Author Topic: suspension answers please  (Read 9388 times)

Offline CC Mac

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K 1200 R SPORT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Ohlins front and rear, Black Laminar screen , grip puppies, adjustable brake and clutch levers, Phillips extreme vision bulbs,.
Re: suspension answers please
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2016, 09:15:49 am »
I replaced my shocks because I felt at 30 k the front was past its best. I am quite sure that the Ohlins set up is better than what the bike had when new. There are different reasons for change or not. I am not so well off that I can throw money away, it was an investment I consider worth taking.
Watchin you Focker

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2016, 09:49:08 am »
This subject always seems to produce polarised views. Those tending to support the standard suspension in the main have never had a top quality replacement set so they are a bit in the dark to know what it is like,  bit like the Dacia Duster driver happy with the handling and comfort of his wheels when you tell him how splendid rapid and comfortable your Quattro is compared to his unless he drives your car or similar car, he will never know there are in fact better wheels out there like your Audi.

JS

I’ve experienced good quality bike suspension, most recently having had a complete custom set-up by Revolution Racing on my Firestorm (a bike famed for its built-to-a-budget OEM set-up). It involved a custom built Penske shock and a complete re-spring and re-valve of the front.  The set-up included me getting onto the bathroom scales in full kit so they knew the weight to set-up for and defining that I wanted it optimised for, which was fast road work. The difference was stunning! The improved way the bike handled fast sweepers transformed the bike and made it as quick as bikes with considerably more power while installing the rider with total confidence. The bike was even used on an Old Gits trip (by and American friend who is a very similar size/build) and while it was on the trip with K1200S, K1300S, FJR, a Suzuki GSXR1000K8 and a number of other bikes, it was, by far, the quickest bike on the trip.

That all said, ride the bike on a bumpy back road (as I have near my home in Suffolk) or around town with potholes and speed humps, and it was a real nightmare.

The point I’m trying to make (in a long winded way) is that good quality non-ESA suspension is excellent, but limited by the lack of on-the-move adjustment! The OEM ESA kit on the K1?00S is all right, but nothing special, however, I would suggest that the ability change modes on the move according to riding style and surface conditions make the OEM ESA a much better choice for real world road use for most riders.

For me, ESA is now an essential. When buying my K1300S the choice was between that and an Ohlins fitted ZZR1400. The Kawasaki won on just about every criteria I had (although only be a very small margin in most cases) however, the ESA, or lack of it on the ZZR, was what swung me to the K1300S.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Ady00

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300r
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2016, 09:56:55 am »
Well from all of this I'm up for a pint, so when and where bearing in mind people's holidays etc how about late summer(ho ho) or early autum see if we can find something going on somewhere to meet up..............
Light travels faster than the speed of sound that’s why some people appear bright until they speak.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2016, 12:30:25 pm »
So, if you are buying the beers am I to assume you are sticking with the ESA  ;D

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2016, 02:35:59 pm »
I was interested to find how ESA allowed me to explore different suspension settings on the move. Some riders I know with ESA have not even tried the various settins.

Initially I thought that the comfort setting was too soft and wallowy and it took some miles before I explored it further and found how good it is in the wet. On our recent trip to the Picos I would sometimes find myself changing from comfort to normal regularely to suit the roads. I have rarely found roads good enough to dial in the sport setting apart from a few roads in the Eifel Region.

On my R1150GS, which I bought purely for off road use, I had to reduce the spring rate considerably to stop getting beat up by the back end which felt solid. I guess that from the factory it has to be designed to accomodate a heavy rider and pillion with full touring kit. A lower rated Ohlins spring to suit my solo weight with an adaptor to fit the original damper, transformed the bike.

I would suggest that it takes an experienced rider on a track to truely know how a suspension setup can be improved.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2016, 03:01:54 pm »
I would suggest that it takes an experienced rider on a track to truely know how a suspension setup can be improved.

I agree totally! So that counts me out  :o

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2016, 03:07:09 pm »

To get that last 25% from your suspension, I agree completely but, I think many road riders can get the first 75% improvement with just a little thought about what should be happening vs. what is happening.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2016, 03:47:23 pm »
Pretty correct that last remark. Accurate 100 %
Embrace the wind.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2016, 04:03:21 pm »
Pretty correct that last remark. Accurate 100 %

That counting was diffuclt as getting 25% and 75% from 10 fingers (and thumbs) is pretty painful!!! :-0

Offline AndyLP

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2016, 05:51:55 pm »
I need a drink after reading this thread  ::)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2016, 11:53:23 pm »
Pleased to say that I'm happy with the performance of my rubbishy ESA so far. ;)
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2016, 08:37:58 pm »
I am not sure anybody really thinks ESA is rubbish but putting aside its ability to be altered on the move there is better out there. I never fiddle about with the suspension myself the suspension manufacturers do that for you based on weight and use including pillion, luggage, then  give you how many turns on HPA when pillion is carried and luggage. If you get the shocks upgraded like I do by a suspension expert they will further refine the set up for you by a bit of a road test and incremental alterations. My Kwak Versys's was done like this two years ago and all I have to do for pillion or pillion plus luggage is add a set number of turns on the HPA a matter of a few seconds to carry and you are good to go. The "Expert " in question is Rob Mawbey at Racing Lines Derby. He is a long time bike racer and can set up any bike's suspension as long as it is adjustable to get the best out of it. It is interesting to see him do it looking at sag, travel and speed of return. The MK I Versys were known for their very light front end so much so at North of decent M Way speeds I would describe the bike as a bit of a bitch its front end went all light and wiggley instilling zero confidence in the bike. Rob fitted Hyperpro Fork springs tweaked the oil grade and fitted the Nitron rear, after 30 mins of tweaking and road testing he had got rid of the front end issue. The bike is now mega planted and is a brilliant bike to ride.

JS
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 10:45:45 pm by JackSnipe »
JS

Offline Ianran

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2016, 11:06:32 am »
I've not upgraded BMW shock on a K1300S but I did on an R1200GSA and the difference was chalk and cheese. I used Wilburs ESA shocks and lowered the bike at the same time. thee were tuned to mine and my pillions weight so made a huge difference when carry SWMBO on the back. The trickiest part was getting her weight  ;)
The ride quality was way better, more set on the road  significantly improving my enjoyment of the bike.
My K1300S is very harsh on country roads so I am considering getting this modified so am watching this thread with interest to see what decent cost options there are.
Living the dream!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2016, 12:37:10 pm »
What settings are you running Ian?

On the same road, on the same settings, my K12 shakes my fillings loose whereas the K13 floats over it all. That's the difference between ESA and ESA2 but the 13 shouldn't be harsh on the bumpy stuff.

Offline NIBS

• Bubble up rubber down
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R & K1300S (both 2012)
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Ilmberger this and AC Schnitzer that.
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2016, 01:20:39 pm »
   The ESA suspension on my K1200r was very different to the My K1300r, much softer. This could be the difference with a bike that’s 10 years old and a bike that is brand new.  However I suspect the ESA 2 makes up most of the difference. Also I notice that you S chaps are talking about wallowy suspension on the "comfort" setting. Well on the K1300r that’s not the case for me, the suspension being quite taught on the comfort setting with a solo rider. This could be caused by the the shock absorber being set for the extra weight of the S body work, an extra 24lb!  If I am pushing on I find the "normal" setting brilliant for and comfortable on most road surfaces. Two up things feel about as they should on each of the settings and as described by the S owners. 
  I can only presume that the shocks are "configured" the same for both R & S regardless of the S increased weight and the fact the I only weigh 12.5 st. Either way I find I can get the shock to work fine in most conditions with or without a pillion as I prefer a slightly tauter ride but without being bumped out of the seat. It's possible that each bike feels different ridden back to back on the same settings.  At any rate being able to adjust the setting on the move is brilliant.
Prevoius bikes:-Ducati Scrambler 800 Urban Enduro, Aprilia Tuono Factory V41100, VFR800 Fi, K1300S, K1300R, YAMAHA MT10 sp, K1300R, K1200R, GSX1300 Hayabusa GEN1, GSXR1000k3, GSXR750Y2K, YAMAHA EXUP RU,NC30-VFR 400, GSXR600WW, XL600R, Z1B, GPZ1100B1, GPZ900R, GS550, Z1B, Z1A, GT380, GT185, FS1E.