Author Topic: How to destroy a tire.  (Read 5076 times)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
How to destroy a tire.
« on: February 19, 2016, 08:28:58 pm »
How ro destroy a brand new 600 kms tire? Simple ride through a side walk cause the stupid agricultural moron almost run over you with his huge NISSAN NAVARA 3,5.
Am mooring for my ANGEL GT, was so huppy with that tire and was getting ready to write a first impression report, meant to be a very commenting,  but now am looking at the bike wich had to be pushed for 2 kms  .
And the worshed is my left knee was caught in a street sign.  Didn't broke thank my guardian angel for it, but its shored and the  cruciate ligament was injured.
Even  more bad news , haven't finished work with the olive trees yet.
So my trip back postponed my kneee hurts  and the bike is going to get metzeler Road tech 01. Cannot find Pirreli here.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R Sport; 2007
Re: How to destroy a tire.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 08:41:53 pm »
Sorry to hear about your mishap, Costas. I hope your knee heals quickly and doesn't trouble you too much.In comparison, tyres can be relatively easily replaced, albeit at a cost and not your preferred brand!

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 09:07:54 pm »
Not prefered indeed. Thanks much on the words of comfort.
For one more time the protective gear saves , my HOOD jeans with KNOX protection  today took the blame.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 06:03:31 pm by Costas »
Embrace the wind.

Offline tiggerwood

• Like BMW Bikes but not some dealers
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT 2010 (109000 miles)
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Wunderlich Air deflectors, top box
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 09:50:43 pm »
Sorry to hear your news. Hope all heals quickly.
Business  bikes are tax deductable

Elite Evil

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 09:55:39 pm »
Did the car stop? Or was he just oblivious?

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 10:25:38 pm »
Oh bugger Costas. Not too good.

At least you was able to avoid something far more serious. Someone not as experienced as you might have come off a lot lot worse.

The main thing is that you survived to tell the tale.

You look after yourself.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 10:34:33 pm »
Bugger!

Gald you are OK. Tyres are cheap'ish, knees more so!

Brian (who says be careful out there and do it to them before they do it to you  :o )

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 05:00:39 am »
Thank you all for the kind words of comfort.
Oh he did stoped and was very apologetic,  but the point and the way it happened was excluding  any insurance claim
Front wheel needs bearings too as it took the blame , luckily it has no marks , scratches or any bent (most important) . Local mechanic has bearings, better  Japan made  NSK for 18€, as opposed to SKF made in Turkey 16€.
He also took the rear tire and offered a discount of 100€ ( prefer never to ride with diferent tyres as most of the time their behaviour does not match each other),  total cost for two new tyres and the bearings will rise to 250€.
How how on earth main beam bulb exploded is the mystery in this case. New bulb, last one changed only two months ago. OSRAM Night Racer 110 for another 40€. Grant total 290€. For a stupid accident.
Most important issue : knee hurts a lot and couldn't sleep this past night mm, dreadful at the though of not wearing protective trousers .
Hope for a fast recovey.
There was a posirtive thing though was solo . 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 08:12:27 am by Costas »
Embrace the wind.

Offline Timbox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 06:36:02 am »
So it isnt just me the crash test dummy,  my last physio session today funnily enough. As with myself, main thing is you are still around to tell the tale Costas, bikes can be fixed, or not in my case, speedy recovery, take care
Isnt it Ironic, no its a BMW what dya expect.

Offline tiggerwood

• Like BMW Bikes but not some dealers
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT 2010 (109000 miles)
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Wunderlich Air deflectors, top box
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 09:29:56 am »
As an immortal young biker, protective clothing was not on my "must have" list. The body was flexible and healed quickly.
Over the last 15 years, I've become much more concerned about the effect of crashing on old brittle bones, so armour is now the norm for me. Fortunately I have no crash-test dummy experience although there have been many narrow escapes.
Business  bikes are tax deductable

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 09:58:34 am »
Strange that the bearings went in the shunt.

I think if the front took such a big hit I might fear for the integrity of the ball-joints! Remember this...

Brian (who is really glad your pillion was not on board  :D )

Offline Twisty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 10:07:49 am »
Sorry to hear of your 'prang' Costas. Hope your knee heals quickly with no lasting effects.
 8)
Ride safe
Dave

BMW R1200gs LC

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 12:43:00 pm »
Sidewalk was only 5cm high but had a sharping edge that tear the right side of front tyre and now that saw it a small chunk of rear is missing too. Tyre guy saw it too but dismissed it as very small to bother, I certainly bother a lot.  He said deal is a deal and got the 250€.
Bearings  were changed as a precautional  measure , only cause one of them demonstrated signs or corrosion, nothing to do with the incident.  I should have had clarify that before.   
Bike in the garage now.
Me in bed leaking my wounds.
Monday for the new bulb job. And Wednesday return trip to Athens.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Timbox

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2016, 01:08:47 pm »
If its enough to bother the wheel bearings, how about the wheel rim?
Isnt it Ironic, no its a BMW what dya expect.

Offline Steve F

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: R1200RT
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2016, 01:26:25 pm »
Don't let your wounds leak in bed too much Costas....it makes such a mess...!! ;) ;D