Author Topic: Engine stopped while pulling away: electrics work and EWS warning on display  (Read 3419 times)

Offline Lightning_650

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT
Hi All.Long time/no post...time goes by soooo fast,and I have no excuse for this forum being my first port of call for today's problem with my K1300GT.
Pulled away from car park,(St Ives Motorcycle Festival),15mph not really gunning it,engine just cuts out...nothing else,just the motor,immediate EWS warning and EML symbol on the display.Won't turn over,strangely the alarm messed about for a bit too,i.e,could turn it off on the fob but a few seconds later it would wail again.Until after a few minutes then it stopped and went back to normal.
But still no engine turn over or start and warnings on the display.
Dropped the battery earth for a couple of minutes,no change.
Removed the fuse on the Datatool alarm/immob,(fitted alongside the BMW version as demanded by the insurance company)
Recovered home,will call Steve at Motoscot in the am unless anyone has any suggestions.
Btw,my bike still has the hot start issue intermittently,when it happens I just patiently wait for it to start rather than beg BMW to sort out an issue on an 8 year old bike.
TIA,
Lance
Lifes a bitch.And then you die.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Removed the fuse on the Datatool alarm/immob,(fitted alongside the BMW version as demanded by the insurance company)

Sorry that I have nothing more helpful to say than I'll bet your problem will be found here.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
My mind goes to the electric swich in the power cable. 
This is a part of the hot start harness that should have been changed by your dealer long time ago at no cost.
Next is the switch. Same as above .
Embrace the wind.

Offline Lightning_650

• View Profile
My mind goes to the electric swich in the power cable. 
This is a part of the hot start harness that should have been changed by your dealer long time ago at no cost.
Next is the switch. Same as above .
Costas,thank you for that,I'll have to borrow a manual to find where this switch is located.
As my bike still has the intermittent,"hot start",issue,i imagine that the replacement harness has never been fitted.
Funny thing ,my Ducati ST2 also had the same intermittent hot starting issue ,but afaIk Ducati never did anything about it.
I bought an upgrade kit offf a Ducati forum seller,it was thicker battery to solenoid/solenoid to starter cables.Sorted it straightaway.
Lance
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 10:40:02 pm by Lightning_650 »

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
Talked with my trusted mechanic and he  suggest a visit to a dealer with a pic since he said the fault of EWS would click an interim fault code viewable to pc.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Lightning_650

• View Profile
Talked with my trusted mechanic and he  suggest a visit to a dealer with a pic since he said the fault of EWS would click an interim fault code viewable to pc.
Oh not the stealers....
Ho-hum...it's only money I suppose...*sigh*....

Offline Lightning_650

• View Profile
Update for anyone interested:
Just got the bike back,(at the second attempt)
Took it over to Steve at Motoscot,left it with them,they diagnosed it as a Datatool problem but came up with a workaround that APPEARED to by-pass the fault.
Collected it,got about 3 miles and the bike died again,same EWS/EML lights as before.
Luckily the missus was still following,the Motoscot guys came for the bike and I left it with them to do whatever was necessary.
Removed the horrid aftermarket nightmare thing,all good now...no issues whatsoever.
Thank you Motoscot...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
The 'horrid nightmare thing' being the Datatool alarm?

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Otherwise known as the immobiliser?
Seems to have worked.

I'll show myself out.  :D

Offline Lightning_650

• View Profile
Yes.
My insurance company insisted on a Thatcham approved immobiliser being fitted,(as the BMW OEM immob is not Thatcham approved).
Two immobilisers on the same bike was never a good idea Imo,and I was surprised it took this long for the issue to arise.
I've since been surprised to find that Datatool do not enjoy a glowing reputation amongst those who repair motorcycles.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 08:05:33 am by Lightning_650 »

Offline Lightning_650

• View Profile

Otherwise known as the immobiliser?
Seems to have worked.

I'll show myself out.  :D
;D ;D ;D

Offline Costas

• View Profile
Got an email today regarding Thatcham, stating that aproval was finnaly optained, it would be useful, if some of you there investifgate further and notify us. 
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Nothing on their site yet....

https://www.thatcham.org/files/pdf/Consumer/VS-April-2017.pdf#page57

Select 'Motorcycles' in the heading then scroll down to the list of approved systems and manufacurers.