Author Topic: BMW HP Dash Retrofit - Guide  (Read 19474 times)

Offline sitting_duck

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2013 K1300S 30th Year
  • Modifications and add-ons:: LED indicators, LED H7 Conversion, HP Dash
Re: BMW HP Dash Retrofit - Guide
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2019, 05:03:02 pm »
 imagine you've got a packet capture and you're trying to work out what the capture is telling you without the aid of any software to parse the headers and flags.

How does that sound?

It sounds like running Wireshark in Braille. No, it feels like running Wireshark in Braille.  8)

Spot on that man  ;)

Offline Rawdon

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2022, 09:44:01 pm »
Evening Mr Duck, I could do with some help on this subject if possible. I'm just about to start on this upgrade myself, but im having trouble finding any info about doing this myself..
I've got the dash on order, and have managed to track down the last remaining loom and switch in the country. But finding it impossible to get the bracket( I can fabricate one if need be.)  Did you take any pictures of the actual installation that I could see if possible please?
The main issue however is the programming,  is this possible with the motoscan app do you think or will I have to get some more complicated software.
Also did you ever get round to customising the dash software, and if so what features did you manage to enable?
Many thanks  R

Offline sitting_duck

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2022, 06:25:57 pm »
Hi Rawdon

I've replied to your PM but for everyone elses benefit, you absolutely need the BMW software and hardware interface to do this. The long and short of it is the BMW Software has a procedure to retrofit this dash, where it tells you what to do and when - it reads the odometer reading from your old clocks and ECU and then writes that milage back into the new dash and updates the ECU with various bits of data so it all works (the dash needs to know it's a K1300 as opposed to an S1000 for eg).

The fittting is so easy I didn't bother to photo it - it's exactly as per the BMW instructions you get with the dash.

I haven't gotten round to the software tweaks I'd intended to - thanks to covid my business collapsed and I've ended up going in a very different direction job wise etc so I just don't have the spare time I used to!

That all said, if anyone wants a hand doing this to your bike you're more than welcome to use mine if you can get to West Yorkshire!

Offline LavaRocket

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Carbon stuff, HP2 Dash
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2022, 10:44:22 pm »
Hi @sitting_duck,

joined this forum to follow you on your efforts about customizing the D2 Dash. Have you made any progress in that regards?
I believe I have all the cables necessary to connect to it but need some guidance on how to replace some of the timers with e.g. gas, temps etc.

Cheers,
Ingo.

Offline sitting_duck

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2023, 02:28:08 pm »
Holy thread resurrection!

Sorry I didn't see your message @LavaRocket.

You need to be able to capture the canbus messages and work out what it is that you're looking for and if there's any scaling required to get it to display the value in the format you want.

Your best bet is to grab all the 2d dash software and see what it can read natively.

It's a very very involved process.

Nick