Author Topic: Chicane and painted lines  (Read 3807 times)

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
Chicane and painted lines
« on: November 20, 2019, 05:26:27 pm »
A rant.
Round our way the council have installed chicanes on a few roads, presumably for 'calming'. I cannot see the point of them. If the road is clear you can belt through them. If there is traffic you have to slow and wait. But hang on, if there is traffic you are slow anyway. So they only slow traffic that is already slow. Sometimes a steady stream of traffic means you can be waiting for a good few minutes for no apparent reason.

Also a few junctions have painted lines across the road before and after, to advise you of the approaching junction. Why? These junctions are as easy to spot as all the other ones that don't have warning lines.

There's  a school that has about 100 yards of ripply lines painted across the B road nearby. Apart from the fact these are easier on your vehicle the faster you go, why penalise drivers 24/7 when there are only a few occasions when kids are about, and they are rarely around this road.

Are these the worst anti driver things, or do you have any other hates?

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Chicane and painted lines
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 05:58:28 pm »
This one maybe, Andy?

A motorbike can slide through without crossing the centre line in this case, but I've found it can sometimes confuse/anger oncomers, so it depends on the circumstnaces.

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 06:08:02 pm »
Not the same one, our ones are a bit risky to squeeze through on a bike. Are they as pointless as I think they are?

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 06:15:55 pm »
Here's  one of the chicanes. Follow the road and see the painted lines. They are quite think and really knock your suspension badly, in my sports car particularly.
https://earth.app.goo.gl/G19K5J

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 06:20:32 pm »
Can you use a Google Map link, Google Earth is not supported by all browsers.

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 06:56:26 pm »
 I don't  know how to get a gmap ref. It's Tadpole Lane Swindon, West of William Morris Way junction, North of Brimble Hill School.  Hope you find it and explore the horrible chicane and even worse high ridged lines that go on forever.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 07:22:11 pm »
Find it on Google Maps go into street view and copy the link in your address bar. Simples  ;D

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2019, 08:35:02 pm »
Drag strips around the back of new build estates?
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2019, 09:23:50 pm »
Will no-one think of the tadpoles?

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2019, 08:58:07 am »
Will no-one think of the tadpoles?

Do you fancy joining the ARB this morning Rich? This is the kind of lateral thinking we need!

You've got 3 minutes. Hurry up and install Teams.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Andym535

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2019, 08:49:53 pm »
This one maybe, Andy?

A motorbike can slide through without crossing the centre line in this case, but I've found it can sometimes confuse/anger oncomers, so it depends on the circumstnaces.

Would you do that if there was a police car parked on the verge? There often is and if you look at the sign that you can see the back of you'll see it's a 'Police vehicles Only' spot where they park up to catch people hooning down the hill into the village.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2019, 03:56:36 pm »
Well, that depends on your/their definition of give way, which is not the same as stop.

I was always taught that 'give way' means to not cause an opposing vehicle, or one that right of way,  to change speed or direction uneccesarily. This is different from the meaningless twaddle in the Hoghway Code etc. which never defines 'give way'.

Sneaking through may cause confusion but you are not breaking the give way rule nor are you crossing a solid white line.

Another question might be 'would you give way (i.e. stop) if the approaching vehicle was another motorcycle?'.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2019, 06:56:33 pm »
Well, that depends on your/their definition of give way, which is not the same as stop.

I was always taught that 'give way' means to not cause an opposing vehicle, or one that right of way,  to change speed or direction uneccesarily. This is different from the meaningless twaddle in the Highway Code etc. which never defines 'give way'.

Stop means stop. Like Teresa's Brexit.
Do you need to put a foot down? Not if you can hold your bike stationary without putting a foot down. I can't.

But you're correct on 'give way'. No formal definition in the Highway Code, and your definition is spot on, IMHO.

Sneaking through may cause confusion but you are not breaking the give way rule nor are you crossing a solid white line.

Another question might be 'would you give way (i.e. stop) if the approaching vehicle was another motorcycle?'.

Highway Code 130 says:
- ...you should not enter the area [=diagonal stripes within broken white lines] unless it is necessary and you can see it is safe to do so.

Which means no, in my case. So I'm wrong.

If they changed that to:
- ...you should not enter the area unless it is necessary, or you can see it is safe to do so.

then I'd be OK.