have to say "beep" to it quite loudly first before it then listens to what I'm asking it to do!!!
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2019, 09:24:25 am »
HAL 9000: "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qnd-hdmgfk

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2019, 11:42:58 am »
Or in the case of the Sena, 'Say a commaaaand. Say a commaaaand. Say a commaaaand. Say a commaaaand.'

howlindawg

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2019, 01:57:46 pm »
I should add that 'my' definition of a 'switch' is an electrical circuit open and closing device. Not a big stick with which to beat people! Although...

Seriously (what, the gun comment wasn't serious?) if you ride with an open face or flip front helmet then wind noise can seriously degrade the comprehension, by the system, of voice commands!

I prefer my interpretation. ;)

Installation into my full face Shoei was quick and straightforward.
I used the stick on mic and it's OK for voice commands.
At motorway speeds I have to shout at it take make myself clearly understood; not entirely dislike a marriage in that respect.  :o

I might try the boom mic option which could be placed closer to my mouth so it should be better but it may not be as neat or convenient.

The TomTom has arrived and is currently updating so I'm off to solder the adapter for the K13s GPS power connecter to the TomTom harness.