Author Topic: Ability to post routes  (Read 10364 times)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Ability to post routes
« on: May 28, 2015, 11:22:40 pm »
How about introducing the ability to post routes on EuroKClub?  It is such a useful facility.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Ability to post routes
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 11:25:21 pm »
Why not post the route to a cloud account make it public and post a link. Would that work?

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 12:57:06 am »
How about introducing the ability to post routes on EuroKClub?  It is such a useful facility.

1) It clogs up the disk
2) I don't know how to do it

Brian (who thinks Rae's suggestion is OK but it won't work on Photobucket, grump, grump)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 07:26:03 am »
Whilst photobucket is not viable for files something like Microsoft Onedrive would be and you get 30GB of storage for free. Google Drive would work too.
Try this link. It's the Wrinklies trip
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5J7RGw6U_pQeDdBSFF0QmR5c0E/view?usp=sharing

Edit: just tested it and it works. Create an account if you don't already have one then get a shareable link and Bob is your Dads brother (not you Bobtail)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 07:34:30 am by raesewell »

Offline bobtail

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S (05) departed but well loved! Now R1200RS I am now a Boxerboy.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: I had no bling on my K12 and was proud of it! And it never, ever let me down, honest! And it still had the o.e. battery going strong, honest!
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 08:52:01 am »
no offence taken Rae at least you didn't call me 'your uncle'........did you ::)

Tried it got stuck in all the different applications it was asking me to do so didn't bother!

Uncle Bob

PS will try again later when my brain cell is in operating mode which may be sometime as I'm having big trub trying to load all my Skye pics......computer keeps saying NO!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 09:27:29 am by bobtail »
Are we there yet? I said ARE WE THERE YET? I SAID ARE WE THERE YET?!!

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 07:03:29 pm »
I didn't ask about different methods of sharing routes. I asked about posting routes on this forum.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 07:06:29 pm »
I know Tom but it's not going to happen so I was trying to find a viable alternative.  :-\

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 07:11:05 pm »
Okay then, why is it not going to happen?

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 07:28:00 pm »
Because of server space.
Let me make sure I understand what you mean by "Post Routes", do you mean attach a gpx or itn file for others to download?

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 07:44:18 pm »
Because of server space.
Let me make sure I understand what you mean by "Post Routes", do you mean attach a gpx or itn file for others to download?
Perhaps we should get more server space? It might mean that a contribution to this site will be required but I think it will be worth it.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 07:49:12 pm »
Maybe so, I'll take it up with Brian when I see him. Although I don't really see it as a hassle to post a link to a cloud account.
As you know Tom I quite enjoy messing with mapping programs  ;D
I would be happy to upload any routes to the clubs Google Drive account.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 08:47:30 pm »
Because of server space.
Perhaps we should get more server space? It might mean that a contribution to this site will be required but I think it will be worth it.

.....but what is wrong with doing it the easy (and free) way Tom. You seem to have a bee in your bonnet about this and I don't understand why.

We could post photos too, but the answer is the same; it eats disk space and that costs money and on the server, it costs a disproportionate amount of money. I can buy many Gb of space on a USB drive for a few pounds, but on the server, anyone's server, it costs a huge amount of money.

Cloud drives, llike Google and Photobucket and Microwotsit, are virtually free and will never get full.

No matter how much disk space we 'buy' on the server (which means all members pay more) we will eventually fill it and have to buy more, whereas with a cloud drive of Gb proportions, we may never ever fill it up, try as we might.

Let me know if you have a particular problem with this, because to me it seems to be totally illogical.

I have 100's of photos on my Photobucket drive and from memory I have used 2% in the last 4 years. If I had to buy server disk space to host that amount, it would cost me £200 per year thereabouts.

Brian (who isn't about to rent more disk space unnecessarily so there better be a great reason and he can't see one)                                                                                                                                                                                           

Offline bobtail

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S (05) departed but well loved! Now R1200RS I am now a Boxerboy.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: I had no bling on my K12 and was proud of it! And it never, ever let me down, honest! And it still had the o.e. battery going strong, honest!
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 01:16:14 pm »
Brain cell back in order now computer not saying NO anymore! But I still can't get to the link Rae.

Bob
Are we there yet? I said ARE WE THERE YET? I SAID ARE WE THERE YET?!!

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 01:36:49 pm »
I'm glad that I'm not the only one Bob.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 01:50:21 pm »
Which link are you clicking on and what happens when you do?

I made sure I was logged out of all of my Google accounts so just logging in as a regular Joe.
I see a mainly dark screen with a box in the middle saying No Preview Available and a Download Button.
Are you not seeing this?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 01:54:09 pm by raesewell »