Author Topic: K1300s rad cleaning  (Read 298 times)

Offline Eastsussexbiker

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 30th Anniversary Edition
K1300s rad cleaning
« on: February 12, 2024, 06:30:05 pm »
During the odd poor English weather I notice fan coming on more than normal so I decided to investigate turned out I needed to clean the rad initially removing some panels. Which all became a ball ache especially if you have a jet wash. So I came up with this idea to back flush the rad externally then I found this gem to use and no need to to strip any plastic off.

You can get the nozzle in through the fairing to wash dirt the way it came in. It works really. So after a ride min the rain when I get homes I rinse it over and no need for jet wash plus can do it in the garage too.

And the temp gauge went down and remained so since

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: K1300s rad cleaning
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 07:59:41 pm »
If you perform a search you will find a whole thread on radiator cleaning, the flush through with water will work for a while.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2024, 09:00:49 pm »
Being a very lazy b*st*rd, I like this!

Who makes the bottle, please? I'd hate to waste my life trying several variants, only to find they don't fit in.

Cheers.

Offline Eastsussexbiker

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 30th Anniversary Edition
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2024, 09:27:37 am »
Hi this came from Lidl £9 as long as it has the same lance it will fit they are only small

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2024, 10:35:33 am »
Thanks for the info, Eastsussexbiker. A similar one has been purchased.

If you perform a search you will find a whole thread on radiator cleaning, the flush through with water will work for a while.

Agreed Rae, a full panels-off clean is still a wise move once a year, but this is a good solution for a mid-winter clean straight after a ride.

The amount of crap on the roads this winter seems to be greater than ever before - in my area at least - due mainly to even worse road surfaces, and even more off-roading by fat cars who can't steer accurately down country roads.

I see the newspapers complaining about fat cars not fitting in car parking spaces any more. Maybe they'd like to consider the effect on rural backroads too.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2024, 12:27:26 pm »
The problem with these sprayer nozzles is that don't crank through 90° degrees, only about 45°, which will work somewhat.

The 90° nozzle that K'archer make for their lances is way less wieldy but does get in there.

Eventually however, (just like the bath drain that I am repurposing for my yet to be installed shower) they will succumb to crud, just a different kind of crud to the soap scum, hair, old toe-nails and general bodily detritus that all the previous owners of Phmode Hovel have failed to clear from the inadequately inclined pipe work down the decades.