Author Topic: The Invisible Motorcyclist  (Read 2407 times)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
The Invisible Motorcyclist
« on: January 10, 2019, 12:37:43 pm »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: The Invisible Motorcyclist
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 07:53:39 pm »
I remember seeing a video shown at a seminar inthe context of 'being in the moment' or 'paying attention'.

We were asked to count how many times a group of people passed a ball back and forth randomly to each other around the group. It went on for a while and being a lummock I got bored and stopped counting, paying more attention to one of the more attractive girls.

At the exact moment I stopped counting, a very large someone in a gorilla suit ambled through the group and out of the scene.

When the folk stopped passing the ball, everyone was asked to declare how many passes were made and everyone said their score. No-one mentioned the gorilla...which wasn't revealed until about an hour later.

Even wearing a gorilla suit won't make you more easily seen.

Offline Eyore

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Lots of Polish. Titax levers. GPR end can.R&G Protectors, carbon fibre bling, Tom Tom mount,daytime led lights.Low seat.Oberon clutch slave cylinder.Airblade DB screen,fender extender.Michael Dunlop sticker.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 11:06:20 am »
That's exactly the issue, nothing will make you be seen...…………………………if they aren't looking. >:( Far too many distractions in modern cars,twiddling between menus, checking mpg and various menus,driver mode,bluetooth,sat nav,phone, "8"colour infotainment" screen ,screaming kids,etc etc. Its hardly any wonder there is so much bad driving and that even before the incompetent idiots get to play with the toys
The fastest Pizza delivery bike in the west.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 11:32:18 am »
We've had this discussion many, many times down the years. There is nothing I can do to make myself more visible to those who don't look or care. Those that care and look will see you but giving them a little help with colour or movement never went unrewarded.

I refuse to plaster lights all over my bike like some lunatic '60's scooter rider's mirrors, as I have yet to see a bike with extra lights fitted 'to make me more visible' that doesn't blind and annoy the hell out of opposing traffic even in broad daylight. When I'm in the car, if I get dazzled by these eejits I tend to forget where I am and wander across the white line with my hand over my eyes...

I am invisible! I don't mind it that way because it cuts me some slack for the speed I ride at.

If you accept that you are invisible (and, as he pointed out in the video Rae linked to, also know WHY you are invisible) and ride defensively with that knowledge then the only things you might get hit by are rampant deer.

Two lessons on being invisible from another forum.

First, a lad complaining that his bike got totalled by the bull bars on the front of a Land Rover he met head on in a blind bend on a country track. The Land Rover had managed to stop, the bike did not. Expect the unexpected, don't expect blind bends to be empty and remember that they are called 'blind' bends for a reason.

Second, a lad following a coach which slammed its brakes on when it met a truck coming the other way on a tight bend. Coach snicks it into reverse and promptly reverses over the bike behind which was right up its ass and which the coach driver couldn't see. Keep away from the big stuff and don't follow anything in the overtake position unless you can see it is clear to overtake. Remember, if you can't see their mirrors, they can't see you.

There's being invisible and there's being an idiot by not allowing yourself to be seen.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 01:57:06 pm »
Great video Rae – thanks for posting.

There are two key things to remember:

1)   You’re not invisible! (If you really are, join the circus, make a fortune and buy your own island somewhere, banning cars that might run into you!)
2)   Other road users don’t want to accidently run into you, or you into them. (The small number that might appear to want to run into you can see you clearly and are aiming.)

As per the video, what happens is that people unintentionally manage to not see you for all the reasons mentioned in the video. It’s impossible for anyone to completely stop that happening but it’s pretty easy to both reduce the likelihood of it happening and reduce the impact (bad choice of words!!!) if it does happen.

Road positioning and defensive riding are key. WAY more important than day-glow and LED driving lamps. Position yourself correctly for maximum visibility (yours and other road users) and ride in a way that gives you multiple alternative “escape” options should something go wrong and you’ve given yourself the best chance of avoiding being a statistic.

Footnote: Point 2) above applies to Homo Sapiens and not Cervidae!!!     :(
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 04:51:24 pm »

First, a lad complaining that his bike got totalled by the bull bars on the front of a Land Rover he met head on in a blind bend on a country track. The Land Rover had managed to stop, the bike did not. Expect the unexpected, don't expect blind bends to be empty and remember that they are called 'blind' bends for a reason.

Ride at a speed you can stop in - so to speak. The Landie stopped in time - good. The lad didn't - bad.
It's easier said than done on a fast bike with sweeping corners ahead, but worth reminding yourself every now and then.

Second, a lad following a coach which slammed its brakes on when it met a truck coming the other way on a tight bend. Coach snicks it into reverse and promptly reverses over the bike behind which was right up its ass and which the coach driver couldn't see. Keep away from the big stuff and don't follow anything in the overtake position unless you can see it is clear to overtake. Remember, if you can't see their mirrors, they can't see you.

This time the coach was at fault, I'd say, as the moving vehicle - not the lad. I think Rae experienced a similar reversing crash - at a French toll booth?
The lad (and Rae) was just plain unlucky. A rear-facing camera would have helped the vehicles with limited rear view.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 04:54:12 pm by richtea »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 10:56:19 pm »
No David! I really am invisible. I did join the circus but I got fired because no one could see my act  8)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 11:11:18 pm »
No David! I really am invisible. I did join the circus but I got fired because no one could see my act  8)

Boom boom!

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 08:48:52 am »

Who said that???? 
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 08:53:44 am »