Author Topic: avon v the rest  (Read 5190 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: avon v the rest
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2020, 11:30:35 am »
For me, being a Brit living in the wetlands of Britain, the huge plus of the PR series is that the wet grip, even from stone cold, is not that far off it's grip in the dry.

I never used the 2 but heard great things about it.

The 3 is still the best all round tyre for our mixed weather (says he who hasn't used anything else since 2012).

I never liked the tramlining over broken, longitudinal tarmac joints with the 4 but for all-round UK confidence I doubt the PR's can be bettered and ain't about to spend my money finding out.

And, Chris, I thought I was the only one who threw away new tyres. The new Bridgestone BT014's that the previous owner of my K12S kindly put on for me between test riding it on heaven-knows-what and collecting it, almost killed me on too many occasions and they went in Micheldever Tyres' skip with 900 miles on them  ::)

Lembu

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2020, 02:10:59 pm »
tyre time is approaching and there seems to be no discussion anywhere on tyres....

I put up details of my purchase of PR5s here https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=2781.45

After a little over 5,000km later  I'd say the tyres are probably the best I have had.  Two weeks ago I had 2 hours in torrential rain, and they didnt even notice.  There are tarmac snakes a-plenty on the autobahn, they do not wiggle.  I have not used the whole available tread - I think I could only do that on a track - but i am super confident in the grip they give.

I have a friend with the Power RS on his Hypermotard - they are labelled "Official MotoGP Class Tyre" and do look racier - but the rating is the same as the PR5 and they maybe not as suitable for wet conditions as the PR5.

Offline farmer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200rs, k1300s
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2020, 11:40:10 am »
well guys just put a set of avon ultra 3d's on.
only done a few miles since collecting the bike(40 ish), tyres feel nice and planted.
left bike in and collected with job done also took my old tyres back, £225.
my thoughts were to give local business a turn, i could have bought them over the ,net for a lot less and fitted myself.
i now have three bits of paint chipped of my rear rim, when asked the fitter....motorcycle tyre only may i add...said he though he saw a bubble on the rim, i dunnno, can't say he was wrong but i never saw it and there are no other bubbles anywhere on the bike.
so i guess avon tyres 1    supporting your local business 0
on another note the wheels were balanced and i don't notice any difference. sometimes i get them fitted and they are balanced and sometimes i fit them myself and they are not and i never have noticed any difference...maybe i'm going too slow.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2020, 12:25:28 pm »
Sorry Farmer, where did you go for the tyres? I mean BMW or nail-strewn small industrial estate place?
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2020, 12:58:34 pm »
he has been mentioned here before....in a good light, i wasn't going to mention his name as it wasn't the worst thing done on me and accidents happen....that said if it had been me i would have fixed the wheel myself no matter about a bubble or not and one of the strengths of this group of ours is the network of knowledge(or lack thereof) we all provide.
it was at mckillop motorcycles , he's big in the racing scene for supply of tyres and is the main local dealer for Michelin and avon tyres.
i'll probably touch up the chips... 2small and 1 fairly decent sized and powder coat them in the winter. as to going back, well i've gave it a bit of thought and i'll probably be fitting my own tyres the next time.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2020, 02:07:52 pm »
I think when I finally move to my homestead with 5 acres and a friendly badger and oh yeah a workshop or triple garage then I'll get the balancer and associated paraphernalia and do tyres myself too.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2020, 03:30:46 pm »
i fit tyres with a bit of angle iron and a couple of tyre levers, alloy wheels get a bit of rag wrapped round the levers and a smaller hammer with added caution.... never marked one yet. that said it's time consuming and a tyre machine would be nice.
as for the badger.....they're all nicey nice to your face but they'll stab you in the back first chance they get. they have a great image with all the tv work they get, plum roles never the baddie, but they're just acting, in real life they're a crowd of sh%^s!!

Offline corkboy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 08' K1200 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: AF-XIED plug. Z-TEC screen, LED Highbeams, Front/rear dashcam
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2020, 03:51:34 pm »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2020, 06:42:30 pm »
The previous owner of my K13 had his done at National and they scuffed both wheels. Almost impossible to see and I never noticed till I made contact and he told me then.

Lets face it, rim protectors cost nowt and professionals are meant to be just that...  >:(

Offline farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2020, 07:38:51 pm »
indeed, but these aren't scuffs, proper paint off chips. as you say those rim protectors should be standard for any professional tyre fitter especially a motorcycle only one....not many bikes sporting an oul set of steelies

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2020, 09:36:29 pm »
...my 'old', newly acquired 1977 BMW R100RS has a set of used OE optional Lester alloys with the original tyres and the original, unused, spoked steelies in perfect condition...if any effin tyre fitter marks those he will get the thinFgs wrapped round his neFck  8)