Author Topic: K1300s 2013 Dip Headlight Not Working  (Read 13779 times)

Offline clockers

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fenda extenda, Hugger, Clear Lenses,Heli bars,Hid, Carbon parts
K1300s 2013 Dip Headlight Not Working
« on: July 13, 2016, 04:30:29 pm »
Hi all
 The dip headlight stopped working changed bulb still no joy. Put tester on plug that goes onto bulb shows nothing as there are no fuses on the bike what do I do next HELP.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: K1300s 2013 Dip Headlight Not Working
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 05:50:11 pm »
Probably doesn't make any difference but has it thrown up a bulb failure warning on the dash?

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 06:13:55 pm »
Handlebar switchgear?

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 10:52:50 pm »
Handlebar switchgear?

More than likely! My thinking was that if it put up a fault light then the switchgear was working, if it didn't put up a fault light then it most likely wasn't.

Do we know which years were affected by the duff switchesa.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 09:10:16 am »
Handlebar swichgear.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 10:42:41 am »
And don't forget, if the year is right (or wrong   ::) ) fitting the new switches is free of charge.

Offline clockers

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fenda extenda, Hugger, Clear Lenses,Heli bars,Hid, Carbon parts
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 10:55:13 am »
Thanks for replys, the LAMP failure comes up on dash. Looks like it on it way to the dealers.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 11:26:28 am »
Wait if the lamp comesup then you have something going on with installation  , make sure lamps are installed correctly.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 03:42:49 pm »
Have you had this bike since new?

If not, then a previous owner may have used something like a Scotchlok (spit) connector on the feeder wires to power aux lights. Unlikely but a possibility, even if it didn't work!

So, take a close look at the wires from the bulb connector into the loom as far as you can see! It isn't unknown for wires that have been Scotchlok'd to break once the connector is removed.

Offline Greenman

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: A 2009 my 1300s (maybe the sport model as it has all the options)
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Zumo 550, optimate, rear rack, tail packs, panniers, front and rear R&G axle protectors.
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 06:52:32 pm »
If the main beam works, would the switch gear and feed be ok?

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 09:27:45 pm »
Not for the dip. Different feed from different contacts in the switch with different wires going to different places; one set to the dip, the other set to both main beams.

Offline Greenman

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: A 2009 my 1300s (maybe the sport model as it has all the options)
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Zumo 550, optimate, rear rack, tail packs, panniers, front and rear R&G axle protectors.
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 06:42:07 pm »
Not for the dip. Different feed from different contacts in the switch with different wires going to different places; one set to the dip, the other set to both main beams.

Offline Philip

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport STOLEN. Now on R1200GS which is a little slower.
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2016, 11:50:57 am »
When you switch on the ignition only the parking light lights.
When the engine fires up the dip lights up.
So the dip bulb is either powered direct from a canbus controller or via a relay & may not go via handlebar switchgear.
I havn't got a wiring diagram so can't help further.

Offline Philip

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport STOLEN. Now on R1200GS which is a little slower.
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 12:58:16 pm »
Just found the K1200S wiring diagram in the resources section.

Assuming the K1300 is similar, all lighting & other ancilliaries wire direct to & are controlled by the ZFE unit.
Switches also connect direct to this unit, so there is no direct control from any switch to any light / horn etc.

So either the wire to the ZFE is disconnected or the ZFE is broke.

The ZFE seems to be permanently connected accross the battery to keep it powered up, so it might be worth disconnecting the battery for a minute then re-connecting & see if the function is restored.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2016, 08:44:53 pm »
Well, the theory might be sound but the switches are totally different.

The K12 had the old style 'BMW' Marmite switches, you either loved 'em or hated 'em and I really, really loathed them with a passion! The K13 has the new 'Honda' style switches and the early ones had narsty ones that failed on a regular basis and which are the subject of a non-recall whereby if you moan about them they fit new ones for you. The later version of the 'Honda' style ones are a better quality and don't fail as often.

The ZFE is where the Canbus happens, or not as the case may be  8)