Author Topic: Mapping options for full Akro  (Read 5787 times)

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
Re: Mapping options for full Akro
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2021, 11:44:11 am »
Thanks all, some food for thought.

On AF-XIED think it's over priced for what it does compared with the Rapid Bike Easy. With shipping and duty it's same price as RB Easy.

Stock the K13 is more than quick enough and I've never been a HP hound. Learned enough from racing that throttle connection and drivability is worth more in laptime  than pure HP (Silverstone excepted). Plus, I enjoy challenging myself on wet roads and the off throttle roll-on on the K1300 is vile (available Irish fuel grades doesnt help). Chris's feedback on piggyback v ecu map is interesting, cheers. In the end I'm looking to smooth out throttle response and not burn out valve seats if I ever get to go Harry Flatters down an autobahn again. However, unless I can get a good workable map the PCV is a much more expensive option, cost of hardware + dyno time v dyno time only. There are some good mapping guys over here but the bulk of their work seems to be road racing and I feel BSD would do me a better road map. Decisions decisions  :-\

Final thing, does anyone have a link to a write up on removing or shimming of the low gear resriction solenoid. Think Belco did this mod.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2021, 03:52:28 pm »
Your over thinking the job...see you can buy one off eBay £339 with a suitable map and fit it yourself for nothing, i’d worry about fine tuning another day.

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2021, 04:38:28 pm »
Think yer right, I tend to be a bit anal about technical things.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2021, 05:13:03 pm »
And Oops forgot the important bit...lamba sensor goes in the bin, so the ECU isn’t trying to disappear up its own backside chasing the impossible, all part of an improved bottom end fuelling  :)

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2021, 10:16:27 am »
Final thing, does anyone have a link to a write up on removing or shimming of the low gear resriction solenoid. Think Belco did this mod.

Yes I did. Evolution Zone Flat Filters and removed this restrictor - never got around to mapping it, just fitted a cheap BossterPlug equivalent (Accelerator Module). But I had Superbike Bars on my K1300S and it was a none ABS/ASC model and it was very wheelie prone after that - My K1300GT had ASC and that kept it mostly under control  :o

Some details here:

https://www.k-bikes.com/threads/removed-throttle-stop.15835/

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2021, 10:55:07 am »
And Oops forgot the important bit...lamba sensor goes in the bin, so the ECU isn’t trying to disappear up its own backside chasing the impossible, all part of an improved bottom end fuelling  :)

I know you are a perfectionist when it comes to AFRs - I've seen your XR and SDGT Dynos  :thumbsup:

This was a Stage 1 Tune on my K16GT which uses the Narrow Bands to fine tune the new map (much like the AF-XID but in software), it works fantastically on up to 70% throttle where you are most of the time, and then uses long term trims to fix the top end. Part of the Euro4/5 conformance is that the engine must put out the same emissions after 20,000km, so they add a lot of tricks to stop your engine wearing, like shutting down the throttle bodies, making the throttle very soft (ride by wire - 85% twist only gives 50% throttle) or backing the timing off at the top. The big beast is so much better now, with the throttle connection so strong it tends to spin the standard awful tyre in lower gears.

This tune was from the same group that has been set up and shares ECU tunes once they have been developed - one of the Group is https://mototuning.ie/

« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 10:57:27 am by Belco100 »

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300 Dynamic
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Autocom, BSD remap, 170 at the wheel. SC project can with baffle removed.Lust 25mm lowering plates
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2021, 03:34:27 pm »
Hello guys, not sure if this is relevant or has nothing to do with tune ups, I've just done the 18k service (late) and noticed that the SAS flexible pipe has been plugged. Not sure whether it was done when I had it set up at BSD or before. It was plugged at the end that fits to the manifold pipe into the exhaust ports.

Regards  Mick
No problems only Solutions

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2021, 05:41:25 pm »
Thanks Sutty, useful info. That's pretty much the first thing anyone does on a KTM, throw away all the SAS gubbins.

Is that going from the cam cover into the cylinder head to feed air into the exhaust.  If that's so I would assume it's plugged at the exhaust end and also at the cylinder head to avoid sucking air into the exhaust port. Or am I wrong here?  Also if the pipe from the reed valve in the cam cover has been plugged, is there any danger of pressurizing the cam box and blowing the gasket.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2021, 05:49:14 pm »
BSD will have plugged it, the reality is headmaster at the TUV sets the rules....manufactures have as long as they like to get it through the test, they know the test is at 4250 and try every bodge in book to get bikes through.

The reality being all bikes have a hole in the map at those revs fill it in with a fuelling gizmo and bingo, a level A/F and no lamba is the icing on the cake

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300 Dynamic
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Autocom, BSD remap, 170 at the wheel. SC project can with baffle removed.Lust 25mm lowering plates
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2021, 06:12:58 pm »
Cheers guys, I never even knew the system was there , it’s at the head end of the flexible, I’ve had no problems with oil leaks due to pressure.

Regards. Mick
No problems only Solutions

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2021, 05:01:56 pm »
Cheers all, Mototuning have done a K13 before so I'll not be paying for their learning curve in Dyno time, would make the whole exercise cheaper than a PCV, doesn't get me a second map though. Will probably do throttle de-restrict and SAS blank at weekend as I'm planning to do fuel filler mod and will have stuff apart. Will be interesting to see what the solenoid mod is like, can't exactly imagine a K13 being a wheelie monster. There are supertankers shorter than the K.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2021, 06:51:06 pm »
My cousin-in-law once removed was the Captain of a Shell supertanker back in the '70's and '80's and he reckoned that it took 25 miles to get to full speed at sea with a full set of tanks, even if he gave it the beans. Which these days, the owners are aware of before the propeller increases rpm...

Empty, he reckoned he could 'wheelie it' and get it to top out within four miles.

On the other hand, even empty, it took 25 miles to stop from full speed in a straight line with a dead engine on a calm sea.

Puts the K into perspective  :-[

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2021, 07:38:40 pm »
You know how there is everything on YouTube. This video is one of several by a guy who is some kind of crew on a huge cargo ship. I tried to add up the number of containers and got lost in my multiplications at some hundreds. But anyway, the sea in that video is scary as heck. His others (and when we see the pirate encounters now) are all calm and one (I) might forget that there's a flipping moon kicking the crap out of dolphin land. Even however many tens of thousands of tons that thing is, it's a drop in the ocean. Yeah. I went there.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2021, 10:52:25 pm »
Came across this video, nice explaination of PC for the K series.

https://youtu.be/4UyMLqJ7AM0

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2021, 09:18:43 pm »
Finally got around to fitting the full Akro system and removed the low gear throttle restrictor at the same time. Jeez, with the restrictor gone its an absolute hoot in the lower gears. Was giggling like a kid when I gave it the beans off the motorway toll booth this morning. Getting rid of the cat & flapper valve helps too, it seems to rev up faster & cleaner without them.  My bike had the standard Motosport Akro but it came without the baffle. Too noisy with a horrible bark too. The full system came with the factory-line slip on with a TI sleeve. I'd only seen them in carbon before, looks good. Fitted a DB killer which I had to rivet on as factory line has no welded nut. Much nicer sound, sociable in town and with a soulful wail at high revs.  Don't know why anyone would remove baffle from standard akro silencer, it's just horrible.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 09:21:35 pm by armstrongracer »