Author Topic: New tyre joy  (Read 4142 times)

Offline TurboBevy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S 30TH ANNI
New tyre joy
« on: June 08, 2018, 08:35:15 pm »
MOT was booked for today so a good time to have the pair of Michelin Road 5s I've been sitting on fitted just ahead of the MOT. Standard Metzler Sportec M3s were pretty shagged, well the rear certainly was, front still had some life left, but the bike had lost the lovely roll into corners and more recently had to be urged around them. Cupar motos charged me £25 per wheel ride-in, which seems the norm these days and the hassle free option. I'd already saved a few quid buying the tyres direct as a pair from Demon Tweeks.

MOT passed with an advisory about the front pads - must order them later and my ticket to ride is issued for another year. Shops warning about scrubbing in new tyres ringing in my ears and a real nice 30 odd mile ride home in the sunshine with the contryside in full HD.

New tyre joy is back, the bike just rolls into bends and fires out the other side.  8)
In the name of God, please let me die in peace! Voltaire...

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: New tyre joy
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 11:15:54 pm »
The Michelin Road 5s are not recommended for the K1300s the GT version comes out later this year or early next.

Offline Devon 1200s

• 2008 k1200s
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Akrapovic slip on can. MRA screen. Standard BMW sport panniers, SW Motech rear rack, Krauser k5 top box, 55 profile rear tyre, Carbon Fibre rear hugger, Power commander 5
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 07:57:44 am »
I went onto the Michelin website looking for road 5s but had a pop up saying I needed road 4 GTs
k1200s. 08 plate. Located in Devon.

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 09:40:35 am »
I went onto the Michelin website looking for road 5s but had a pop up saying I needed road 4 GTs
Yes I know, I've had this conversation on a couple of other forums. The GT version of the Road 5s is not out yet but is due for release later this year or early next. If you don't carry a pillion or luggage you might just get away with it. The difference is in the side walls. The GT versions have stiffer side walls to take the extra weight. You probably won't get good mileage out of a non GT tyre on a bike that needs the GT version.

Online black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 10:11:28 am »
I've used the PR4s instead of the PR4GTs. I had to add a couple of extra PSI both front and rear (on the recommendation of the Michelin rep) to stop them "moving" at extreme angles of lean.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 11:25:49 am »
I've used the PR4s instead of the PR4GTs. I had to add a couple of extra PSI both front and rear (on the recommendation of the Michelin rep) to stop them "moving" at extreme angles of lean.
An extra couple of psi might do the job but is not as good as having the right tyre in the first place. OK if, like I said you don't carry a pillion.

Offline markyates

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2009 K1300S, black/silver
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW rack, titanium Remus Hexacone, sport panniers, Ilmberger hugger, carbon front mudguard
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 08:22:04 am »
My local tyre guys won't fit a tyre if it's not on the manufacturer's lst for the K13... that rules out the new Road 5 (which I'm keen to try) and tinkering with the pressures. Not sure I'll be able to wait until a GT version appears.

Has anyone tried the new Bridgestone T31, or Dunlop Roadsmart III ?

« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 08:23:52 am by markyates »

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 10:00:13 am »
I have just ordered a set of Bridgestone T30 Evo GTs on the recommendation of the lads at the FJR workshop. I normally steer well clear of Bridgestone but thought I'd give them a try. The Avon Spirit STs got a bit of extra wear with the high temperatures in France.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 10:51:28 am »
My local tyre guys won't fit a tyre if it's not on the manufacturer's lst for the K13...

I'd find a new tyre guy  ::)

The BMW list is NEVER up to date...

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300 Dynamic
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Autocom, BSD remap, 170 at the wheel. SC project can with baffle removed.Lust 25mm lowering plates
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 01:26:45 pm »
Hello guys,  when I got my R 12 months ago it had new Bridgestone S21 tyres the grip is amazing. I never ride in the wet so can't say much about that. I changed the rear at just over 4000, it still had life in it but we had a 1000 mile weekend break coming up and didn't want to worry about tyres.
It had flatted off but still dropped in easy. It moved about on the banding and white lines but never budged when it was on it's side, I was more than happy to replace it even at the price £170 fitted to loose wheel.

Best regards.  Mick
No problems only Solutions

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2018, 02:38:40 pm »
At 4,000 miles from a bike tyre on the K I would slash my wrists and take up macrami...

The least I've ever had from a Michelin PR is 7,000 and that was including two hot Med tours.

Wet or dry, the grip is outstanding and wayyy better than me and I don't really ride more slowly in the wet than the dry.

Offline markyates

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2009 K1300S, black/silver
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW rack, titanium Remus Hexacone, sport panniers, Ilmberger hugger, carbon front mudguard
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2018, 02:46:59 pm »
Sorry, the fitment list is TYRE manufacturer's, not BMW. My error.

Put K1300S on the Mich site and it only shows sports bike tyres, eg Power RS, Pilot Power 3 etc. The shop phoned Michelin and they agreed with the website info.
They seem to see the K1300S as "hypersports" or something...

The Bridgestone S21 is a supersport tyre so won't last as long. Their new ST tyre is the T31.

Andym535

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2018, 09:03:29 am »
My local tyre guys won't fit a tyre if it's not on the manufacturer's lst for the K13...

I'd find a new tyre guy  ::)

The BMW list is NEVER up to date...

I usually do them myself. Car tyres are easy, tubeless bike tyres less so. For a real challenge try fitting mousses to dirt bike tyres.

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300 Dynamic
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Autocom, BSD remap, 170 at the wheel. SC project can with baffle removed.Lust 25mm lowering plates
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2018, 10:06:49 pm »
Maybe I ought to rethink my tyre choices. I've always had super sports tyres on my previous bikes and never got mega mileage but had loads of fun scraping my sliders. I know it's stupid,  but I might even buy some new sliders and have a go on the K.

Best regards.  Mick
No problems only Solutions

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2018, 10:44:58 pm »
Maybe I ought to rethink my tyre choices.

At 4,000 miles, I'd agree.
I would expect 6,000 minimum with modern tyres even with abuse - and around 7-8,000 with mildly-spirited riding that you might do on a sports tourer.
That's what I've had from Angel GTAs and PR4s, and they both grip fine for me. But I don't go in for knee sliders.  :-[