Author Topic: New K1300GT owner  (Read 696 times)

Offline GlynH

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300GT EE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Touratech heated seats
New K1300GT owner
« on: February 28, 2023, 02:29:21 pm »
Hi there,

Pretty much cut & pasted from another forum I just joined to save me typing it out twice! I'm not lazy just don't like to make work for myself...well that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  ;)

Long time dry weather motorcyclist (apart from the first couple of years when I braved all weathers as I had to get to work before I passed my car test) here in the UK;

1976 Yamaha FS1-E DX
1977 Yamaha RD250C
1978 Suzuki GS550
1980 Suzuki GS1000S
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 ABS
2001 Yamaha YZF1000R Thunderace

These last few years it was my wrists that started to ache initially especially at low speed/around town when my weight was on them and it seemed like every year the discomfort got higher; elbows, shoulders etc. and once it hit my back I knew my days were numbered.

Sadly had to sell the 'Ace during COVID lockdown to pay Gas & Electricity bills(!) as I wasn't working but to be honest once I hit 60 years old it was getting uncomfortable what with the racing crouch and my having to tilt my head back just to see where I was pointed giving me a stiff neck after only a few miles.

But here's the thing...once a biker always a biker and even during my last couple of years on the 'Ace I was considering the K1300GT as another powerful bike but with a more upright riding position for this old man and more comfort for those times I might carry a pillion of similar vintage whose knees can no longer be pinned behind her ears as would be the case with a perch for a seat and uncomfortably high foot pegs. Yeah...I know what you're thinking...younger model  ;D

So...here I am a couple of years after I sold the 'Ace and my thoughts have turned back to the K1300GT as it seems to tick all the boxes for me and being someone who loves as many bells & whistles as possible I stumbled across a nice K1300GT Exclusive Edition in Granite Grey Metallic not 50 shades of grey away from the Monsoon Grey Pearl that adorns my car.

Bike is pretty much standard but has Touratech heated seats which were on there when the last owner purchased it in 2014 and he did not have the original seats which was a shame as I like to keep all the standard parts if at all possible.

He also ran it on 95 octane so my first job was to run it down to 0 miles and fill it up with £38 worth of Shell V-Power as I do with all my vehicles.

I am nothing if not a hypocrite as even though I run my car/bike/van on the finest petrol/diesel the most important vehicle of them all (ie the person typing this) runs on junk fuel!  ::)

It has a full BMW service history with receipts from the same dealer it had been purchased from brand new in 2011 and had its last service showing 21,636 where the usual oil, filter, shaft oil & seals and brake fluid were done. Saw no mention of valve clearance check although it had been done on a previous service according to the paperwork.

It had a new pair of Michelin Road 5 GT's @1500 miles ago and a new battery fitted less than two weeks ago at its last service.

All in all a tidy machine.

Only had one 50-mile run on Sunday so far so a little early to form an opinion (unusual for me I know) other than to say I am very happy with it so far.

I'm gonna run through @5 years or so worth of threads before I start posting anything as any questions I might have had could well have been answered already.

I'll sign off for now and catch you all later...

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 04:25:33 pm by GlynH »

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: New K1300GT owner
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 03:12:29 pm »
Hello and welcome.  As someone who likes to put 99RON I think getting rid of the E10 is a great first move. I always found the Ks (1200 and 1300) run better, particularly at low revs, with higher octane fuel.

Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 03:15:42 pm »
Hi Glen and welcome to the madhouse that is EuroKClub!

If you use the search function it might make your job easier and if you need more help just shout. Brian

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023, 03:17:38 pm »
Hello and welcome.  As someone who likes to put 99RON I think getting rid of the E10 is a great first move. I always found the Ks (1200 and 1300) run better, particularly at low revs, with higher octane fuel.

Me too, just not at Shell prices. Like you, I run mine on Tesco's finest and get one or two points a season out of the deal... :)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 10:14:08 pm »
Welcome Gyln!

I run mine on any old sh*t and it all feels the same.
But then again I couldn't tell what effect the ESA settings were having for the first 3 months of ownership, so it's no good listening to me.  :winkthumbs:

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2023, 07:31:31 am »
Welcome Gyln!

I run mine on any old sh*t and it all feels the same.
But then again I couldn't tell what effect the ESA settings were having for the first 3 months of ownership, so it's no good listening to me.  :winkthumbs:

:o
 :-[
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline GlynH

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300GT EE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Touratech heated seats
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2023, 01:36:48 pm »
Ha! Thanks for taking the time to reply guys.  :winkthumbs:

Think I'm gonna like it here... ;)

-=Glyn=-