Author Topic: Rear Shock removal and service  (Read 4456 times)

Offline DiscTrucker

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT
Re: Rear Shock removal and service
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2021, 09:32:34 pm »
So, the state of play I’m in at the moment is my bike is almost all in various jars and receptacles, other parts strategically placed so I know what, where and out of harms way.
Basically it’s in bits!
Whilst I’m at this stage I may as well get some of the other bits done that I was going to tackle at a later date!
My swing arm was showing corrosion, now it’s out I can see I only saw the tip of the iceberg!
As it does, over the years, water has crept under the powder coating and 50% if not more has just peeled straight off!
It basically looked like I’d kicked a packet of bran flakes around the garage!
People who have done this before, did you choose to powder coat or paint?
I can see if powder coat I am going to have to remove all bearings etc, strip the final drive right down!
Whereas paint, I could potentially mask a lot off.
What are people’s thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 09:43:45 pm by DiscTrucker »

revd

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2021, 07:57:28 am »
I rubbed the affected areas down, used an aluminium primer and then Hammerite smooth paint to coat it.  Looks good and is holding up to all weather riding, but I don't ride as much as I used to as I no longer need to commute by bike.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2021, 10:41:19 am »
Hammerite smooth is a good choice, it has a long chain alkyd resin base which makes it extremely resilient. Get all of the existing flaky powder coating off and get in there with a Dremel wire brush to get the awkward bits. Hammerite Smooth is a slow drying/curing paint and gives an excellent finish. Make sure the area is dust free of make some king of cover and give it at least two weeks to harden. Whilst it will be touch dry in a few hours you must give it time to harden before man-handling it.

Buy lots of Hammerite lads, I am an Akzo Nobel pensioner  :winkthumbs:

Offline DiscTrucker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2021, 10:50:49 am »
I was thinking about going the paint and 2k lacquer route.
Like I say, the whole lot needs doing.
Are you suggesting smooth hammerite in a spray can?
Also, MCT say that, whilst they can repair my shock, they can’t powder coat the spring as there is a 6 week wait!
It seems daft to go to this extent and not get that done at the same time.

Sorry to drag this on, but again, can I get peoples thoughts on this?

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2021, 10:59:41 am »
Hammerite smooth is a good choice, it has a long chain alkyd resin base which makes it extremely resilient.

Works really well for engine touch-ups too. As previously recommended by Rae.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2021, 11:15:23 am »
Hammerite Smooth comes in both tin and aerosol, as you are panting the whole unit I would spray it with two or three coats with a flash off time between coats. If in the future you need to touch up you can us an artists brush, being a slow drying alkyd resin it smooths out very well.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2021, 01:29:00 pm »
I did my K12 ESA and never took the swing arm out although in my case the front wheel was off as well as I had both ends rebuilt.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2021, 02:20:19 pm »
I’d be rubbing the arm down best as, and then go find a car body shop and get a proper job done, both rubbing down and painting.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2021, 05:37:20 pm »
The BIG problem with bike bits in a car place is that are never used to painting or plating right up to a machined face as in the hub faces in wheels or the machined faces of the swing arm and wheel carrier.

The place that powder coated my K12 wheels had rave reviews from really fussy car nuts but they managed to get paint just over the lip of the bearing hole on my front wheel and when the front bearings went back in, off came the paint.

Just saying...

Offline DiscTrucker

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2021, 06:17:44 pm »
The BIG problem with bike bits in a car place is that are never used to painting or plating right up to a machined face as in the hub faces in wheels or the machined faces of the swing arm and wheel carrier.

The place that powder coated my K12 wheels had rave reviews from really fussy car nuts but they managed to get paint just over the lip of the bearing hole on my front wheel and when the front bearings went back in, off came the paint.

Just saying...

Agree with that 100%

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2021, 09:35:08 pm »
I’ll go for a pro paint job as opposed to a home brewed rattle can any day of the week but hey each to their own,, not sure how powder coat came into it.

Offline DiscTrucker

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2021, 10:07:23 pm »
I’ll go for a pro paint job as opposed to a home brewed rattle can any day of the week but hey each to their own,, not sure how powder coat came into it.

That’s what it’s going to get, I’ve never been overly fond of rattle cans or Hammerite since it’s had all the things that once made it Hammerite removed.

It’s off to the paint shop tomorrow to have the Spectrometer on it, and then paint and 2K lacquer finish.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2021, 01:39:25 pm »
not sure how powder coat came into it.

It's a paint process used by auto refinishers and others Chris. You should get out more. Oh, and how it came into it is that the op asked whether to paint or powder-coat. Read the posts... ::)