Author Topic: Intercom recommendations.  (Read 11010 times)

Offline Perbunan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
Intercom recommendations.
« on: May 02, 2016, 07:52:58 pm »
I'm looking for a bike to bike intercom system to keep in touch with my mate on days out etc. as he has a habit of taking off in the wrong direction  >:(  so to avoid using my mobile to find out where the hell he is at I've decided we need the ability to talk enroute. Not looking at high end gear so sub £100 would be good if anyone has any suggestions, there are sub £60 sets on eBay and stuff over £200 so what should I get?

Offline Bruno

• View Profile
Re: Intercom recommendations.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 08:16:56 pm »
I have an older Sena (SMH10) which works very well, but I suspect that it will probably exceed your 100 budget.
If at first you don't succeed then skydiving definitely isn't for you.

Steven Wright

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 08:41:17 pm »
You will struggle on that budget to get anything other than an older Autocom and some radios (Midland) and that will probably mean two of you stumping up and nearly doubling the  budget.
Trouble is if you go Blue tooth route you will need to get the wedge out to ensure you have a fighting chance of speaking to each other out of line of sight and a few hundred metres away.

I bought a Great Carda Scala Q3 Twin Set for £200.00 all in but only use it for Rider to Pillion, it is supposed to do bike to bike. But what clinches the deal for me is purpose built earplugs and speaker in same, they would then blow your  budget out of the water.
I would be inclined to go the Autocom route and radio as they are supposed to be good over decent distances.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:42:49 pm by JackSnipe »
JS

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 08:48:42 pm »
Might find some old intercom4 at around 200 even less, a good decent system that serves you, your phone, music, gps, and the rider next to you, a third person with a similar intercom system would be able only to hear you. The new 5 edition does all the previus system does but this time up to six riders can communicate. The system is good for eye to eye (line of sight) up to 3 kms a huge distance for such a system. 5 costs around 300.
Midland and any walkie talkie system would involve a lot of cables and many efforts to tune among them each time. They do offer comes at longer distances again line of sight comms being vhf system.
In market currently best is the sena system but could go with all its gadjets to 500.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 08:33:31 am by Costas »
Embrace the wind.

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 09:47:35 pm »
I've been casually looking for a headset but just for satnav.  I end up at 150-200 per set for something with range.  Interphone and Sena seemed decent.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline heatherdrift

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 10:41:02 pm »
I also have Sena SMH10 which works surisingly well, bike to bike for up to 3 friends plus me.

Paid approx £130 about 3 years ago so if you go the second hand route I would have assumed it will now be less than £100.

Good luck

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 11:11:25 pm »
I've been casually looking for a headset but just for satnav.  I end up at 150-200 per set for something with range.  Interphone and Sena seemed decent.

Isn't there a headphone socket on your sat-nav so you can just plug moulded earplugs (or just plain old stero headphones) into?

My Garmin 660 has a headphone socket on the head unit and another on a flying lead on the motorcycle fitting kit cable set! Simples!

Brian (who doesn't often do simple, but would if he only needed sat nav instructions  8) )

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 07:30:33 am »
Probably is but I'm sure I'm so... whatever the word is, I'm asleep still... I'd be too scared of snagging the cable and damaging them.

However my solutions has been to use some 10 quid Bluetooth receiver.  Took it away with me last week and it lasted over 10 hours of satnav directions.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R Sport; 2007
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 09:13:32 am »
For bike to bike, my mate and I purchased a couple of radios and helmet headsets with push to talk buttons mounted on the handlebars. Not great at speed but just the job when going through towns or if you lose sight of each other. The cable connections are 5 pin DIN and do not cope well with reconnection by gloved hands as my friend discovered. It was after that enforced silence half way through our tour of Ireland that we realised just how useful the setup had been.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 11:04:23 am by Dusty »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 10:49:44 am »
Probably is but I'm sure I'm so... whatever the word is, I'm asleep still... I'd be too scared of snagging the cable and damaging them.

However my solutions has been to use some 10 quid Bluetooth receiver.  Took it away with me last week and it lasted over 10 hours of satnav directions.

So, what are you using to get the noise into you ears?

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 03:21:51 pm »

So, what are you using to get the noise into you ears?

Haha the moulded earplugs!  But the receiver is in my jacket pocket and not attached to bike :)

Offline Perbunan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 05:28:29 pm »
Ok thanks, looks like upping the budget then, whilst taking lessons and test in the 90's we used decent radio systems to hear the instructor so I'd presumed with 20+ yrs technology having passed they would be a bit cheaper.... ::)

Offline Niall

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 08 K12GT SE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: More lights than a mod scooter
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 03:25:22 pm »
I have an Interfone F5 (I think that's the spelling). Its an old one - much updated since I got in early 2014. There was a 5+ as I recall, I opted for the cheaper F5 because I didn't need the additional features.

The usual caveat - speaker positioning is everything. If its by your ear - great. If not - poor
Sospes persantas? Age! Fac ut diem...

Offline Perbunan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 06:03:30 pm »
Right, I've decided to push the boat out and get one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-800M-Interphone-BT-Bluetooth-Motorbike-Motorcycle-Helmet-Intercom-FM-Headset-/290939889759?hash=item43bd5e685f:g:6m8AAOSwAYtWQrV0

It works out at £28 each  :) so even if it only lasts a year I can replace it with another one without breaking the bank.

YouTube review here

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AkCgIEK7jdE

Once they arrive and have been tested I will post my thoughts!

Offline mab1067

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Titanium / red short levers, Invisible patterns, Modified rack to fit Givi topbox. Large BMW Soft bag.
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 09:19:47 am »
I bought the Interphone FM3C a couple of years ago. Think it was £190. Dealer fitted perfectly and set up so no issue from get go. Brilliant for sat-nav / phone / music etc. Connect bluetooth to everything and mute function which is great when wife on the back, ha ha.
Cant complain about this set.
Mark Barbour