Author Topic: Lincolnshire lad.  (Read 3570 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R Sport; 2007
Re: Lincolnshire lad.
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2018, 04:13:11 pm »
Top at 30, Brian?  I need to test a K13. I keep my R Sport in 2nd at 30. 3rd if I’m feeling lazy and there’s no sign of a NSL section coming up.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2018, 10:05:04 pm »
30 in 6th is possible, but 5th is comfier for me, but YGMV (Your Gearage May Vary).

Gears?
Could just have sold it with 3 gears, really:
1st for launch
3rd for roundabout approaches (or you could use the brakes, I suppose - bit too advanced for me)
6th for the rest

Offline stevel

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2018, 05:04:02 pm »
Top at 30, Brian? I'm not out of 1st until 80!

If the rest of you could please obey the laws around using gears please - remember not to change up until within 12.7mm of the red line (OK, within half an inch if you're old)

Remember, if you change up that early, you might as well be riding a tractor. BMW sell several of them - look for any model that begins with 'R'....

Offline OxMan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Just sold my K1300R Dynamic in Racing Red (The fastest colour) - and taken delivery of my Guzzi.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: It's a TT Travel : with panniers; high screen; heated grips; cruise; low comfort seat; top box (!); centre stand; Ohlins; Akra sports can; engine bars; extra front fogs; Caponord mudguard/extended...
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2018, 06:49:45 pm »
...but of course if the first bike you ever owned was a 12GT then lots of torque and early change ups are de rigeur... even though I used to race single seaters I have no desire to die...
Late emerging biker - took the first bike plunge at 50 with a 12GT : swapped for a 13S 9 months in... then got my mitts on a lovely 2014 13R Dynamic in rrrrrracing rrrrred! Then the COVID came along... so I upped it to France and bought a V85TT... O Sole Mio etc etc!

Offline nightrider

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300 GT
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2018, 07:19:39 pm »
I prefer to use the gears it's a good way to control the speed. I stick it in third whilst in a 30 mph limit for example.
This is one powerful motorcycle however and coupled with the fairing and screen,which gives a feeling of peace and wellbeing, makes it very easy to spin up to illegal speeds. You need to keep a close eye on the speedo. I've only took mine to 6000revs up until now and that felt rapid.
I think mine will be spending most of its time in its mid-range.
Ride your bike until it hurts-and then-err ride it a bit more.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2018, 11:35:40 pm »
Top at 30, Brian? I'm not out of 1st until 80!

If the rest of you could please obey the laws around using gears please - remember not to change up until within 12.7mm of the red line (OK, within half an inch if you're old)

Remember, if you change up that early, you might as well be riding a tractor. BMW sell several of them - look for any model that begins with 'R'....

It all depends on where you are, where you are going, who's going the same way and who you can't see that might be watching you  ;D

Leaving my old stomping ground of Newbury for example, A339 (ex-A34) heading north. Final set of lights at the Robin Hood roundabout with the A4 London Road. Big interchange so long wait on red but eventually the lights go green and you pop one in 1st, 2nd, it's taking me longer to type it...

Past the fire station, pulling right onto Western Avenue, 40 to 50 limit, nail it and over the crest and as you are staring into the far distance you see a tiny coloured speck in the lay-by just before the Vodaphone roundabout.

You might as well put the left indicator on now and get ready to pull in cos you've just been zapped.

Of course, taking off more slowly and changing up earlier doesn't mean you are not ballistic at the same spot, just that you might be in a slightly more relaxed frame of mind, might be changing position at a lesser rate and might see the blob in time to roll it off and keep your licence.

Now, coming south from the M4 along the same road, the lights go green and as there is no-one else around you poke it in the eye and hit 6th before you are out of the 40 limit. There is nowhere for them to hide and as long as your mirrors are clear as you slip past the interchange with the A34 by-pass you have a flat-out run south into the Vodaphone roundabout and the 50 limit. Sweet. And that stretch has seen me as flat out as I want to go; 160 easily and I never do less than 130 unless there is traffic. Use it or lose it...just remember that the last 200 metres is plagued by those hideous yellow deceleration strips that can knock your ABS into play at high speed and max braking; unless you don't brake of course  ::)

I find the use of the gearbox on the way up is a nice way of reminding myself where I am and who might be watching  8)