Author Topic: Beef or K?  (Read 5522 times)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Beef or K?
« on: October 09, 2018, 09:44:47 pm »
Anyone else considering a change of lifestyle in light of yesterdays UN climate report?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/may/31/avoiding-meat-and-dairy-is-single-biggest-way-to-reduce-your-impact-on-earth

"Avoiding meat and dairy products is the single biggest way to reduce your environmental impact on the planet, according to the scientists behind the most comprehensive analysis to date of the damage farming does to the planet."

"Beef results in up to 105kg of greenhouse gases per 100g of meat, while tofu produces less than 3.5kg"

And other options:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/08/climate-change-what-you-can-do-campaigning-installing-insulation-solar-panels

So - ride the K less, or eat less meat - especially beef?

I like the K too much to ride it less. I'm going to try and eat less meat instead.
In moderation.

It will take time, and definitely not completely vegetarian. That would be about as likely as not riding the K. But every little helps.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
Re: Beef or K?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 11:10:46 pm »
What are we going to wear? Even cotton is unsustainable. 2700 litres of water to produce a single T-shirt. https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2017/11/02/are-cotton-t-shirts-sustainable-products/#5c709f2e3aba
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 07:25:22 am »
My eldest daughter is considered a Vegan, her reasoning is because in history it is proven better for your health to not eat dairy or meat and rely on plants for food
Personally Almond milk makes me fill sick and there's no way I'm feeling guilty about eating a nice rarely cooked steak

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 08:34:23 am »
Both good points.
It's not about completely abstaining, for me - it's more about moderation.

And it's not about killing animals - that's fine by me. That's what they're bred for.
But vegans - that's not normal. Literally. Man is naturally omnivorous.

I'll still be having steak - just maybe half as often, or a smaller steak.

T-shirts: I don't get through that many clothes, and I recycle them where possible.
The Forbes article says the solution is 'Opt out of the fashion industry'.
No Autumn Collection for me, then.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 08:38:03 am by richtea »

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 08:43:39 am »
They all skirt around the base problem, population growth.
Politicians love extra votes, extra growth, extra taxes.
A benign set of global population reduction encouragements should be core policies in all countries

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 09:48:29 am »
Another option is to suicide.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 10:10:55 am »
 ;D :D :D :D

My stock response to those who accuse me and my flagrantly planet-raping lifestyle of being eco-unfriendly is to mention the fact that my pollution of the small blue dot ends with my passing and from then on its all give, give, give after my life of take, take, take!

There are no progeny following my lifestyle choices or clogging up the earth by living too far from the edge.

Maybe everyone should give up kids...or we could eat them, they produce far less methane than beef  ;D

gibbo

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 10:15:58 am »
The human race will be the death of this planet.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 11:10:55 am »
...and 'they' want us to go out and colonise other worlds?

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 11:18:41 am »
The human race will be the death of this planet.

Not of this planet, but of its own species : in the end, nature will win, as always. It's in our nature to not solve these problems : we're programmed (by nature) to breed, it's our instinct.

Anyway in the end, nature will find its solution, somehow, some day. God's experiment with "intelligent" life, leaving behind a worse world than His dinosaurs did, maybe wasn't His best plan...
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 12:57:17 pm »
They all skirt around the base problem, population growth.
Politicians love extra votes, extra growth, extra taxes.
A benign set of global population reduction encouragements should be core policies in all countries

Best comment so far.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 05:39:07 pm »
We are all grow up individuals, we perfectly know that war makes the world go around , and not a local one but a world wide one. History has taught that, it doesn't matter if we don't want one or avoid to admit it , realistically it's the only solution for human race to move ahead. Sad conclusion but true i believe.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 10:31:32 am by Costas »
Embrace the wind.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 07:53:00 pm »
That's too bleak for me, Costas.

Education, not war, is my first choice.
As in educate the world (inc Trump) about climate change, and aim to decrease the 1st world consumption, and the 3rd world birth rate.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 10:32:28 am »
Am simply stating the facts of our civilisation.
Embrace the wind.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 10:49:47 am »
Doesn't seem very civilised to me  :o