Author Topic: Tyre manufacturers & invasion of Ukraine  (Read 6257 times)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Tyre manufacturers & invasion of Ukraine
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2022, 01:53:11 pm »
Given we all have our own thoughts on everything (dogs can't look left), I feel that the 'SUSPENSION' companies are acting much like Renault where they are virtue signalling whilst keeping the seat warm to buy back in. As these enterprises are quite obviously far from attempting a Kaesong Industrial Park style 'influencing' spin on money making, but just plain money making, I'm skipping them too.

Good man.
It will probably be Michelin for me, but that's on a K, not a KTM. But the Power RS could be sweet.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2022, 11:19:52 pm »
Whichever you put on it will rain and then you will wish you had put the Mich's on...

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2022, 12:16:46 pm »
Big time! Especially in Scotland! These almost dead Angel GT 2s did feel pretty confidence inspiring in the rain on Friday. Metzeler M9 RR are on their way!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline farmer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200rs, k1300s
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2022, 07:17:55 pm »
maybe too late but my k came with metzelers and i just never grew to them. in fact i changed a just over half worn pair for my usual avons... and i'm not known for changing tyres early. maybe in my head but i've had pirelli diablos,continentals even battleaxes on and just rode them done but couldn't thole the metzelers. each to his own and all that but the pirellis are the only tyre i have experienced that come close to the avon.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2022, 07:50:02 am »

Well. It's certainly increased my ride height!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2022, 07:32:18 pm »
Talking of ride height, I have finally had enough of my 250 Honda being too tall for my mere 33" inside legs. And that is on the road. Off road it is frankly lethal at a standstill. Five years ownership of an 1150 GS and I never had this problem...

Stock, the suspension is wayyyyy too soft and virtually unrideable off road but it sags and wallows like an old yank tank. But, it was manageable. Uprated rear shock and front spring made it almost perfick off road, but it is like a pig on stilts now.

Sure, I can flat-foot the big bugger at a standstill but as soon as one lifts ones arse to try to paddle the thing around, it simply rises up with you. For those who have 'enjoyed' the uphill, hairpin, gravel turn into my drive, (not to mention the left hand, downhill, hairpin turn out again), you can imagine what it is like when you are tippy-toeing a bike you are now too ancient to pick up.

So, Tuesday, I am off for a jaunt to the big black smoke (Brum) to see P&P Seating. Never heard of them before yesterday but they make and remake seats for anything on two wheels, as well as re-profiling, recovering and restoring. 'Just pop in next week and we can take two and half inches off the seat while you wait.' It was this or screwing three layers of deck planks to the bottom of me boots.

More anon...

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2022, 07:54:20 pm »
2 and a half inches! That's pretty impressive. They must make seats differently on such bikes. Good luck in Brum, try not to catch the accent it'll take years to be rid of. I got lucky and was brought up in a pocket of relatively well spoken peripheral brumness.

If it goes well then it add slight weight to my crf300 idea :D.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2022, 01:52:56 pm »
The stock bike will work even for you. As long as you don't mind the wallowing under acceleration and braking. And as long as you don't mod the suspension to cure the fore said. In other words, as long as you don't try to go off road in a serious way.

The seat has about 4" of foam, so it should be OK...

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2024, 11:01:32 am »
Updating this thread for those interested. The list is still being kept up to date. New url for extra words too.

https://som.yale.edu/story/2022/over-1000-companies-have-curtailed-operations-russia-some-remain

Url says 2022 but it's got a 2024 last update thing.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2024, 02:20:31 pm »
Updating this thread for those interested. The list is still being kept up to date. New url for extra words too.

https://som.yale.edu/story/2022/over-1000-companies-have-curtailed-operations-russia-some-remain

Url says 2022 but it's got a 2024 last update thing.

And to save time searching:
  • Pirelli        suspend new investments in Russia and scale back production (note Pirelli owns Metzeler too, by the way)
  • Michelin    suspended all operations in Russia

'Scale back' = so they supply just Russia & Belarus presumably, since no one else should be buying them? Who knows, but it doesn't read like Pirelli are covering themselves in glory.

They've missed out on two pairs from me so far, and will miss out on a third pair, come May. It's Michelin pour moi.

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2024, 02:52:00 pm »
I bypassed the Angel GTs in favour of the Avon Spirit ST

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2024, 03:07:44 pm »
I bypassed the Angel GTs in favour of the Avon Spirit ST
:thumbsupgood: :thumbsupgood: :thumbsupgood:
I will consider them too, in that case.

[Edit: how do you find them, Rae? For feel in the dry, the wet, and also longevity? Ta.]
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 03:15:31 pm by richtea »