Author Topic: Leaving the chain-gang,  (Read 2208 times)

Offline Foggy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Anniversary in red/white
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Skidmarx Carbon rear hugger, Garmin Zumo sat nav
Leaving the chain-gang,
« on: July 22, 2017, 07:14:14 pm »
Hi everyone (or at least those reading this!),

Jeff Stone here. I have a 2013 K1300S Anniversay model. I've owned it for just over 12 months and love it! My previous bike was a Kawasaki ZZR1100 that I'd had from new in 1992. A great bike and  I'd toured Europe extensively on it but decided that now, at 72, I really ought to dump the chain-gang and get a shaftie. I've ridden many variants of the boxer twins but don't like that engine configuration, but after going on the launch of the K1200RS, I thought a 'four' could be the solution. I then tested the first of the K1200S, liked the bike but the fuelling was terrible. That brought me to the K1300S Anniversay I have now.
I no longer do long distances (a 100 mile radius does me), and steer clear of motorways, but picking good A and B roads means I can enjoy the bonkers performance without getting board!
The only mod I've done is to fit a Skidmarx carbon rear hugger.
Still learning my way round the bike and about the only thing I'd like to do is just soften the rear suspension a tad!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Leaving the chain-gang,
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 07:24:38 pm »
Hi Jeff and welcome to the madhouse that EuroKClub!

I am glad that our average age of members keeps going down like this, we need more 70'somethings to get it down a bit more  ;D

I think you are missing the biggest upside to a K13 though, its inate ability to crush continents. Mind, it is pretty good at hustling too as long as you don't ride with many 'young' hooligans on Fireblades...

gibbo

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 09:40:44 am »
Welcome to the club Jeff from an ex owner of the K. Always liked the look of the Anniversary model. A photo would be nice but with Photobucket doing a wobbly and other sites being given trial runs this may be a while before everything settles down.  ;)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 02:55:49 pm »
Hello and welcome, may I ask if a and when possible post a photo of this rear hugger of yours never heard of it before .
Embrace the wind.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 03:18:59 pm by raesewell »

Offline OxMan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Just sold my K1300R Dynamic in Racing Red (The fastest colour) - and taken delivery of my Guzzi.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: It's a TT Travel : with panniers; high screen; heated grips; cruise; low comfort seat; top box (!); centre stand; Ohlins; Akra sports can; engine bars; extra front fogs; Caponord mudguard/extended...
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 05:18:50 pm »
Had 1 of their carbon fibre huggers on my old 12 GT. Good bit of kit 👍
Late emerging biker - took the first bike plunge at 50 with a 12GT : swapped for a 13S 9 months in... then got my mitts on a lovely 2014 13R Dynamic in rrrrrracing rrrrred! Then the COVID came along... so I upped it to France and bought a V85TT... O Sole Mio etc etc!

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 02:23:54 pm »
Thanks for site info and for the endorsement , info will be forwarded to local club.
Embrace the wind.

Offline OxMan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Just sold my K1300R Dynamic in Racing Red (The fastest colour) - and taken delivery of my Guzzi.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: It's a TT Travel : with panniers; high screen; heated grips; cruise; low comfort seat; top box (!); centre stand; Ohlins; Akra sports can; engine bars; extra front fogs; Caponord mudguard/extended...
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 03:21:31 pm »
No worries Costas - I recall their website didn't say they had one for a 12GT. After taking soundings from this forum I went ahead with one sold for a 13GT and it fitted quite happily.
Late emerging biker - took the first bike plunge at 50 with a 12GT : swapped for a 13S 9 months in... then got my mitts on a lovely 2014 13R Dynamic in rrrrrracing rrrrred! Then the COVID came along... so I upped it to France and bought a V85TT... O Sole Mio etc etc!

Offline baldbiker

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 07:45:55 pm »
Welcome from another former zzr1100 owner.

Offline Eyore

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Lots of Polish. Titax levers. GPR end can.R&G Protectors, carbon fibre bling, Tom Tom mount,daytime led lights.Low seat.Oberon clutch slave cylinder.Airblade DB screen,fender extender.Michael Dunlop sticker.
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 07:51:46 pm »
Anyone know if the K13 S hugger will fit the K12S, presumably there should be no issues so before I throw away 99quid any confirmation would be good.
The fastest Pizza delivery bike in the west.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 11:35:06 pm »
Well Kim, it depends on two things, the make of hugger and the make and model of tyre.

The former Ilmberger importer gave me a list of tyre types he knew didn't fit (cos he had the buggers returned) but I managed to lose it and anyway it was well out of date.

The 13 has a 55 profile tyre which means the hugger, which IS different in the Ilmberger range, should clear a 50 profile tyre on a K12 with ease.

The big problem is going the other way round or if you have a 55 profile tyre on the K12.

Offline OxMan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 10:06:47 am »
Hi Kim - on their website it looks like they have specific huggers for a 12S. They do also have 1 for a 13S/GT - and I know that fitted a 12GT - so guess it would be fine for a 12S...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 11:27:23 am »
Anyone know if the K13 S hugger will fit the K12S, presumably there should be no issues so before I throw away 99quid any confirmation would be good.

May I ask why the GRP one, rather than the much lighter and stronger (not to mention sexier, faster etc. etc.,) carbon fibre version?

Most folks fit the carbon fibre 'cos they is poseurs, like wot I is. And please don't tell me you can't afford the CF but want it to keep the back of the bike clean 'cos they don't 💩

Brian (who spent a fortune on a carbon fibre blingy bit to make him cleverer and better looking and to make his bike go faster and £20 on a tatty plastic bit to keep the back of the bike as clean as the front 😎 )

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 09:37:21 am »
Fount the hard way that not all huggers fit both models , better make sure before spending they money.
Embrace the wind.