Author Topic: Evening all - Motorsport or Anniversary ed?  (Read 3843 times)

Offline TheSaffa

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Anniversary Edition
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Raised bars
Evening all - Motorsport or Anniversary ed?
« on: May 20, 2019, 12:03:18 am »
Evening

I dont own a K13 yet, but signed up to assist with my current deliberations. I have seen an anniversary edition (4000 miles, 2 owners for around £8800) but not sure if I should keep saving my pennies to get a Motorsport instead?!

I currently have a R1100s and have been drooling over a K13 for way too long. So, I played my "lifes too short card" and convinced She Who Must Be Obeyed that its much comfier than my R11 for two up touring. I therefore need to strike while the iron is hot, so I'd welcome your collective thoughts on Motorsport/Anniversary edition and any comments on pricing.

Had a quick look on BMW approved used and there is one of each (a 2014 £12k MS with 3500miles, 1 owner and panniers + 24mo warranty and a 2013 £9800 Anni with 14000miles, 4 owners and panniers + 24mo warranty). I have read the warranty is circa £800 so would make them around £11k and £9k ish if they were non-BMW dealer but not sure what theyd be if they were private sales.

Penny for your thoughts.

cheers

Kevin

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Evening all - Motorsport or Anniversary ed?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 08:24:11 am »
Welcome Kevin.

The difference is just the wheels - lighter posher ones on the Motorsport, which look nice but make very little real world difference (IMHO).

At £12k you're paying £1000 extra for the very low mileage of the Motorsport one (and the 4 owners on the Anni). There have been BMW-approved ones for £11k at similar mileage to the Anni.
If you're intending to do decent mileage in the next few years then there's not much point in buying low mileage since the warranty is reasonably comprehensive up to 30k miles. If you're aiming for just 2-3k miles/year then no harm in buying the Motorsport since its value will stay high if you're not using it a great deal.

The only other aspect is the next service for the Motorsport will be about twice the cost of the 6k service on the Anni, so that's an extra £300 extra hidden cost coming up for Anni.

You're correct on the warranty - about £700-800 worth for 24 months. And allow about £400-600 for panniers if you end up buying a bike with none (£400 for secondhand)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 09:36:44 am by richtea »

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 09:28:11 am »
Hello and welcome.

As Rich says, the only real difference is the wheels. The Motorsport wheels are claimed to be lighter but while I've never actually put any wheels on the scales, I'd say that IF (and that's a big IF) there is a weight difference, then it's negligible. I never noticed any difference between my K1300S Sport or my K1300S Motorsport, either in handling/ride or in lugging the wheels to get new tyres on.

If I were in your position then the state of the radiators would be the deciding factor. If the Anniversary radiator was completely clear (or very nearly so) then I'd go for that and save the money but, it's more likely to be closer to needing replacement and that will be a big cost.

Either way, you will get a great bike that can eat miles with reasonable economy, handles really well, can carry luggage and a pillion in comfort and goes ballistic with the twist of your wrist. What more could you want?

Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 11:24:09 am »
The ‘Motorsport’ bits

The motorsport edition adds plenty more for the big K fan club in addition to being a fully optioned k1300. A fantastic (BMW Motorsport) colour scheme which looks superb with a finish that’s second to none. The forged HP wheels that not only look the business but also weigh a good deal less than stock are a big drawcard. The bike is a real looker with the paint scheme, wheels, exhaust and footpegs. The problem is that the panels are super expensive if you happen to drop it. I don't think that the wheels are noticeably lighter and I can't tell the difference when riding it. They are much harder to clean than the cast wheels.

The weight saving is genuinely noticeable as you tip this big beast into a bend. I think this is rubbish. The bike feels no different to my K1200S although that did have a much lighter Akrapovic exhaust fitted. That’s not to say it magically feels like a 600 supersport but the once portly k1300, feels a good deal nimbler and far less intimidating in the corners. In fact its one of the only bikes I’ve ridden to the edge of the rubber on the road, within a week of getting on it. Very easy bike to ride quickly and doesn't sit up when you put the brakes on when cranked over. If you are not in the position to buy one best not to take it for a road test bbeccause you will like it.

Third, on the list of added goodies is the legendary titanium-clad Akrapovic slip-on silencer. Co-branded by BMW, means you get a classy laser etched logo instead of a ghastly red-yellow sticker on your hardware. For some it may not be worth it, but if you have your eye on this bike you probably care about details. If you're that way inclined you can easily pop out the decibel killer baffle and make it extra noisy. I like a quite bike but I have disconnected to exhaust flap which makes the bike sound much nicer at lower revs.

Other neat add ones include the finely-crafted adjustable HP rider and passenger footpegs, which by themselves cost about as much a small car. In addition to looking the part, these pegs are super grippy. Personally I prefer the standard footpegs which fold back when the bike rolls against your leg. The knurled footpegs eat into the soles of boots. The footpegs are adjustable for position which is useful.

Most new owners waste time and money trying to source a "better/quiter" screen. This is a bit of a bugger on these bikes especially when it is raining heavily. The screen directs everything straight to your visor. Rain, road spray and flies. Just accept that's the way it is.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 01:49:42 pm »
In agreement with Tom & David there - especially the radiator & footpegs. However, to view the rad you'll need to remove some bodywork (not easy unless the dealer is very friendly), so you may need to limit your viewing to the front end - any rusty fittings, then it will have been run in winter and not cleaned, which is less than ideal.

If you're after looks, pick by colour. If you're after value with just the same performance & usability, then just get a normal late reg K. They are just as good a bike but, bizarrely, slightly rarer - presumably because the factory was throwing every extra at the bikes to sell the last ones as Motorsports before Euro 4 kicked in.

I have had a 2011 plain bike, and now have a 2015 Motorsport - the difference between them was negligible allowing for the 30k mileage differential.
Here are my thoughts from last year: https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=3031.msg36641#msg36641
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 04:42:04 pm by richtea »

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 03:19:51 pm »
I noticed the difference with the lighter forged wheels. More ready to tip into bends with the forged. Similar to the difference between new tyres and part worn flattened. Once you get used to whichever wheels, it doesn't really matter which you have but I do slightly prefer the forged wheels.

Offline TheSaffa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 11:20:22 pm »
Wow, thanks to everyone for the comments. Invaluable, detailed and all very useful.

Update on the Anniversary edition I've seen. Been in touch with the seller and its a 14 plate with 4000 miles. He is the second owner after the dealership. He is wanting £8500 and will include the panniers for another £200. Based on the above advice, this seems reasonable, but I will still try to haggle him - after all, Im not getting a warranty or test ride ;)

The low mileage is particularly appealing on this one as its a while before the expensive service and I suspect the radiator will be in reasonable condition. I have a cheap endoscope that connects to my phone - would it be possible to get the camera in to have a better look at the radiator - its a little thinner than a pencil and around 3cm long. Out of interest, do I want to know what new radiators cost?

I've arranged a viewing for Friday (just before I head off the outer Hebrides on my R11s for a week) so will have time to mull it over (sorry, terrible pun)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 08:11:11 am »
A new radiator fitted by a dealer will be around £700  :o

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 09:13:41 am »
That's a good price, Kevin - for both the bike and the panniers.
I'm also pretty sure the rad will be in good nick.

I measured the gaps in the stoneguard and its 5mm. A pencil is about 8mm.
However, the stoneguard - radiator gap is pretty small, and may well be the around about the focal distance of your endoscope, so juist sticking it against the guard may give you a decent image.

Here's my attempt with a phone. I can't get the phone into the bottom area easily - because the phone is wider then the guard area, and its the bottom area that gets all the crud of course.

The radiator looks better than this when exposed, so don't be too put off - (see here)

Top area - clean, no folded fins, no cement-like accumulation, no corrosion:

Bottom area - some flies and gunge, etc, and this is after a clean about 200 miles ago.

Offline mab1067

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Titanium / red short levers, Invisible patterns, Modified rack to fit Givi topbox. Large BMW Soft bag.
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 09:34:15 am »
Out of interest where did you get the guard from. Been trying to get one of these for years without any joy??
Mark Barbour

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 11:02:14 am »
Out of interest where did you get the guard from. Been trying to get one of these for years without any joy??

It's the standard plastic one.
Since I've not seen any particularly big damage (other than concretey road-splat gunge, and some white corrosion on my old radiator) I reckon it probably works.

Perfect for stones greater than 5mm.  ::)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2019, 11:04:18 am »
I think you'll find that Richard got it from BMW Mark. It came with the bike, as did mine etc. etc.  8)

However, I have a much finer mesh grille in front of mine which came from a member who emigrated to Oz and did a massive sell off.

Can't remember which make it is and there is no name on it, Wunderlich seems familiar.

...OK, got off my fat backside and went to find the paperwork. It is indeed Wunderlich.

No part number on the fitting instructions but lots of great piccies  ;D

It is here...

https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/xtreme-water-cooler-grill-32010-001-1.html

...for €119 and they are available to buy.

They sum up the problem perfectly and this mesh is less than half the size of the plastic original which this grille fits in front off to giv the fine wire mesh some rigidity.

PS Before you rush off to buy one, having fitted mine (which was cheap, remember) I do recall thinking that a sheet of perforated zinc sheet from B&Q for a fiver and a handful of tie-wraps would have been just as good, much easier to remove when needed and a lot less expensive. You can also get it in gold which would be very blingy... 8)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 11:14:23 am by Phmode »

Offline TheSaffa

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 07:48:25 pm »
That's a good price, Kevin - for both the bike and the panniers.
I'm also pretty sure the rad will be in good nick.

I measured the gaps in the stoneguard and its 5mm. A pencil is about 8mm.
However, the stoneguard - radiator gap is pretty small, and may well be the around about the focal distance of your endoscope, so juist sticking it against the guard may give you a decent image.

Here's my attempt with a phone. I can't get the phone into the bottom area easily - because the phone is wider then the guard area, and its the bottom area that gets all the crud of course.

The radiator looks better than this when exposed, so don't be too put off - (see here)

Top area - clean, no folded fins, no cement-like accumulation, no corrosion:

Bottom area - some flies and gunge, etc, and this is after a clean about 200 miles ago.

Great, thanks for this. Also good to know that the price is in the right ball park. I phoned the local BMW dealer who confirmed the service history (last service in 2017) and that the right hand switch gear had been replaced under warranty. No mention of the left hand switch gear (ESA button?) or if the wiring loom bad been upgraded to resolve the hot start issue. The left hand switch gear is about £300 plus fitting via the dealer.

Offline TheSaffa

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2019, 07:52:28 pm »
I think you'll find that Richard got it from BMW Mark. It came with the bike, as did mine etc. etc.  8)

However, I have a much finer mesh grille in front of mine which came from a member who emigrated to Oz and did a massive sell off.

Can't remember which make it is and there is no name on it, Wunderlich seems familiar.

...OK, got off my fat backside and went to find the paperwork. It is indeed Wunderlich.

No part number on the fitting instructions but lots of great piccies  ;D

It is here...

https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/xtreme-water-cooler-grill-32010-001-1.html

...for €119 and they are available to buy.

They sum up the problem perfectly and this mesh is less than half the size of the plastic original which this grille fits in front off to giv the fine wire mesh some rigidity.

PS Before you rush off to buy one, having fitted mine (which was cheap, remember) I do recall thinking that a sheet of perforated zinc sheet from B&Q for a fiver and a handful of tie-wraps would have been just as good, much easier to remove when needed and a lot less expensive. You can also get it in gold which would be very blingy... 8)

I've too be hunting for a radiator guard and spotted the same one on Motorworks (£109) - item code is COA32011 as I could not post a direct link. Think it may well be my first "upgrade".

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2019, 08:37:06 pm »
Don't do it.

Buy this...

https://www.homebase.co.uk/rothley-perforated-mesh-stretched-metal-aluminium-silver_p415019

...and fasten to outside of OEM screen with tie wraps or whatever. Total cost about £7 and every bit as effective.

Or, give me £80 for mine and I'll fit the Homebase perforated wotnot. It'll last 10 years which is more than the rad will last even if you keep it clean  ???