Author Topic: My poorly engine  (Read 2455 times)

Offline Ianf1966

• View Profile
My poorly engine
« on: July 10, 2019, 09:01:27 pm »
So I posted a while ago about my K1300S dying after a high speed run in France.
The endoscope pics looked horrendous so I got an engine swap.

I've taken the head off the dead engine, and the pistons don't look to bad to me.
You can see the rings down the side of the pistons, and the scoring on the barrel looks a bit nasty but does anyone have any opinions of if the pistons are knackered?

I don't know if the motor turns over, will try turning it at the weekend and once my dslr is charged will get some better pics.

Any advise/opinions greatly received.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: My poorly engine
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 07:12:43 pm »
The spiralling swirls are either the factory cylinder honing marks or glaze-busting marks from a re-build and are not anything to worry about.

It's a bit late for this but if it turned over, by hand, with the head on then it might all be OK. If the cam-chain had jumped the sprocket it could easily have been re-set and then a compression test would tell you everything you need to know about the valves and rings. As I say, a bit late.

What are the valves like?

Also, remind us of the mileage on the bike.

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 08:46:17 pm »
There certainly appears to be vertical score marks. I would be taking the pistons out to check the side of them for scoring too. Looks like possible oil starving on the cylinders. Remember to make a note of the big end bearing caps of which con rod they came off.

Offline Ianf1966

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 09:14:09 pm »
23,000 miles on a 2010 bike.
It turns over fine with no nasty noises from the crank.

I have a replacement engine fitted so going to part this one out.

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300 Dynamic
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Autocom, BSD remap, 170 at the wheel. SC project can with baffle removed.Lust 25mm lowering plates
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 11:16:18 am »
The pistons don't look as thought they've melted to me and I've seen engines  with a lot worse scoring than that. I'd look at the valve train but even saying that there doesn't seem to be any contact marks on the piston tops.

Best regards   Mick

No problems only Solutions

Offline Ianf1966

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 08:43:01 pm »
The endoscope pics made the pistons look horrendous and they did look like they had melted. Was a fuck up by the mechanic.
Going to part out this engine for parts.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 11:31:17 pm »
Strange that the bores appear to have been deglazed recently with a glaze buster hone tool.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline stevel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 09:03:01 am »
Nope, it hasn’t been recently deglazed - that’s the factory honing process that did that. I’ve seen several K12/13 engines of similar mileages, and they all had the same cross hatch pattern. Goes to show how little wear you get on a modern engine.

The vertical scoring is a concern though - it can only have been the piston skirts that caused it.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2019, 09:23:13 am »
Sorry guys , all are wrong am afraid. This is a Nicasill coated engine block piston etc.
 Engine block is the case here. A new or a used engine block as the one used last year for my bike ,similar year and mileage is needed. No endoscope can see the damage beneath the pistons where it really is
In order to save the cost of rebuilding the head , a necessary step , you better consider getting a used engine after 2011 to install it will certainly save you some money.
You can always sell the head saving some money fm there too. Mark the ex valves are extremely expensive that is the main reason i recommend a used engine complete..
Am at your disposal for further info.
Embrace the wind.