Author Topic: London and back  (Read 2630 times)

revd

London and back
« on: June 04, 2021, 12:41:43 pm »
Rather than take train/tube into London, I took the mighty K into London as I can park for free there as well.  It was light rainfall on the way in and very heavy traffic, enough that the fan came on for a bit and then shutdown after 2-3 minutes.  Bike was well behaved, but is a bit lumpy at low revs.  Hand physio went well, they attribute the good range of movement to my using a clutch!  I will have a couple more exercises to do now and a splint to wear overnight to assist with straightening it out a bit better.

Ride home was in heavy rain fall, but was faultless.  The M7's were surefooted enough over lines, potholes and manhole covers.  The bike was a joy to ride and sounds rather good with the Delkevic exhaust.  Rather pleased with that investment.  However it is thirsty in London traffic and I have 100 miles to the tank.... gulp! And I have been gentle on the throttle. Maybe it is the BoosterPlug thing that is affecting the fuel consumption that much.  Valves are not due a check until next year according to annual service schedule thingy. 

I'll fill it up when the weather is kinder and dry! And I've had a chance to clean the bike properly.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
Re: London and back
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 12:56:34 pm »
If you are trying to rely on the fuelguage to tell you if you've used a tankful  , dont. The tank will take 20.8 litres. How much do you put in after 100 miles? My in town london commuting never dropped below 40mpg. If it turns out you really are using a tank full for 100 miles there is a serious fuelling problem. Lumpy low speed running is typical  that's why I got mine remapped.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 01:01:37 pm »
A million percent something is buggered. What's that booster plug doing again?
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 01:17:34 pm »
I did 6 years of commuting into London 5 days a week on my K1300Ss. While 2 thirds of my journey was motorway/dual carriageway I never got below 45mpg on either bike (and there were some "spirrited" - though not in the Revs way. ;) - rides in there) and I regularly did 50+mpg. Those values are not from the on-board computer but calculated from the amount of fuel added by the pump vs. the mileage on the trip meter.

It definitely sounds like something is not right with your bike Rev.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 01:53:00 pm »
Start with removing that booster plug, don't some of them just mess with temp sensor signal and make ECU think engine is cold and richen the fuelling. Maybe engine is stuck in "Choke mode"

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 02:47:42 pm »
Something seriously wrong with your bike to get such a low mpg.

I normally zero the trip when I brim the tank and then look to refuel when I get to about 190miles. I expect to do about 10 miles per litre which is about 45 mpg.

Old school from when no bikes had fuel gauges but at least had reserve. Never was a good idea to forget to switch the reserve off because you can guess what happened.

The number of times that the bike went onto reserve as I rolled into a petrol station!

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 04:36:43 pm »
The TUV do their emission test at 4250, for manufacturers it’s a bit like knowing the question before the exam, so they cut the fuel going into the motor at 4250, what a Booster plug does is for the ECU to Chuck more fuel into the motor to cover the lack of fuel at 4250.

The problem...it’s chucking in fuel every where else on the fuel map, not just 4250 revs

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2021, 04:41:58 pm »
Had a wonderful morning out, rode too Redline KTM in Loughborough to have a new suspension map blown into the bike, and after 18 months of tinkering with set up both suspension and fuelling finally found the Eureka setting absolutely magical  :) :) :)

revd

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2021, 09:36:56 pm »
Thanks chaps. Tank off at some point soon and it is light, so that makes it easier!  Boosterplug will be removed and sold on via Ebay if someone else wants to try it.

Loving the bike and not too worried on consumption as it is my fun ride bike only, I no longer commute and use it because I want to.  I try to run it on 99RON only, but last tankful was 95RON.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2021, 09:41:18 pm »
Although lack of miles is an excuse to get a V8, it isn't an excuse to ignore a definite issue if it carries on post plug removal :P. I hope it works though!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2021, 09:22:42 am »
Symptoms of lumpy at low revs and high fuel consumption sounds just like mine when the exhaust lambda sensor failed.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2021, 01:14:29 pm »
Whether or not the low fuel consumption 'bothers' you because it is a fun ride, the big issue is that you are putting way too much fuel through the engine and that won't do the pistons, rings nor cylinder walls much good unless you are also increasing the air volume (which the Boosterplug doesn't do) to keep the stoichiometric ratio about right.

Or you have a fuel leak.

Or you are going by the computer rather than 'real' consumption.

Boosterplug out, check the real consumption and if it is still high then check the lambda sensor, anyone in here with GS911 will do that for you.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2021, 02:43:42 pm »
Easy to do a lamba check...go on eBay buy a dongle and blanking plug and throw the lamba in the bin,6 bikes in the garage non have a lamba,first thing that gets taken off.

revd

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2021, 09:23:02 pm »
Easy to do a lamba check...go on eBay buy a dongle and blanking plug and throw the lamba in the bin,6 bikes in the garage non have a lamba,first thing that gets taken off.

Dongle?  what does that do then?

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2021, 09:37:11 pm »
Stops the ECU from spitting it’s dummy because something has been disconnected from the electrics, fit the like of a Power Commander they disconnect it regardless.