Author Topic: Lincolnshire lad.  (Read 3586 times)

Offline nightrider

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300 GT
Lincolnshire lad.
« on: January 11, 2018, 06:03:14 pm »
Hello, I've just put a deposit down on a BMW K 1300 GT. The bike it's replaced was a Kawasaki 650 ninja and it was a very competent motorcycle although not really suitable for two up touring.
This isn't my first BM however I owned a R100 RS for a couple of years and later a F650 which I rode in all weather's until it got stolen outside work.
This will be the biggest and most powerful bike I've had. Roll on springtime!
Ride your bike until it hurts-and then-err ride it a bit more.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Lincolnshire lad.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 06:21:05 pm »
Glad you popped in and took my advice, welcome to the EuroKClub.
I vill zay zis only wernce DO NOT RUN THIS BIKE WITHOUT AN EXTENDED WARRANTY.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 06:49:04 pm by raesewell »

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R Sport; 2007
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 08:56:19 am »
Welcome aboard! I think you may notice a slight difference between your K and the R100RS, including the extra 110BHP! I have fond memories of my 1978 R100S and I often wonder if I’d enjoy it so much today. This is a cracking forum with great moderators/administrators and helpful members who make it a fun place to hang out.

gibbo

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 09:12:46 am »
And, welcome too from an ex K owner. They even let you stay on here when you're not a current owner; unless of course you get banned by one of the Admin members depending on how much whiskey and Pernod he supped the night before.  ;)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 10:10:46 am »
Hello and welcome. I'm sure you'll love the K1300GT, but as Rae says, the extended warranty will likely be worth the investment.

Welcome aboard! I think you may notice a slight difference between your K and the R100RS, including the extra 110BHP! I have fond memories of my 1978 R100S and I often wonder if I’d enjoy it so much today.

I have a 1984 R100CS I take out periodically. While lacking in the "get up and go" department compared to my K1300S, it's still great fun and can easily manage modern riding requirements.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 11:58:39 am »
Welcome aboard! I think you may notice a slight difference between your K and the R100RS, including the extra 110BHP! I have fond memories of my 1978 R100S and I often wonder if I’d enjoy it so much today. This is a cracking forum with great moderators/administrators and helpful members who make it a fun place to hang out.

That's it, yer banned  ::)

Offline nightrider

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 04:24:21 am »
I can't remember what BHP was on the old boxer but it never felt under-powered. It cruised at a steady 80-85 MPH on the motorways and took me on a few nice holidays.
I only sold it because I needed the money to put a deposit on my cottage.
I'm hoping to build some happy memories on this Beemer . My new bike is a lovely blue colour similar to my old R100S.uhh

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R Sport; 2007
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 10:04:50 am »
70 Horses, I believe, but I never felt it was underpowered either. Toured brilliantly; took me, a mate and camping gear round Europe. At the end of 400 plus days entirely on single carriageway roads, I still felt fresh. Admittedly, that was probably partly due to my youthful age of 23.🙄

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 11:33:42 am »
Dusty, I always admire those with such great memories that they can remember being 23  8)

Offline nightrider

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 02:39:13 pm »
We're all young when we're sat on a motorbike!

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 07:38:55 pm »
Dusty, I always admire those with such great memories that they can remember being 23  8)

...and when 70BHP was enough.

I think nightrider will be able to confirm that's no longer true when he tries his new K  8)

Offline nightrider

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 08:32:12 am »
I will be treating it with respect. The most powerful bike I've owned up to now,was a Suzuki DL1000 and that gave just under 100bhp.
The attraction of a big bike,for me at least,is the comfortable stress-free ride and the ability to carry a heavy passenger without spoiling the ride.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 11:01:01 am »
I've always preferred litre plus bikes for the ride and relative comfort too.

On the KxS the reach to the bars can be a problem for some riders, including me and when I first got the 12 the seating position was an issue for my ageing knees with 33” legs. Helibars solve the reach issue and the knees are no longer a problem.

Of course, the GT won't suffer with either of these problems so your comfort will be assured.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 12:13:43 pm »
I will be treating it with respect. The most powerful bike I've owned up to now,was a Suzuki DL1000 and that gave just under 100bhp.
The attraction of a big bike,for me at least,is the comfortable stress-free ride and the ability to carry a heavy passenger without spoiling the ride.

Respect is good, but its not a hooligan bike. It's a very low power-friendly bike, as in bimbling around is perfectly calm and relaxed.
I went from a 120BHP Aprilia to the K, which is about your jump, and it's not daunting in the least. It's a pussy cat at low revs.

And you don't need to use all the power when you want to get a move on. There's no big step in the rev range that I can think of - just twist and go, almost!
Just the fact that there's no let-up in power is pleasurable enough.

It's the only bike I've ever had that I don't need to watch the revs for gear changes.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 04:03:31 pm »
You change gear? Wow!

You can take off in third and that'll see you to the wrong side of the magistrates court with plenty to spare.

In normal road conditions mine rarely comes out of top. It'll pull 30 in top which is more than my 3 litre mad-nutter-bastard turbo diesel will do...