Author Topic: K1300S  (Read 51054 times)

Grumpy jase and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: K1300S
« Reply #225 on: May 21, 2021, 09:30:16 am »
Done way too much filtering in traffic to contemplate panniers, Bagster tankbag and 50L BM soft bag has always been good enough for two of us 2 weeks on the road, but blimey Martin how do you sit on that god awful stock park bench of a seat.

The panniers are no wider than the mirrors, Chris, even when expanded. [Edit: the mirrors on a K1300S, of course which are wider than yours I guess.]
The only risk is the mirrors are high up, and car bumpers, traffic cones, temporary road signs, and panniers are low down.

As for seats, having mixed the Sargent and Kahedo seats for the past few months, I can see how different seats suit different people.
The Sargent has a pronounced curved seat area + therefore also a subtle lip, and is pretty firm. Shorter legged people may find the lip annoying on the underside of the thigh with that firmness.
The Kahedo is a much smoother design, but it's got a tiny bit less room lengthways - well for me, anyway, but I'm silly tall.

I can bring the Kahedo if you want to try it, Martin.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #226 on: May 21, 2021, 10:06:33 am »
Handlebars turn panniers do not, you philosophy works great in a straight line but a change in direction means an exchange of plastic and paint at some time.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 21, 2021, 12:13:28 pm »
That's what the strake bars are for. M25 filtering I think.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #228 on: May 21, 2021, 06:01:41 pm »
The amount of filtering I have done over the years has put me off panniers, all but a set of soft Held throwovers, which truth be known did not get enormous use (and wont fit the K). This is why I initially went for the large soft bag. Now my filtering is less and I foresee more shorter trips with less luggage I thought I'd try the smaller sports panniers. I haven't checked yet if the panniers are wider than my knees which are at the same level. As for the mirrors I regularly fold them in when filtering the narrower gaps, van and 4x4 mirrors having become a more common obstacle then when I was a yoof learning London filtering on a trail bike / SR500. I noticed this week that the white K12 causes drivers to pull over a bit to make some room, far more so than when on the noisier but black K12.

My Baglux tankbag which is very well designed in itself and  expandable becomes a little obstructive if fully loaded, and I would like to try altering the mountings a bit. The idea would be to move it towards me a bit, away from the bars so it does not intrude on the view of the clocks and clash with the phone mount. Also I'd switch the clip arrangement around so it could easily be flipped back on to the seat for refuelling. Currently I take the bag off to refuel.

Not sure grey goes with the Motorsports colours. Anyone ever tried painting/wrapping them? Not sure what colour to go for. One black bike, one white bike, but the first person to suggest one with a bit of sh1te on will be off the christmas card list

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #229 on: May 21, 2021, 06:11:56 pm »
I think there is a huge difference between panniers on when commuting  (a big no no for me) and panniers on for a trip.  If your trips involve a lot of filtering you're going to the wrong places.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #230 on: May 21, 2021, 07:50:57 pm »
Yeah, work.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #231 on: May 21, 2021, 09:06:24 pm »
I think there is a huge difference between panniers on when commuting  (a big no no for me) and panniers on for a trip.  If your trips involve a lot of filtering you're going to the wrong places.

Beat me to it! Although I mostly braved one or two panniers when doing the M4 commute. The GS I've no panniers but the flipping bars are so high it can clip everything. Now I'm not commuting, as you say, I'm avoiding traffic!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 21, 2021, 10:23:35 pm »
I've never needed panniers for work - what are you taking?!
Even a laptop fits in a tank bag if you do it right (as in right tank bag, right laptop).

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 21, 2021, 11:32:03 pm »
I was going for a week at a time so had the odd item of stuff with me

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #234 on: May 22, 2021, 09:11:06 am »
I've never needed panniers for work - what are you taking?!
Even a laptop fits in a tank bag if you do it right (as in right tank bag, right laptop).

For some reason I've never had a tank bag since my first bike, the SV650S, and it got given away when I sold the bike. So my laptop always went in one pannier!

The pannier was also useful for leaving the lid in, for the periods when there's one of "those" people in the office, who like to pick up and examine the motorcycle hat, because.

Maybe a tank bag should be my spurious purchase before the Wrinklies this year!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #235 on: May 22, 2021, 09:12:20 am »
I've never needed panniers for a daily commute. A tank bag and a pack on the pillion seat was the most I needed.  Even when working away for a week at a time I only used panniers twice, once at the start of the engagement and once at the end of the engagement.  I left enough at work to not need to transport much on a weekly basis.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

revd

« Reply #236 on: June 17, 2021, 06:55:11 am »
topbox or tankbag for commuting.  The SWMotech clipon tank bag was lovely.  Topbox if I had to store helmet/gloves and carry laptop.  However topbox was also a risk of clipping mirrors whilst manoeuvring in the great London smoke of filtering.  I'm looking for a topbox plate for my K as It is lower down and hopefully wont create the speed wobble.  Means I can put my robes in there and use bike for services at other Churches etc...

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
« Reply #237 on: June 17, 2021, 01:32:21 pm »
Yup panniers get in the way with filtering but they are narrower than the mirrors. However, previous owner of mine (1300s) had a get off with the factory panniers and they act as superb fairing protectors. Only a slight nibble at the hand guard blisters instead of major fairing write off.

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 17, 2021, 09:24:15 pm »
16,000 miles came and went this week on the Wrinklies tour, no time to stop for a picture this time.

First proper ride out with the bike so still  getting to know it really. The chicken strips are smaller now though, and the tyres are not squared off anymore.  Its still a bit stiffer and harsher than the K12 but I think it is easing.

Brian's sticky string properly fixed the puncture problem after the others continued to leak.

After 3 days flying around without them, this morning I could feel the difference when the Sport Panniers are on, the back end feels wobbly in comparison with no panniers. I weighed them when I got back today, total of about 16kg packed. The feeling did go away after a while, I assume I just got used to it. If its windy as it was this afternoon, i can feel it tugging at the panniered back of the bike. Have never noticed that putting the large soft bag on the K12 which is higher and from time to time probably heavier. More research required.

I've finally managed to do 6000 miles since I bought it so service now due. No rest for the credit card...

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 30, 2021, 10:23:19 pm »
Everyday's a school day. So what did we did we learn from this weeks' 706 mile blip? Well we reaffirmed "coincidences and the weather" in that if I clean my bike the next day as soon as I go out it will piss down. I think I managed 1.5 miles out of 300 ish on day one before it rained. During the course of the "turn left on to the M5 and continue for 160 miles" journey it rained so hard it was stinging my arms through my BMW Enduroguard jacket, the M5 was flooded to the extent the police were operating rolling blocks. The phmode puncture repair was still in, the tyre had dropped about 0.5 bar in a couple of weeks stood in the garage but after topping up stayed up all day.

I wandered into the Canning Motorcycle Emporium  to see what magic was being conducted in the gearbox department but the magicians had taken it away to their shed to work on so I was again fed copious quantities of cake and tea, and stories of all things including motorcycles. I could tell you but i'd have to shoot you. Even though a motorcycle has been temporarily removed from the garage to make space I still managed to trip over several electric bicycles. Must take some cake next time. Meanwhile I will be searching to buy tyres as rumour has it having a stack in the corner of the garage might be useful.

A day mostly spent getting wet and squaring off the tyres that had been rounded off nicely on the wrinklies. I also found that the panniers are not waterproof. Water makes its way up through the hinges at the bottom. Fortunately anything susceptible to water was in waterproof bags. I'm not using the BMW liners at present but need to think about doing so, or investing in the horribly expensive but nicely made USA made ones I was pointed at earlier. Its also noticeable that there is a lot less room behind the standard screen than the MRA Vario screen on the K12 for the RAM mounted phone used as a sat nav. In the rain the phone case  was getting wet at lower speeds which was causing the phone to think I was touching the screen and doing all sorts of things.

On the return trip I determined to avoid motorways as much as possible. This worked fine as I rattled down the Welsh borders to the Olde English Martindale's Bring Your Own Biscuits Cafe. On this day the rear tyre and its tyre pressure sensor decided to tease me again. I have never had the yo yo ing of pressures like this with the K12 but during the course of the day I topped up the pressure 3 times. Sometimes I would ride off and have excessive pressure, other times i would scroll through the information menu to find it was low pressure. The only consistent thing seems to be is if I let the bike stand for a while it will lose pressure, if you don't stop for longer than a fuel stop its fine. Anyway, soon I will need a new tyre so that'll fix it, he said knowledgeably.  :o Anyway we discussed the pros and cons of a South West Wrinklies and having a few days back in Wales again whilst consuming too many chocolate biscuits, and I impolitely stuffed myself with a garage special sandwich lunch.

The next exercise was phase 2 of the "find a way around Bristol avoiding motorways". Brian has probably been wondering why I disappeared off Northwards from his place . The last attempt after the Wrinklies was too close to Bristol and very hard work, slow, unenjoyable etc. This time I went too far North and too far East, but astonishingly the all up mileage from Chateau Sanders in North Shropshire was only 10 miles further then the inglorious M5. Mrs FJ was not impressed when she called me to find I was on the A303 and far from home at a time she was expecting me for dinner, although not half as surprised as my grandson when the bath time Whatsapp call revealed a black helmet with trees whizzing past in the background. At some point 17000 miles arrived on the A350 North of Westbury

I have to say that LED headlights and a white fairing works very well as a traffic splitter, far more cars move over for the K13 than the K12. As we progressed into the evening all the comms died as first my phone died and then the Sena. The phone turned out to be as a result of the 3 year old connecting cable having flexed beyond its life and the wire casing had spilt to revel bare wires. I need to buy a new one and to give some thought to a more permanent power supply solution. (Did I get the jargon right?). The Sena had done 2 days without recharge and had simply run flat. Anyway I have been up and down the A303 once or twice (irony -  for our foreign friends, I think if you have followed the K12 thread you'll know this is closer to one thousand or 2 thousand times) so knew where i was going. Having been schooled by the Eurokclub webmaster in the rules about filling panniers with all things other than kitchen sink (although my dad thought i was collecting an unwanted 8 place setting crockery set for my son...without the large softbag I had to disappoint him) I was carrying another cable so the phone soon came back to life. Why bother you may ask? Well at this time of a long 400 mile day there's a lot of motivational satisfaction to be had out of kicking the sh1t out of the satnav arrival time. Especially when Storm Evert delivers stroppy sidewinds and gusty headwinds and torrential showers for the last 60 miles. Average speed for the last tankful begins with a 7...