Author Topic: K1300S Motorsport - The Transformation  (Read 2787 times)

Offline Andersen166

• Mad for motorrads and motorrad cleaning
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport 2015
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Keep it standard.
K1300S Motorsport - The Transformation
« on: August 18, 2020, 01:52:20 pm »
Dear fellow K-riders(and others)

As some of you may remember, I purchased my 2015 K1300S Motorsport in May 2020, and this topic is, not just for myself but for everyone else, to enjoy the journey of purchasing the first motorbike, the process of getting a license, tidying up the bike, storage and what not. This is my decent into madness.

So.. Starting off, 9pm on the 19th of June, my father(1956') and I set off from Kolding, Denmark, towards Saarbrücken in Germany in a white van. The journey is just around 2,000 KM from start to finish, and the plan is to drive through the night, and arrive at the BMW dealership in the morning the next day.

So, now we are on our way!

We made a stop for the night at a parking lot in Lippetal, a small town in Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany. Having slept for an hour and a half or so, we left our spot for the night, and resumed the journey towards Saarbrücken.

We arrived on time, 9:30am. Only a couple of minutes away from the new K, the wellknown emblems of a BMW dealership welcomed us.

And there is was, a thing of beauty, surely, but bigger in size, compared to what I has imagined. Paperwork, signatures and the whole shebang done in less than 10 minutes, German efficiency indeed.

So there I was. From dream to reality. It is surely a surreal thing.

One must wear a mask in stores in germany, hence the lack of big teeth as I stood next to the newly acquired Beast of Bavaria.

It was time to get the bike loaded, because we had another 1,000 KM of autobahn to cover, in order to get home.

Leaving the dealership at 10am left us with 10 hours of driving, before returning home.

The morning after returning home, as a groom and his bride, I of course had to strip her down, and get the trickle(charger) on.

At the time I picked the bike up, it was due for the big service, so I began changing fluids(brakes, clutch, engine and final drive), and as my father worked in the four cylinder in Munich, teaching new engineers about BMW engines, we were hopefull.

Having reached out to an old friend of my father, a BMW service center, we booked an appointment to have the valve checked over, and there we had it. Our first deadline. Over the next couple of weeks, we began tearing the bike apart, getting everything clean, oiled and looking and feeling great before the service and reassembling.

Front wheel off, cleaning the duo lever suspension and tackling the wheels and getting these free of tar and dirt. - same for the rear.

Then the order was, tank off for cleaning the engine, exhaust and headers off for polishing, and front headlight fearing off for cleaning too.

After this, radiator off for the known cleaning process, which in my case involved a hot water pressure washer(with light pressure and distance), an assortment of cleaners and compressed air. This was also a great time to clean the valve cover, so the mechanic has a nice clean engine to work on.

Time to reassemble a bit before the service.

Time for the big service. Back into the van, an hour of driving and there it was. The Beast of Bavaria being touched by someone else.  ::)

Time to reassemble the bike after the service.

Now the only thing left is a polish, paint protection film, getting gear, putting on numberplate and waiting a whole year to become old enough to take my A motorcycle license.

I will of course update you along the way in regards to picking the right polisher, ppf, riding gear and so on..
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 05:17:18 pm by Andersen166 »
Yours sincerely

Frederik Andersen

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
Re: K1300S Motorsport - The Transformation
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 02:01:03 pm »
And there is was, a thing of beauty, surely, but bigger in size, compared to what I has imagined. Paperwork, signatures and the whole shebang done in less than 10 minutes, German efficiency indeed.

So there I was. From dream to reality. It is surely a surreal thing.

One must wear a mask in stores in germany, hence the lack of big teeth as I stood next to the newly acquired Beast of Bavaria.

Now the only thing left is a polish, paint protection film, getting gear, putting on numberplate and waiting a whole year to become old enough to take my A motorcycle license.

I will of course update you along the way in regards to picking the right polisher, ppf, riding gear and so on..

Well, you're ok, I mean blonde hair, nice cut, but I'm not sure i'd call you beautiful, maybe handsome :P.

Ah! I would say the year wait explains your eagerness to take it all apart, but it looks like it all happened in quite a short time! :) Jolly good job. How many miles does it have, and was the engine paint all present and correct? Do you use ACF over there?
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Andersen166

• Mad for motorrads and motorrad cleaning
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport 2015
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Keep it standard.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 02:10:55 pm »
Hi there Matt

With my day job as a law student and soon to be junior associate, I too will soon be seen rocking a couple of gray hairs or perhaps a bit less hair in general  ;)

From start to finish, it was about 6 weeks of taking a little apart each weekend.

All engine paint is there despite the milage which is 65.000 KM(40k miles).

I have not used ACF, however from my days of riding motocross, I used a bit of 5-56(shorturl.at/wCJUY) on the engine and wiring under the tank, as this is known to drive out moisture.

Yours sincerely

Frederik Andersen

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 04:56:37 pm »
I'm not certain I would have the patience to wait a year with the bike sitting in the garage... :)

Offline corkboy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 08' K1200 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: AF-XIED plug. Z-TEC screen, LED Highbeams, Front/rear dashcam
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 05:28:56 pm »
Great job,
I don't think I'd have the patience to do the amount of work you've done to it.

It is (better than) a new bike.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 08:00:39 pm »
Wonderful post!
And a fabulously clean bike at the end of it all.

You are definitely going to have fun.   ;)

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 08:49:56 pm »
 I enjoyed it as well,anyone with a clogged radiator there’s your answer  ;)

Offline farmer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200rs, k1300s
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 10:54:32 am »
late to the party here, i hope my bike never reads this as jealousy may rear it's ugly head.
fair play to you and lots of luck with it.
still a couple of months to go but getting there... not long now.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 05:56:08 pm »
Nice post. Don't forget to check that the rear suspension dog link bearings are well greased.

Looking forward to your next post.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

revd

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2021, 07:14:19 am »
A great post and it must be a real tingle of anticipation to want to ride the bike after putting so much attention into getting it "just right".  I only had a three month wait for my first big bike, an FJ1200, and that was made easier by storing it 200 miles away at my brothers house!  Hope you get to get many good rides in on that very clean bike!