Author Topic: BMW extended Warranty!  (Read 14388 times)

Online chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
Re: BMW extended Warranty!
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2015, 05:44:36 pm »
Is that with Mondial-assistance via BMW UK

Offline scootinstevey

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 07 K1200s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Remus can, R&G protectors, baglux cover, bar risers, booster plug
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2015, 05:46:16 pm »
I have an 07 1200s, it is in very good condition with all the right extras, I do not have any warranty and am prepared to take my chances, however I did buy the bike at 50% less than the price of similar bikes my local BMW dealer had. (From a dealer, (non bmw) but as a trade sale.)
 So in reality I could spend 3k and still be even.  My local dealer surprised me when they said they would need my bike for 2 days to do a 36k service, the reason is they they don't keep valve shims in stock, as the bike rarely needs them changing.   I feel this is just a way to justify what I consider to be over the top  labour rates.  This did not fill me with confidence.   I work in the bike trade so will service myself.   However I can see that when you have invested 10k or so in a bike then the warranty is a safeguard, though I like to break things down to a mile cost.  £300 for the 2500 miles I will probably do on this bike this year is too much.  I have 3 other bikes so if I have to stick the k in the corner because of a problem it would be gutting, but not a major problem. 

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2015, 06:00:10 pm »
....and there was some talk, or rather confusion, on the old site about the 80,000 mile 'limit'.

Some thought it meant you could not 'have' the cover on a bike over 80k whilst others maintained that you could, but only if it was taken out before the 80k came up. I'm sure someone had checked with the warranty co. at the time but they have changed since then iirc.

Brian (who hopes the trailer full of spare odds and sods he hauls around with him will keep his K going)

Online chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2015, 06:09:58 pm »
I have an 07 1200s, it is in very good condition with all the right extras, I do not have any warranty and am prepared to take my chances, however I did buy the bike at 50% less than the price of similar bikes my local BMW dealer had. (From a dealer, (non bmw) but as a trade sale.)
 So in reality I could spend 3k and still be even.  My local dealer surprised me when they said they would need my bike for 2 days to do a 36k service, the reason is they they don't keep valve shims in stock, as the bike rarely needs them changing.   I feel this is just a way to justify what I consider to be over the top  labour rates.  This did not fill me with confidence.   I work in the bike trade so will service myself.   However I can see that when you have invested 10k or so in a bike then the warranty is a safeguard, though I like to break things down to a mile cost.  £300 for the 2500 miles I will probably do on this bike this year is too much.  I have 3 other bikes so if I have to stick the k in the corner because of a problem it would be gutting, but not a major problem.

Yep I'd go along with that and probably will do at some time but the 3 things that kill these K's is the servo on the early ones and then clutch's and gearbox's on the later,I mean gearbox's God knows how many posts I've seen about such over the years about such.
Just like you at some I'll run it out of the warranty and be prepared to walk away from it with other bikes in the garage and in the years to come a lot will because It'll be the cheapest option.

But I'd also say we are talking 1200's with a 1300 you having a fighting chance of surviving without one period like a normal bike ;D

Online chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2015, 06:13:04 pm »
....and there was some talk, or rather confusion, on the old site about the 80,000 mile 'limit'.

Some thought it meant you could not 'have' the cover on a bike over 80k whilst others maintained that you could, but only if it was taken out before the 80k came up. I'm sure someone had checked with the warranty co. at the time but they have changed since then iirc.

Brian (who hopes the trailer full of spare odds and sods he hauls around with him will keep his K going)

Yes it's 80 thou the policy handbook

Online chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2015, 06:14:48 pm »
And 30 thou for suspension.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2015, 06:17:38 pm »
But, does it mean the cover ends when the bike hits 80k or as was discussed in the old forum, it can continue past 80 as long as it was taken out before 80k?

Brian (who is still confused  ::) )

Online chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2015, 06:27:52 pm »
Quote from the policy book

The BMW Motorrad warranty has a mileage limitation of 80,000 miles at the commencement date for the component cover.

Online chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2015, 06:47:58 pm »
If you want to be really confused I never take the BMW Assistance because I/we use the RAC but every year when speaking the the person on the phone they tell me if I break down I can still phone for assistance?? No I don't know either.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R Sport; 2007
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2015, 07:40:02 pm »
Perhaps it's like the AA and RAC where they respond to your call if you join on the spot?

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2015, 02:08:07 pm »
Quote from the policy book

The BMW Motorrad warranty has a mileage limitation of 80,000 miles at the commencement date for the component cover.

So, does that mean at the very first commencement of the cover?

Or does it mean the commencement of cover the year after your bike hits 80,000 miles?

We need a high-mileage warranty owning member to tell us the truth!

Brian (who just never knows when to stopp digging)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2015, 03:46:20 pm »
Brian, was our friend insured with BMW mondial care when he had the accident in Switzerland? 
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2015, 04:45:38 pm »
Yes, and a fat lot of good it did him! Been better off recovering it to the port, shoving it on the boat and having Costs collect it from Patra.

As it was, it took over 10 days to get it fixed between Switzerland and Italy. The girl in the local chip shop could have fixed it quicker.

Brian (who is assuming it was Mondial, it was certainly BMW Assist)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2015, 05:35:29 pm »
I'm facing the dilemma to get that BMW Mondial for 72 euros annually or leave it to my insurance company AIG for 90 euros, as you see its not so much a matter of cost but of what they really offer.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2015, 06:51:00 pm »
I don't have the BMW Assist. I have a package through the Civil Service Motoring Association with Britannia Rescue.

This covers my car with anyone driving, my bike with anyone riding, swimbo's car with anyone driving it, any car she is legally driving or in which she is a passenger, any car I am legally driving or in which I am a passenger and I assume ditto for bikes, all at the same time, with my bike and my car covered in Europe.

This costs £160/year and has worked well on the few occasions I have needed it, four times with a car and once with a bike.

Brian (who thinks it cost a member of the Old Gits E400 to get recovered off the top of a mountain to the local BMW dealers last summer cos he didn't have any breakdown cover)