Author Topic: Hot no-start, Welsh pigs, Unicorns and socially responsible taxi drivers!  (Read 7217 times)

Offline Bruno

• View Profile
A really enjoyable read Brian, although I'm sure that it was far from enjoyable at the time.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 08:21:33 pm by Bruno »
If at first you don't succeed then skydiving definitely isn't for you.

Steven Wright

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Sometimes you just have to bathe in the glow of your own stupidity....

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R Sport; 2007
i don't think that buying a K  bike (or 2) is necessarily stupid, Brian. Bold, perhaps, or even slighty reckless but not stupid. However, I'm sure Rae, who has been commendably quiet, could suggest an alternative model should you decide to opt for an easier life.

Offline kennyc

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200GT 2008
strange you should mention this, but I have found on a couple of occassions that if stalled it sounds like the battery is almost flat when you try to restart the engine? never have a problem from cold or hot if have stopped for a minute or two, only when trying to restart quickley in gear, is it possibly drag from the clutch ?
as to bump starting, you should try it with a big boxer  :P the trick is to release/pull in the clutch lever as fast as you can, it takes only a fraction of a second to turn the engine over and start it, I found with my 1100 RT that there was no gear high enough and no speed high enough to stop the wheel locking or the bike grinding to a halt if you just dumped the clutch, and the bike would never start!

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
i don't think that buying a K  bike (or 2) is necessarily stupid, Brian. Bold, perhaps, or even slighty reckless but not stupid. However, I'm sure Rae, who has been commendably quiet, could suggest an alternative model should you decide to opt for an easier life.

I made my recommendation on the day  ;D

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.

I wasn't meaning that K ownership was stupid; the stupid was stalling the bike, sending Richard off before making the call, not noticing my phone had lost 100% of its charge in a day's riding, not having any of the four (count them, four) powertanks for re-charging your phone with me. See, I'm bathing in it even now  8)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Kenny, Vines assure me that starting a big R single-handedly is virtually impossible; I couldn't even manage it down a fairly long hill.

Their secret was three guys, one pushing and two on the seat  ::)

Offline kennyc

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200GT 2008
Kenny, Vines assure me that starting a big R single-handedly is virtually impossible; I couldn't even manage it down a fairly long hill.

Their secret was three guys, one pushing and two on the seat  ::)
then they are a bunch of limp wristed panty wasted pussies  :P
I had 2 starter motors crap out on me in 10 years of 1100 ownership (the 2nd taught me not to buy second hand starters, it only lasted a week) both times it left me having to get home from a couple of hundred miles away, so I had plenty of practice, add to that the number of times I used to bump start it to clear the voltage drop ABS fault due to the bike not being used for weeks on end, and in the end I got very good at bumpstarting it  8)
the trick is to let the clutch out and immediatly bring it back, wait a second and you will grind to a halt,
the first time it happened I was in Yorkshire with friends, and trying the old way with 4 people pushing just meant the the bike stopped abruptly! once I got the trick it was easy peasy and as long as I stopped on a gentle slope it was easy to restart  ;D

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R Sport; 2007
I know what you meant,  Brian. I was intending to be humorous. I'll get my coat.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S

I made my recommendation on the day  ;D

At just beyond arm's length!

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Sometimes you just have to bathe in the glow of your own stupidity....

'Bathe' - I think that sums up the last watery couple of hours we had, Brian.  ;D
In my memory it was going dark, even though it was 5pm in June. Weird. Possibly just tunnel vision as I got wetter and wetter.

And just for Costas' amusement in case he hasn't noticed - we've had a heatwave here in the UK. Around 30-32C for 5 days in row. Me and the cat are lying low - it's too hot to do anything other than breathe occasionally.
You couldn't make it up.