Author Topic: Brake pads  (Read 25271 times)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Brake pads
« Reply #90 on: September 09, 2018, 09:50:34 pm »
Going back to the sinthered pads, this is what mine looked like after two weeks of use and a few hundred miles.

This doesn't seem right to me, all this pitting. So I replace dthem with EBC FA671 from Motorworks:.
I would like to see them after the bike is put away wet. That and where they have sat against the discs.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2018, 11:11:11 am »
Bloody hell Tom. They look like the fields of Flanders after the great war.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2018, 03:49:17 pm »
Did you deliberately wait until 11.11.11 to post that?

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2018, 04:08:29 pm »
haha!

This thread has reminded me I need to buy pads for the bike AND the car! And then tyres for at least the car!

And more beer... making ingredients.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2018, 07:59:40 pm »
Did you deliberately wait until 11.11.11 to post that?

You couldn't do it if you tried, the internet demon would farkle it up. But so, so apposite...

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2018, 04:02:35 pm »
First factory fitting metzelers do not last longer that 4000 so well done on fast riding .
Rear brakes disc and pads are solemnly your mistake . Do not use rear brake if needed the system will engage then via the abs pump. So your right foot away fm it .
Embrace the wind.

howlindawg

« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2019, 05:05:41 pm »
I changed the tyres on the K1300S over the weekend (Pilot Road 4) and swapped out the rear pads while I had the wheel off.
Fitted the Carbone Lorraine RX3 pads as recommended and once they bedded in they're quite impressive.

They bite progressively, are quiet and easily powerful enough to match the fronts.

New rubber and brakes - there's nothing like it to rejuvenate a bike. :)

Well the Carbone Lorraine rear pads eventually wore out.
After my initial enthusiasm I was underwhelmed.
I thought the performance deteriorated rapidly over their lifetime and they were pretty mediocre after a few months.

I've replaced them with Ferodo Platinum Series on the rear and they've been really good. Better braking than stock and very easy to modulate. Overall I prefer them.

The fronts need replacing now so I dropped out to the local dealership this morning.
€183.39 for a set of pads (that's parts only, not fitted).

I'd be tempted to try the Ferodos all round next time since the rears have been so good.

Brake-Pads

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2019, 08:51:09 pm »
I understand your pain but the concensus from those who have shopped around and who ride at, shall we say, speed, is that the stock pads are the best at the front. I'm sticking with them and my rears will outlast me cos rear brakes are for the clever ones among us...

howlindawg

« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2019, 09:48:25 pm »
I understand your pain but the concensus from those who have shopped around and who ride at, shall we say, speed, is that the stock pads are the best at the front. I'm sticking with them and my rears will outlast me cos rear brakes are for the clever ones among us...

I don't doubt that the OEM pads are the best option in terms of stopping power and disc wear, hence I forked out for them.

But given that a set of OEM pads is around the same cost as a pair of Brembo Gold lines (series Oro) it's tempting to just swap out the discs and run whatever HH pads take your fancy.

Mind you, I'm easy on pads so these will probably last me another 30'000 Kms :D

Coully

« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2019, 09:31:14 am »
for piece of mind, and a little laziness, the picture at the top of the page is of a set of rear pads?.. the front ones being shorter and the hole in the middle at the top?
a noob query i know but i havent had the opportunity /weather to strip n clean my calipers yet,.... well, not strictly true but when its no been in BMW i'm trying to get it ridden  ;D

Offline paulotex

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300R
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2019, 10:42:53 am »
for piece of mind, and a little laziness, the picture at the top of the page is of a set of rear pads?.. the front ones being shorter and the hole in the middle at the top?
a noob query i know but i havent had the opportunity /weather to strip n clean my calipers yet,.... well, not strictly true but when its no been in BMW i'm trying to get it ridden  ;D

Yep, rear pads. Not happy at all with them. Removed after a few 100s miles.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2019, 07:24:55 pm »
Series oro are not for our disks, they are for the 100rr but not for any K bike.
Any dealer that suggests they are better go back to school.
CL appear to be the best solution for they arw not hard on discs, any other brand will lead to a disc change . Of course someone would argue that BREMBO and TTW-LUCAS make discs and sale at a fraction of BMW OEM. But really you are sacrificing the best brake combination for a couple of pounds? .
Embrace the wind.

howlindawg

« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2019, 09:08:30 pm »
Series oro are not for our disks, they are for the 100rr but not for any K bike.
Any dealer that suggests they are better go back to school.
CL appear to be the best solution for they arw not hard on discs, any other brand will lead to a disc change . Of course someone would argue that BREMBO and TTW-LUCAS make discs and sale at a fraction of BMW OEM. But really you are sacrificing the best brake combination for a couple of pounds? .

For what it's worth;
I was underwhelmed by the rear brakes on the K. I tried the CL pads but they went off very quickly. I wouldn't recommend them.

I've now replaced the OEM rear disc with a Brembo Series Oro Disc and am using Ferodo Platinum pads. I find this combo superior to OEM both on the road and for track days.

I still run the OEM pads and discs up front and am happy with the performance.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 09:12:19 pm by howlindawg »

Offline paulotex

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300R
« Reply #103 on: May 03, 2019, 07:16:31 am »
Reviving this long threat to ask for a bit of information. This is for OEM front pads.

It seems there are two part numbers:

This is what I thought was the correct part.

But I also found:
THis is also advertised as being the correct BMW part number for the front brake pads.

Does anyone know the difference? Are they the same?

I can buy the latter new for a fraction of the price, and wanted to make sure I am keeping the same stopping power.

Thanks

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2019, 04:20:32 pm »
Have you checked on Realoem?
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.