General forum area > K1200 / K1300 Forum

Trusted Independent in Warwickshire - valve check?

(1/4) > >>

runnerboy:
The time has come to sell one of the K’s, I love the idea of keeping both but realistically unless I consider it as a long term risk reduction for the other K, it should go.
Before that though, I’d like to have the valves checked for the next owner. Can anyone recommend a workshop who will do the work at a reasonable rate, in the Midlands?

richtea:
You could try Behind Bars in Kenilworth. Andy Spencer the owner is trustworthy and competent. I'm not sure he's a K expert, but he's certainly worked on plenty of BMWs, so there shouldn't be any surprises in a K.

The trouble with K valve checks is that it's inherently expensive because of the time to strip the bodywork down.

You almost want to do a deal where you strip it, push it into workshop, he does the valves, then push it out and stick all the plastic back on. Probably wouldn't go down well with most indies though.

chriscanning:
Look forward to replies cuz ever since the demise of Clark’s on top of the Lickies and the complete lack of any attempt from BMW to fill the gap,their are good mechanics out there(as in put a 1300 gearbox in my 1200 as a favour ) but I’ve been looking for a true independent ever since and that’s got to be 6 years or more.

andym2:
I’d try Behind Bars too. It’s actually not that difficult to check the valves, you just need time, a vacuum filler for the cooling system and a puller to get the coil packs out. If they need adjustment (most don’t) you need a special tool to remove the camshafts and the shims.

As well as the time, dealers will usually change the plugs @ £40 each while it’s apart.

Phmode:

--- Quote from: richtea on April 16, 2024, 10:45:17 pm ---You could try Behind Bars in Kenilworth. Andy Spencer the owner is trustworthy and competent. I'm not sure he's a K expert, but he's certainly worked on plenty of BMWs, so there shouldn't be any surprises in a K.

The trouble with K valve checks is that it's inherently expensive because of the time to strip the bodywork down.

You almost want to do a deal where you strip it, push it into workshop, he does the valves, then push it out and stick all the plastic back on. Probably wouldn't go down well with most indies though.

--- End quote ---

You can strip the bodywork and ride it to them. I did that when I had the K12 cleaned and sealed with wossisname...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version