Author Topic: Motocentral (Hinckley) - praise  (Read 6746 times)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Motocentral (Hinckley) - praise
« on: February 11, 2020, 10:04:26 am »
Just bought a new AGV helmet at considerable discount here:
https://www.motocentral.co.uk/

They're just south of Hinckley (M69/A5 roundabout)
I've ridden past here so many times, and never realised it was there.

They're polite, helpful in trying on different sizes, and they also seemed to have very good stock range - presumably for mostly online sales.
As a place to try kit on, and still get a reasonable price, it's a good choice - and a nice ride if a mini-storm doesn't start just as you leave.

The only thing to be aware of is they have multiple pricing, which is no surprise nowadays. In descending order:
- shop price (list price)
- internet price (better)
- eBay specials (specifically https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/Cheap-Bike-Gear, for discontinued kit only)

They will give you the internet/eBay price in the shop, but only if you ask. Just take the link along with you on the phone.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 10:07:47 am by richtea »

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Motocentral (Hinckley) - praise
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 10:27:00 am »
If I remember rightly, I suggested stopping here on one of the Wrinklies trips when we stayed at the Premier Inn Hinckley. Everyone must have been topped up on kit at that time.  ;)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 10:44:31 am »
You know your bike shops, Rae!

I'd say it might be one level down from your favourite Boston haunt, SportsBikeShop.co.uk - no posh parking.  ;D
But it's rather closer for me. And £120 less for my particular purchase.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 10:55:01 am »
Sportsbikeshop saw the error of their ways and opened a shop in Leeds, Boston is a nice ride out though.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 11:15:04 am »
They obviously checked their big data, and worked out the majority of sales came from the Normanton area of West Yorkshire.
And thus the mountain did move to Mohammed (no cultural appropriation intended  :o).

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 11:25:38 am »
And just to totally hijack this otherwise great thread, biking has never made much of an inroad into Asian culture over here.

Apart from the tosser who closed the original site down, two young guys from Manchester at the finish of the Reclaim North Wales rideout and the couple on the Ducati Diablo in Llanwrtyd Wells (gorgeous bike, gorgeous pillion  ;) ) I have never seen another obviously Asian rider. Discuss!

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 12:09:37 pm »
I went to a WYAMS Sunday ride a few weeks ago and there was an Asian guy on a ZZR1400 in attendance.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 12:33:25 pm »
Yup, we have a couple of Asian guys in the Coventry club. It's a good start. The more the merrier.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 01:08:52 pm »
Blimey the weather must be bad from Moto Central to Asian biking inside half a dozen posts....

Re MC we we’re in there Friday attempting to decipher the wonders of womens Rukka jacket sizing policy.... although I have to say we are rather spoiled here in the West Mids for motorcycle clothing outlets including ‘Bikerswear’ so you can include both parts of this thread and they are very good,having said that so are both of the J&S outlets and those few mentioned are just scratching the surface.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 01:27:19 pm »
Bad? I've just been to collect the car from the hospital where it had a nose job following the High Speed Pheasant strike and even in the town I was desperately trying to avoid flying wheelie bins from attacking it again...

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 06:41:40 pm »
Whew! I made it through the ebay shop and didn't buy a thing! They got some lovely looking hats there though, but I've already got 4 so shush. Although I did want a replacement Arai... shush!

Check their front door site before buying from ebay though, I saw at least an alpinestars backpack a bit more on ebay.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 11:37:42 pm »
Whew! I made it through the ebay shop and didn't buy a thing! They got some lovely looking hats there though, but I've already got 4 so shush. Although I did want a replacement Arai... shush!

AGV for me. I think I got the last Med/Large one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLEARANCE-AGV-Pista-GP-R-Motorcycle-Helmet-Staccata-Carbon-Red-Medium-Small/233346037668

Suits me better than Arai, but it took me 20+ years to find that out. Doh.
The only downside is the rear spoiler got bigger on this newer model, so I may replace it with the smaller old one. Or just remove it. Probably only effective at 150mph or something... but good for boasting, eh.  ;D

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2020, 01:17:08 pm »
Seeing as your head is about 4 feet above the screen I imagine the spoiler willbe very effective.

I messed around with a bit of tank taoe and a strip of cardboard and it definitely makes for less vibration in the helmet...mind you, lifesavers can be a bit like doing one with a Turbo-Visor fitted...

https://ironhorsespares.co.uk/blog/turbo-visor-accessory/

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 05:19:13 pm »
Seeing as your head is about 4 feet above the screen I imagine the spoiler willbe very effective.

I messed around with a bit of tank taoe and a strip of cardboard and it definitely makes for less vibration in the helmet...mind you, lifesavers can be a bit like doing one with a Turbo-Visor fitted...

It's true! If you turn your head sideways the wind noise doubles. Maybe I'll leave it on and stay looking like Alien.

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2020, 12:00:19 am »
I've heard good reports on the windjammer helmet skirt to reduce wind noise. I'd get one but for it masking my RPHA70 sunshield control.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/WINDJAMMER-REDUCES-Helmets-original-copied/dp/B003FHLNVK

Anyone here tried them?