Author Topic: Ireland 2017  (Read 8279 times)

Offline LOM46

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 BMW k1300s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Puig screen, rear hugger
Ireland 2017
« on: March 29, 2017, 10:44:12 am »

--- Forza Vale ---

Offline Eyore

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Lots of Polish. Titax levers. GPR end can.R&G Protectors, carbon fibre bling, Tom Tom mount,daytime led lights.Low seat.Oberon clutch slave cylinder.Airblade DB screen,fender extender.Michael Dunlop sticker.
Re: Ireland 2017
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 10:55:53 am »
Nothing posted ??? ???

The fastest Pizza delivery bike in the west.

Offline LOM46

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 10:59:40 am »
Nothing posted ??? ???

Sound !! :) I'll try get it sorted ???
--- Forza Vale ---

Offline LOM46

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 03:46:05 pm »
As per my physios request, 'not a long spin' today. Some nice spots along the route 8)

Getting warmed up....

--- Forza Vale ---

Offline mab1067

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Titanium / red short levers, Invisible patterns, Modified rack to fit Givi topbox. Large BMW Soft bag.
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 10:34:15 am »
Very nice pictures. Need some narrative though.
Heading off round Ireland on June 19th. Peterhead to Belfast via Glenshee. Belfast anti clock wise taking in Muff ( believe it or not they have a Muff Diving club £25 membership already paid,  ;D) / Limerick / Cork and Dublin. Not sure of route inbetween but any suggestions would be welcome.
Mark Barbour

Offline LOM46

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 11:50:22 am »
Very nice pictures. Need some narrative though.
Heading off round Ireland on June 19th. Peterhead to Belfast via Glenshee. Belfast anti clock wise taking in Muff ( believe it or not they have a Muff Diving club £25 membership already paid,  ;D) / Limerick / Cork and Dublin. Not sure of route inbetween but any suggestions would be welcome.

Ya sorry I must really put in locations for the pictures :-\ I wouldn't have many suggestions for you unfortunately :( The first two photos above are from Mayo and the last lot are from East Cork and Waterford (lovely scenery, awful roads, in my opinion). The photos I have in my October album are all from the Ring of Kerry along the Wild Atlantic Way. To be honest my regular drives usually include some section of the west coast as it's a huge tourist attraction and the roads are generally well maintained.

The only reason I go to Limerick is to get to more northern sections of the Wild Atlantic Way without having to do the Ring of Kerry which takes a fair amount of time. West Cork has some lovely spots, Kinsale - Timoleague - Courtmacsherry - Clonakilty - Skibbereen is a decent enough drive. Half my family are from Dublin but I try to avoid it as much as I can ;D My uncle lives there and his spins normally involve getting as far away from the place as possible haha

If I was you I'd avoid Dublin and the East coast, apologies to anybody that lives there but it's nothing special driving wise. Possibly the Wicklow mountains but for laughs per mile then the wild Atlantic Way is where you want to be. If you can get onto a stretch of it in Donegal then happy days. If you're knocking around Cork give me a shout and I'll suggest things for you to do or see.
--- Forza Vale ---

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 02:04:46 pm »
From my vast motoring experience of Ireland almost all done in hire cars while on business trips, the west coast is where you want to be for the riding/driving.

You will find fabulous places, truly great people, fabulous countryside and great food and drink almost anywhere on the island, but the roads and wild scenery on the west coast are beyond amazing to most Brits.

30 years ago I did the Ring of Kerry a couple of times in hire cars(?) and frequently found amazing food all over Ireland.

A tiny restaurant on Valencia island where the lobsters on the menu didn't have prices because they didn't know what size they were till the row-boat came in; which it did while we were having the oysters as starters. The lobsters didn't realise they were even out of the sea by the time they were in the pot!

Used to fly into Shannon, pick up hire car, drive to Durty Nelly's beneath Bunratty castle for a few cheering jars and the crack, then forge north to Galway, unpack at the hotel, collect friends and head for Moran's oyster cottage on the banks of the Kilcolgan river.

Ireland in a glass and on a plate.

Brian (who reversed his hire car into the sea off the forecourt of Moran's after a particularly good night out  ::) )

Offline Eyore

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Lots of Polish. Titax levers. GPR end can.R&G Protectors, carbon fibre bling, Tom Tom mount,daytime led lights.Low seat.Oberon clutch slave cylinder.Airblade DB screen,fender extender.Michael Dunlop sticker.
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 06:05:11 pm »
Did Brian get his feet wet, or was the tide out and he got muddy instead? Anyway, yes the west coast is the place to be from Donegal through Mayo to Galway,Clare,Kerry and Cork all great motorcycling and mostly quiet roads.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 07:25:52 pm »
Tide was in and he got quite wet!

This was before the chains and bollards I see on Streetview today, not that they would have stopped a determined drunk, m'Lud.

The Ford O'Ryan(?) was, obviously, front wheel drive so despite its back end being afloat, its front end kept on driving backward till the whole thing was afloat.

The pint of Guinness, (perusal of menu, pint of Guinness, place order, pint of Guinness while waiting for food to arrive, pint of Guinness with the Lobster Bisque, Pint of Guinness with the dozen oysters, pint of Guinness with the Guinness and a pint of Guinness as pudding) obviously had the desired effect and all on board remained calm and drunk while the locals poked and prodded at the car until they got the front wheels onto terra firma on the hard to the left of the car. My rallying background had managed to keep the engine alight and I simply drove out of the sea, managed a fifteen-point turn and weaved my way back to the hotel in Galway.

My local passengers were unconcerned about the Gardai car that followed us into the car park but the rap on the window from the snout of an automatic weapon had a rather sobering effect.

Expecting to be breathalysed, pistol whipped and thrown into the dungeons, we were all rather non-plussed when we were told to open the boot!

'It's a hire car!'

'Open the boot' to the chorus of a couple of weapons being cocked.

We opened the boot, wishing we really were in the dungeons.

Nothing!

Interestingly, not even a jack or jack handle for the spare wheel!

Satisfied with what they didn't find, the Irish plod made to leave.

Not so fast occifer!

One of the locals, who didn't stand to lose his liberty, asked what they had expected to find in the boot.

A horse!

Pardon?

We are looking for a race horse!!

Chorus of schoolboy giggles! Honestly, the Irish!

You haven't heard?

Heard what?

Shergar has been kidnapped!

You really couldn't make it up!

Offline Eyore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 07:31:13 pm »
Back in the day ....................as they say ;D

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 09:03:36 pm »
Well, it may have been back, but it was in my 'hey'day  8)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 11:21:13 pm »
We are coming over to Killarney at the end of next May.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline LOM46

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 10:23:56 am »
We are coming over to Killarney at the end of next May.

You'll enjoy that, hopefully the roadworks around Molls Gap will be finished ::) Why they chose to do the maintenance at the beginning of tourist season I'll never know. Plenty to see and do around Killarney, roads are beautiful too. You'll probably see me ;D
--- Forza Vale ---

Offline mab1067

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Titanium / red short levers, Invisible patterns, Modified rack to fit Givi topbox. Large BMW Soft bag.
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 11:56:37 am »
Looking forward to the trip. One of the other guys has just sent me the routes but need to download on PC at home to see where were going as gpx files. Could forward these to you and see if you approve or suggest something better ie roads.
Mark Barbour

Offline LOM46

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2017, 11:59:31 am »
Looking forward to the trip. One of the other guys has just sent me the routes but need to download on PC at home to see where were going as gpx files. Could forward these to you and see if you approve or suggest something better ie roads.

Sounds good, I'll ask my uncle in Dublin about any decent ones near him.
--- Forza Vale ---