Author Topic: Garage reorganisation  (Read 2390 times)

Offline runnerboy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: The best colour K13s 😉 Remus can, carbon hugger, Heli risers.
Re: Garage reorganisation
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2023, 09:31:02 pm »
I could be tempted out too!

Just magic it to 10C or more.  ::)

Nice Bike Andy! Could be the weekend for the run to British Camp gents!

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2023, 10:30:38 pm »
I could be tempted out too!

Just magic it to 10C or more.  ::)

Nice Bike Andy! Could be the weekend for the run to British Camp gents!

Aah I just finally googled this. Interesting! I'm reading some Roman history stuff at the moment and how I imagined the British Hill forts to look matches what's left there. Amazing. I shall indeed have to go see it for myself!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline andym2

• View Profile
  • Location:: Stratford on Avon (District, the town is 'Upon' )
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2023, 11:13:41 am »

Nearly 3 litres of K loveliness, even though the K13 needs a wash.

The K16 is sooooper comfy and has lots of toys. I think we might need to come back from British Camp via Maiden Castle.

Which day would work for everyone, if we''re doing a run this weekend?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 11:16:12 am by andym2 »

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2023, 12:55:26 pm »
You might want to start another thread in the Short notice rides section, so as not to confuse.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2023, 07:54:02 pm »
Mmm nice. May yet be tempted

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2023, 10:37:12 am »
How's the big screen by the way? That's the thing I almost forgot (until I went to the BMW website just now to spec one up, oh lord I want that light brown fake stitched seat thing!) about.

I think everyone is hoping the new GS will get the wider screen, though with doubts it'd fit. Does it actually show the map finally? On my GS I used BMWs turn-by-turn and then combined with my TomTom on the device bar thing above, to gain context. If the bigger screen allows both I'll be very happy as - a year or so ago, god damn continuous deployments - the BMW app was pretty great.

Compared to the KTM one at least.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline andym2

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2023, 11:19:28 am »
Yes you can get the map on the screen, either fullscreen or in split screen. The app needs to connect both bluetooth and wifi though, otherwise you only get directions. The phone only works if you've got a helmet connected via bluetooth too, which sort of makes sense. The box for the phone isn't very big and you don't get a charge cable; you really need a short one with an angled connector (£40 from BMW).

Once it's setup though, it does work really well. You can do navigation, music, radio, phone, plus all the other settingsl using the screen with the wheel and menu button. The 4 programable buttons on the fairing are useful for getting to things quickly that would otherwise be buried a few layers down the menu structure. I just need to put a 'Missile Launch' sticker next to them so people don't ask what the 1, 2, 3, 4 buttons do.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2023, 01:09:01 pm »
Aah interesting thanks Andy. My ktm has a silly little pocket for the phone but I'd need a... I don't know, a tiny phone to fit in there and use the USB!

Which packs did you go for? The one with keyless etc is that Comfort? That's all I think I thought would be fun. Says central locking, is that for panniers open close?!

Offline andym2

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2023, 01:21:41 pm »
Comfort (Quick shift, central locking, alarm) and touring (engine bars, radio & fog lights) packs, plus floor lighting. Central locking does the panniers, a top box if fitted (I didn't get one) and the two little cubby holes in the fairing. Floor lighting is a bit gimmicky, there are some LEDs in the bottom of the fairing that come on for a few minutes when you turn the ignition off, but the one that was available had it.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2023, 04:16:19 pm »
Sounds excellent. Thanks for you patience answering all my questions :D

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2023, 05:06:55 pm »
I think that floor lights are a great idea. It depends what else lights up. I am sick of parking my bike somewhere totally dark and having to scrabble for a torch to see the case locks and then when you come back trying to find the ignition lock is an exercise in futility especially in the rain when you already have gloves on. Why can't the ign. and coming home/leaving home things light up like a car that costs less than a K?

Offline andym2

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2023, 08:15:29 pm »
You can turn the lights on by pressing the button on the key fob, and you can set them to stay on for a while after you turn the ignition off. Keyless ride means the ignition, steering lock and central locking work as long as you have the key in your pocket. The only thing you need to actually insert the key for are to remove the panniers or the seat.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2023, 10:11:53 pm »
Yeah! I was referring to the small block K's. The big block is a much more modern design.

However my other car, an Audi A4 from 2012 (same year as my K13S) does it all; keyless ignition, coming/leaving home lighting, courtesy floor lighting so you don't step in a puddle right up to your middle in your Gucci loafers etc. etc.

T'was designed in 2004, so basically a Cortina Mk IV...

Offline andym2

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2023, 02:40:29 pm »
Having ridden it for a few times now and had a chance to play with some of the toys there are a couple of niggles with the TFT / App.

To get the Map to display on the TFT needs a WiFi connection. So what happens is you start the app, turn on the ignition (order doesn't matter), app connects to TFT via Bluetooth. Then you need to start Map Mode on the App, which pops up a 'Connected wants to connect to WiFi .....' message. Click OK to that, then plug the phone into the charge cable in the box, shut the lid and good to go. That's all fine, until you stop say for fuel. When you turn the ignition off, the WiFi disconnects. When you switch on again the App connects OK to Bluetooth, tries to restart Map Mode but sits there waiting for you to OK the 'Join WiFi message'. Net result is that you need to get the phone out , click Ok and put it back in again. As you can't open the fuel cap with the ignition on, just leaving it connected to refuel isn't an option.

The other thing is that you can't change the headset volume (Sena SRL2) with the multi-controller (aka Wonder Wheel). You can with BMW headsets, which are Sena rebadged, but apparently not with any 3rd party ones. Not the end of the world to press the button on the side of the helmet, but I've never found that very easy to find with gloves on.

On the plus side, it does work really well playing Media from the phone, Radio Fm & DAB, Telephone, Navigation all controlled with the WonderWheel.