Author Topic: Mileage now past 70k, what a bike!!  (Read 6328 times)

Offline AndyLP

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
Mileage now past 70k, what a bike!!
« on: June 20, 2018, 02:12:01 pm »
Got bike on 18k from dealer and now past 70k, I am so impressed with this bike, sure its not perfect but overall I would not swap with anything else  ;D

Its been self serviced after 1 year warranty ran out and just standard service and one second hand radiator in 50k.

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300 Dynamic
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Autocom, BSD remap, 170 at the wheel. SC project can with baffle removed.Lust 25mm lowering plates
Re: Mileage now past 70k, what a bike!!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 02:15:16 pm »
That's cheered me up !!!!!!!!!!!

regards   Mick
No problems only Solutions

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 02:19:07 pm »
Sounds like mine.... 8)

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 05:09:38 pm »
Too late for mine, I sold it at 71K miles (118K km). I had no faith any more in its reliability. I fear I'll not have a bike riding like this again, but above all, I need my bike to be reliable. Couldn't say this any more of my old K, after having had troubles on 3 of my last 4 motorbike holiday trips (even if the failing battery on the last trip was not that big a deal after all). In the Alps, Pyrenees, Dolomites, or whatever, you want to ride, not to go and look for a dealer to fix your bike...

The worst is that there are not a lot of decent sports-touring bikes on the market anymore, nowadays (no, the R1200RS doesn't cut it...)

I hope you continue to have a good and reliable bike for a long time to come !
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 06:18:03 pm »
I fear I'll not have a bike riding like this again, but above all, I need my bike to be reliable.

I have a lovely reliable red one just waiting for you, Philippe, barely run in at 36k.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 07:55:39 pm »
I have a lovely reliable red one just waiting for you, Philippe, barely run in at 36k.  ;D ;D ;D

I hadn't understood this because yours, on the wrinklies, was a Motorsport version ? So I had thought that this orange one was of a friend's of yours who was selling his ?

OTOH, I've already bought another one. I know, I know, it's a faint copy of the K, but the VFR800F is a proper sports-tourer in my eyes, not anything like these high-seated power-loaded adventure-like bikes they nowadays market as the "next-generation" sports-tourers. No, rather than power, I just as much like character. And I'm pretty confident the VFR800F is a well thought-of, homogeneous bike. Not quite as powerful as the K but then again, if it comes to riding, I'm also relying on the "man on top"   :D
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 11:37:42 pm »

I hadn't understood this because yours, on the wrinklies, was a Motorsport version ? So I had thought that this orange one was of a friend's of yours who was selling his ?

I bought a Motorsport on a whim*, and hadn't bothered to sell my original red one.
I've now sorted the Motorsport into the bike that the red one was (centre stand, no Grip Puppies, pannier rails, fender extenders, no garmin, etc), so its now time to sell the red one.

* Three whims:
1) was ill in Feb & March, and though sod it, get a posh new bike whilst you're still in one piece.
2) They've stopped making them, so get a young one and make it last another 5-10 years.
3) It was a £1k less than other ones I've seen, and in fab condition.

Having compared the two for a month, I've come to the conclusion that there's not a lot of difference between an 8k bike and a 36k bike - they're both great. Oh well, you learn. At least the Motorsport will be sweet when it gets to 36k too!

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 07:16:13 am »
I know it's a bit of an achievement getting a K to 70,000 miles. I would be very very disappointed if my FJR didn't get to 150,000 and beyond, a couple of them on the FJR forum have gone past 250,000. One just blew up at 254,000 ish, just sayin'  :-[

Offline MadMountainbike

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon Clutch Mod, K1300 silencer
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 07:51:54 am »
I know it's a bit of an achievement getting a K to 70,000 miles. I would be very very disappointed if my FJR didn't get to 150,000 and beyond, a couple of them on the FJR forum have gone past 250,000. One just blew up at 254,000 ish, just sayin'  :-[

I think we should change Rae's forum name to 'K-Troll' 😂
Sometime XC racer, zero bike skills. Keen skier, no technique. Ex President & hopeless optimist... Especially at high speed or high altitude.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 08:06:46 am »
I'm not trolling, just passing on information.  8)

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 08:36:28 am »
In the end, it all comes down to "confidence". Had I been confident enough, I'd still have had my K. And if I'd buy another K, I'd still lack confidence in my dealer who I suspect of having made a wrong diagnosis after my first big K's failure, having caused the second big failure. I couldn't trust my K any longer to ride it to e.g. (this year) the Dolomites, while I would still have ridden my old Deauville up there (even with its 157K km).

Nevertheless, the K is a fabulous bike to ride, that's the last I would ever deny !

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 08:54:40 am »
Looking up high mileage bikes on Biketrader:

Total bikes: 13755 (ignoring bikes below 500 miles as being new)
Total bikes above 50k: 226

So 1.6% are 'high' mileage.

The average bike (half of 13755) has a mileage of 5 - 10k.

All you high mileage chaps are weird outliers. Just so you know.  :P

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 08:56:50 am »
What were the 2 bikes above 200,000 ?

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 09:00:10 am »

Couldn't possibly comment

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 09:07:57 am »

Couldn't possibly comment
Ohhhhh yes you could  ;)