Author Topic: Third Party Tyre Pressure Monitors.  (Read 7253 times)

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
Third Party Tyre Pressure Monitors.
« on: October 08, 2017, 06:18:21 pm »
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 06:22:44 pm by drumwrecker »
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Third Party Tyre Pressure Minitors.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 06:37:58 pm »
I had something similar, from Fobo (https://my-fobo.com/Product/FOBOBIKE).

When I took it into Central Tyres for a tyre change, they said the stress of the extra weight (battery + electronics) may damage the valve (at high speed the rotation is quite a stress on a valve that is only designed to hold a plastic cap. As you can see, they're mounted with quite a long side stem, which increases the moment, On the K front wheel you have to mount it sideways.

I'm not sure they're got any empirical evidence to back that up, but they tend to know tyres and valves rather better than I do, so I removed them.

Having said that, whilst they were fitted, they worked well.

I've some to the conclusion that I've survived this long without them, so it's not a huge problem.
And anyway, Brian tells me when I've got a flat  :o :o :o
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 01:50:12 pm by richtea »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Third Party Tyre Pressure Monitors.
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 07:45:37 pm »
I had the TypePal system on my K12 and thought it was the Bee's knees. I had to fit an alumin(i)um rear valve stem and the front cleared the caliper by not much more than 1mm but it was a great piece of kit for a bike that didn't have TPMS fitted as standard.

I loved the fact that it gave the real-time pressure and temperature of the tyre, not some vague idea of what it might be if the ambient temp happened to be 20degrees, which it never was...

I fully intended to get a four wheel set for the car but sadly they stopped making them and I sold the bike kit with the K12.

I might be slightly apprehensive of the weight on right-angled valves and would want to check the clearance of the calipers etc.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 01:39:37 pm »
Waking up old threads is one of favourite pastimes.  8)

MICHELIN Tyre Pressure Monitoring System - Bike:
https://fit2gotpms.com/michelin-tyre-pressure-monitoring-system-bike-fit2go-tpms/

10% off for IAM members (don't tell them the code is 'IAM10', Pike!), armed forces, NHS, etc, which makes them £72 with free P&P.
They got an award from the tyre industry, so not really independent, but still a small feather in't cap:
https://fit2gotpms.com/blog/michelin-tpms-bike-wins-innovation-technology-honour-at-the-tyresafe-awards/

One word of warning - their recommendation is to use metal valve stems, not rubber.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 01:43:27 pm by richtea »

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 01:58:04 pm »
I have these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372658203090

fitted to the H2 SX. Given the price, they've been superb. You can customise the warning levels above and below "normal" for both pressure and temperature. I've only had to charge the main control unit twice in 4 months of regular use.

Compared to both my gauge on my compressor and my digital gauge, they read a little over, but I don't use them to track exact pressure, I use them to monitor changes.

The control unit can be seen mounted on the left bar above my ScottOiler "mission control" unit

Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline stevel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 02:46:11 pm »
Scott Oiler? What's that do then?

How many Scott's do you have that need oiling?  ;D

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 03:25:16 pm »
You are joking?

It drip feeds oil into the rear drive housing to keep it topped up and running cool  ::)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 03:38:29 pm »
It drip feeds oil into the rear drive housing to keep it topped up and running cool  ::)

Running as warm as a K shaft, you mean. ::)

I never understood why you need to continually oil the outsde of a chain that has O-ring seals.
Rust isn't going to do much damage in say 20k commuter miles, with today's chunky chains, is it?
Is it that the O-rings are only good for a some initial number of miles?

Andym535

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 04:13:02 pm »
It's probably more use on the shaft drive... might stop the paint peeling off. I know people who swear by them but I don't think they do much for an O ring chain.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 04:23:09 pm »
There are a couple of benefits of oiling the chain. Oil on the O rings helps keep them from drying out and cracking.

The other point is that the chain on sprocket interface is metal on metal with some pretty substantial load changes in both amount of load and direction of load. We all know that even a small amount of lubrication on metal on metal interfaces make things run significantly smoother with dramatically reduced wear rates.

The constant low volume flow of the ScottOiler helps avoid oiling the whole rear end of the bike that the spray cans are pretty good at.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2019, 01:37:58 pm »
Yup, it isn't wear in the chain you are trying to prevent, it is knacke(O)ring your sprockets which are almost always softer than the rollers in the chain.