Author Topic: Owner of a Lonely Kar...Tee-Emm  (Read 2928 times)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Owner of a Lonely Kar...Tee-Emm
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2024, 02:44:22 pm »
'Demanding road for motorcycles". James Bond eyebrow(s) raised. Shades back on.
Love it!

Four things come to mind:
- fantastic weather
- fantastic roads and scenery
- zero potholes in Italy/Alps (some tarmac cracking here and there, admittedly, but then again they have more extreme weather to contend with)
- was the Benny Hill chase music not available?

All in all, great work, and well worth it.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 02:46:29 pm by richtea »

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2024, 05:50:41 pm »

Yeah watching this all again reminds me most vividly of the heat! And also how paranoid I was about speeding for way too far into "we've only got enough money to worry about important things" countries.

Oh yeah, this Insta360 Studio thing makes it very difficult to find good music! No search, just very badly populated categories.

Also, next time I have a job I think I'll just get a GoPro and have one very high res camera instead of two semi decent res cameras. Not that YouTube makes the best of any of these, but the X3 sacrifices too much I think. Plus the lens protectors are noticeable when panning between sensors.

Here are the next lot. This ain't Netflix, there's a lot of labour involved :D

After this it's properly into "get home fast" and not much to see, but I'll put something together so I can remind myself in future! Annoyingly I deleted one half (each sensor generates a file) of the last ten minutes into Servoz (near Chamonix) for the first night after the ferry. I can't even see the half I do have :(. That place was the best/most expensive food I've ever eaten, but damn worth it. And a nice dog. That I did not eat.

Oh, but I will probably take the drone this year and see if I can finally, after several years, get some decent birds eye views of bikey stuff.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2024, 07:11:27 pm »
Can you do things like press a button/tap screen to mark the vid, so you know where to come back to because it was a good section of road, etc. (You can tell I have never edited a video in my life, can't you.)

Hang on - what's with the dead horse in Sarajevo at 2:22??
Some very nice turquoise lakes in that one.

Roundabout - what roundabout?
Dear Mum - I have found a friend.
Nice bit of straightlining whilst your 'friend' keeps wriggling.

But you're right about the Albanian potholes - they beat the UK ones.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2024, 08:37:36 pm »
Hahaha! Now I want to say that horse was just chilling out on some late morning dew because of the 35c weather. But then going by what I saw further down this bit of the planet, it could quite easily be dead.

And yes, the river stuff in Bosnia was incredible! They've got a lot of water!
The new friend bit was fun. Finally got to good roads, had no use of the dodgy clutch so just went for it. I think they were Croatians.

Re the camera, it's just hit record. I think it records the previous fifteen seconds if it's already on. I had the remote last year which helped. Though another thing to keep charged. As the trip went on most of my clips were about 2 minutes long. So I'd say I was hitting record every time I thought something fun might happen.
Dashcams are the loop types where you just tag some timestamp.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2024, 08:02:08 am »
Can you do things like press a button/tap screen to mark the vid, so you know where to come back to because it was a good section of road, etc. (You can tell I have never edited a video in my life, can't you.)

I have a bike "dash cam" fitted. It starts recording as soon as I switch the ignition on and stops when the ignition is switched off. It records front and rear simultaneously in 5 minute segments (segment length is user definable from 1 min to, I think, 20 mins). When the memory card fills the unit simply loops around, over writing the oldest files. I can change the current file being written to read only (so it's not over written) by pressing the remote button on the handlebars.

The videos are no where near as interesting as Matts. Form the whole Old Gits trip last year I think there was possibly about 4 files worth looking at for a second time and only a total of about 2 minuts of interesting stuff from those files. My cameras have a 120 degree lens which means even close things look far away.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2024, 11:42:10 am »
I think the whole biking with cameras stuff is vastly underrated when it comes to the amount of effort involved. Those who are making a decent living off YT are treating it like a full time job, which it almost is, apart from doing the bit you are filming, which is what the followers are there to see, not to admire your editing skills. Although the good editors do get great comments about their production values.

Itchyboots had to cut down the number of videos she as putting out this season from three to two as it was grinding her into the ground. Most other 'pro' YT'ers use professional editors at least for some of their stuff and the quality reflects that but if they are not from the genre they are editing then sometimes the content suffers as they don't understand the nuances involved.

I think two cameras makes for a more interesting video and three is the bees knees. Of course, when you have one on the helmet filming what you see, one on the bars filming you, a 360 one doing dizzying stuff, a stick cam for those awesome 'Watch me fall off now' shots and then a drone thrown in for good measure, then you are talking loads of money and even more loads of time editing.

I like the stuff you are putting out currently Matt.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2024, 06:04:14 pm »
Thanks Bri. I agree, this effort has shown me what a pain in the buttocks it is! I'm sure the others are using proper paid for tools that are better, but it's still laborious. And as you say, context and some eye for what works is needed too. And patience. As the day goes on I lose this and start rushing a bit more with a "that'll do" attitude. But then I'm not monetising :D.

I wonder if I could mount my Insta on top of my hat.

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2013 K1300s Sport
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2024, 11:43:41 am »
Hi Matt, Not sure how I missed this thread but thanks for the link. Those trips look amazing! Lovely places! which one would you recomend the most? Im still to venture into Europe so looking for recommendations...

Im somewhat 'in the trade' with video editing. Am in the music biz, and run my own business so have had to learn how to do it over the years. I do enjoy it though and find it tickles my creative juices more than music these days. Probably because I don't do it for a living. So since getting back on 2 wheels i decided to combine to the activities and see what happens.

The insta studio editor is super limited and fairly cluncky compared to pro editors, but its also pretty convenient way to get quick and decent results out of the footage. Ive not tried editing/reframing the 360 footage within Final cut yet but will try for the next edit and compare.

and yea the music within the app isn't great. Its also not free to use outside of personal use. I subscribe to artlist that gives you access and rights to use music from their library.