Author Topic: Coincidences and the weather  (Read 41955 times)

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
Coincidences and the weather
« on: November 23, 2016, 07:58:05 am »
So back in the saddle again after microplonker suspended their Dutch plans bringing my propeller set lifestyle to an end. So first trip is a small blip to brummie land to see ailing mother in law and we have railway closing rain, winds against me by 180 degrees, the Indian summer ended with temperatures in single figures before the chill factor is applied. Think a trip to the nec to find some bargain weather proofs my be required

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: Coincidences and the weather
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 08:11:22 am »
Have a great time at the NEC but one thing I have learned over the years in the saddle, there is no such thing as bargain weatherproofs.  Anything actually worth the name of weatherproof, that’s going to keep you warm when the temperature is in single figures , dry when the rain is in the “Angus” category, and will offer more than “light cotton” levels of abrasion protection when you need it most, will not be cheap. It may be discounted but even then it’s going to cost a lot of money.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 09:14:12 am »
Agreed. I have the layers for warm and the leathers for abrasion, needing a new waterproof layer. Due to stretched finances over the last few years have found that £60-70 will buy a set that will last a year/20000 miles. Would dearly love to invest in a proper set but think that's going to be next year

Offline Twisty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 10:22:10 am »
A long long time ago when the boy was pre-school (he's 40 now) we had a sidecar outfit. On said outfit I felt protective gear was unnecessary so wore warm clothing covered by a Helly Hansen bright yellow yachting waterproofs. You know the sort, trousers come up to your armpits. Surprisingly warm, stopped ALL of the wind, and TOTALLY waterproof.  ;D
 8)
Ride safe
Dave

BMW R1200gs LC

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 01:59:29 pm »
I agree! I have often looked at marine store offerings figuring that if they can stop water coming at you from 360 x 360 x 360 degrees all at the same time and in a force 14 then they ought to beat the wet weather on a bike.

I currently run a BMW Climat Somethingorother two-piece waterproof which is, with a bit of warmth thrown in.

The only downside is it makes me invisible as it is blacker than a black thing on black day and on a black bike at night I need a flouro vest for peace of mind.

Brian (who also considers riding without the flouro to be just as safe cos if they can't see him then they can't hit him  ::) )

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 10:19:21 pm »
Well never got to the nec but managed 900miles in the week. Think the highest temperature I saw was 9 degrees but hey it never rained.

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 11:14:42 pm »
So Twisty joined the navy and felt a man ! Agree the nautical approach or similar was the way to go in yesteryear. When I had my first bike in 1975 my winter attire consisted of waterproof overtrousers (For walking) and mucho layers plus Donkey jacket topped off with a green Cagoule. I had decent boots on with thick socks, body and head were fine (Still are actually if I say it myself ..) but hands were freezing, no matter if  wearing inner gloves flecked with  silver ( foil I presume) with  despatch riders gauntlet's and or handle bar muffs ( Hated the daft things as they got in the way really)

For typical inclement  winter days I like that new fangled thing we Europeans call  a voiture.
JS

Offline OxMan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Just sold my K1300R Dynamic in Racing Red (The fastest colour) - and taken delivery of my Guzzi.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: It's a TT Travel : with panniers; high screen; heated grips; cruise; low comfort seat; top box (!); centre stand; Ohlins; Akra sports can; engine bars; extra front fogs; Caponord mudguard/extended...
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 07:14:42 am »
I can vouch for the effectiveness of ski-wear. Thermals, gloves and trousers have all seen off daylong drenchings... a good way to get value from one of the worlds shortest skiing careers... also a relief that on a bike I can do more than turn left and fall over to stop! 🙃
Late emerging biker - took the first bike plunge at 50 with a 12GT : swapped for a 13S 9 months in... then got my mitts on a lovely 2014 13R Dynamic in rrrrrracing rrrrred! Then the COVID came along... so I upped it to France and bought a V85TT... O Sole Mio etc etc!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 09:07:31 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 09:19:05 am »
You can’t beat good old fashioned PVC for being both wind and waterproof. As a “yoof” I used to have a set (jacket and trousers) that I got from a fishing shop then used to ride my bike 25 miles each way to college in all weathers. Non motorcycle waterproofs do however, have a number of problems:

1.   If it’s not breathable and the temperature goes up a bit then you can end up being pretty sweaty and smelly.
2.   They offer no impact or abrasion protection so you need to wear a protective layer underneath. This has an effect on 1 above.
3.   As they often don’t have storm cuffs and collars the rain almost always finds its way in through the joins at the neck and wrists. The neck, in particular, can be a real leakage site, even with dedicate motorcycle waterproofs.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 11:08:01 am »
Point 3 is a really valid one for all-day, all-weather riders. The BMW suit I use at the moment has great double cuffs to get the glove between and a built-in, very high, storm collar with integral thin cotton 'hood' to keep the collar up under the rim of the helmet. Totally weather-proof.......but

If it is raining, or it is forecast, when you set out, then it all works perfectly. However, if you have to stop to don the thing when it starts raining unexpectedly, then you either get a wet head taking the helmet off to make the collar watertight or you don't bother and just snuggle the collar up as best you can whilst trying not to get saturated hands to go inside your lovely waterproof and thus far, dry gloves  ::)

The other thing to look for on a suit is trouser bottoms which open to the waist(ish) so you can get them on over your boots without falling over doing the dance of the drunken spider.

Brian (who insists the waterproof and breathable suit has not been invented and as far as his perspiration goes, never will be  >:( )

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 12:57:12 pm »
The European rain frint intersected perfectly with my progress through the south west on Saturday , ruining a half days cleaning in 30 minutes. However that was as nothing compared to the splattering I got this morning on an early start run back to Cornwall. -2C with frost covered roads to +10C.
Heated seats? Who needs 'em?

Shed of the week

Detailing

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 03:12:36 pm »
Msg received , it's cold up there.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 04:00:08 pm »
 8)

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 05:14:45 pm »
Aaaaand back in the garage. various weird and wonderful stuff from my son for cleaning and restored to some semblance of presentable. ready for 48000mile service tomorrow, first at Ocean Falmouth. Rang this afternoon, in at 830 in the morning :o