Author Topic: Hi from Northants  (Read 1658 times)

Offline johndglynn

• View Profile
    • Ferdinand Magazine
Hi from Northants
« on: June 03, 2017, 10:19:33 am »
Hi everyone, I am John (49), live in south Northants and have a few old cars and bikes (1150 GSA, VFR800fi, scoot).

I am looking at possibly buying a K1200R Sport as my next two-wheeled machine as trying to keep miles off the GS and accept that, while I adore it, for some trips it is not the perfect machine. e.g. am off to Donegal this month for a few days, then easy ride down the west coast to my sister's place in Clare (am from Limerick originally) and then back up to Dublin and home from there. Some of it will be great on the GS but some of it not so great. VFR would be OK but that is in bits and am in no rush to reassemble it...

I started looking at K bikes as was examining logistics for a US coast-to-coast for my 50th and considering options for buying out there. My preference would be an R1150R as is not a high-speed run and am a roadster fan and boxer diehard, then starting finding K1300GTs etc on Craigslist - some nice Ks for sale on either coast and not mad prices for under 100k miles & well maintained. Went from GT to K1200R which is quite my style and Sport has the fairing with a riding position that may suit me best. But am totally up in the air about it.

Just building up my technical knowledge at this stage, so many thanks to all who have put so much info on here. I have a few 1200 Sports on my eBay watch list and am still a potential 13GT buyer, so who knows.
Irish Writer • Jack Russell Slave • Global Citizen

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Hi from Northants
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 02:17:09 pm »
Welcome from Banbury, just next door.

You'll get loads of useful info (& opinions) here.

So, here's an opinion!  ;D
You might want to consider a 1300 rather than a 1200. This has near as dammit zero miles at a good price:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201704224693285?make=BMW&postcode=cv472ar&sort=price-asc&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_bikes&model=K1300R&page=1

Or were you buying in the US?

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 05:14:13 pm »
Hi John and welcome to the madhouse that is EuroKClub!

We have some (not very active) members in the US who might be able to help with your holiday prep.

As Richard said, go for the K13 rather than 12 if you can stretch the budget. It may well serve you better in the long run.

Brian

Offline Eyore

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Lots of Polish. Titax levers. GPR end can.R&G Protectors, carbon fibre bling, Tom Tom mount,daytime led lights.Low seat.Oberon clutch slave cylinder.Airblade DB screen,fender extender.Michael Dunlop sticker.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 07:53:38 pm »
Hi John, lots of Glynns out my way in Kilrush. :)
The fastest Pizza delivery bike in the west.

Offline johndglynn

• View Profile
    • Ferdinand Magazine
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 09:00:15 am »
Hi John, lots of Glynns out my way in Kilrush. :)
Hi Kim, I know it well, spent all my childhood summers in Carrigaholt/Kilkee until we started Euro touring. Looking forward to being back in Clare: praying some for some blue sky to go with it.

Thanks Rich & Brian, I think if I buy something in US it will most likely be a 1300GT, seems to be a good fit for my plan there which is three or four legs across the southern route. I know a few people across the US who could board it for me. Having something comfortable and reliable that I could leave out there for a few years and fly back and forth to would be excellent, then ship it home in the end.

I threw my leg over a K1200R Sport for sale at Sheldons in Birmingham yesterday, the riding position was not ideal as a bit tight between the shoulders. Rest of the bike looked OK and price also OK at a touch under £4k. The black 1300R is outside my ideal budget but some very well-priced 05/06 K1200S models have also popped up in last few days. No rush this end however and I may end up on an older model.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 11:28:42 am »
Hi John,

Make sure you read through this and other forums (who knew there  were other forums, fori?) so you are fully aware of the pitfalls of buying a K12. There were lots of, how shall I put this, design foibles and quirks with the 12 which were ironed out in the 13. Not that the 13 is perfect; switchgear and hot start issues for example.

Make sure you get a full warranty with a K.

I would suggest avoiding a 12 with the electric pumped ABS system unless you have proof that it has been rebuilt professionally, not easy to get done, but possible, although avoiding the need in the first place is the way to go.

If the idling on a 12 is anything other than flawless at low rpm beware.

Lots of other stuff in here, so have a search around and good luck.

Also check for bubbling paintwork on the rear drive hub and the bottom of the front wheel carrier - forks to you and me.

Offline johndglynn

• View Profile
    • Ferdinand Magazine
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 06:07:54 pm »
Will do, thanks Brian ;)