Author Topic: The Not Going Outside Mental Wellbeing Ideas Thread (TNGOMWIT)  (Read 4692 times)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: The Not Going Outside Mental Wellbeing Ideas Thread (TNGOMWIT)
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2021, 12:12:14 pm »
Perhaps when we get the chance we can have a motorcycle camping meet in a dark sky region when there are no clouds about? Don't want much do I? :D
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2021, 01:02:37 pm »
Currently not mountain bike riding but fitting carbon Dymags to a KTM GT, the wheels come with tyre valves but both the R and GT have tyre pressure sensors, one assumes as Dymag supply the wheels with valves it’s possible to part the sensors from the ECU....the rest has been a learning curve  ;D but certainly keep’t me amused or is that bemused....

Offline Grumpy jase

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300S
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2021, 03:35:22 pm »
Having recently moved house, I now have a distinctly challenging single garage to work in.  Downsizing is painful. 

I have found while there is space for my 2 bikes, there is nothing left if I need to work on them.  So Sunday, I took everything out of the garage, remodeled and re-positioned my bench and tool chests and have spent the last few evenings deciding where everything needs to go, putting up shelves and hooks etc, to make it sensible and workable, and hopefully leaving me a big space at the back for a bike on a lift, while still having the other bike at the front. 

It is most definitely still a work in progress, but I have spent most evening this week, pottering, with my music going and generally feeling after a couple of hours that things are better than when I started.

Happy days.
Being grumpy makes me happy

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2021, 03:59:47 pm »
I feel your pain, going to a smaller garage is what my nightmares are made of, we have had tentative thoughts of moving, the house contents would be a doddle what is in the garage would be another ball game blimey.... :(

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2021, 04:45:45 pm »
I'm working on a bigger shed design so that I can actually work in it when other things are in there, like grumpy jase thats not currently possible. Many peripheral requirements from SWMBO . Looks like I'm going to have to get planning permission for a bespoke build not just buy a bigger shed, so have just ordered some drawings supplies to get drawings done. Back to the 1986 drawing board....

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2021, 05:58:07 pm »
That'll be fun! I designed and had built an aviary when I was a lot younger. Lots and lots of drawings :D.

My garage is a single, however I have mostly clad and insulated it now. When I moved in the back half was a rubbish shiplap single skin wood construction with an interior glass door, whereas the rest was brick, and the usual bent rubbish up-and-over monstrosity at the front that had one spring off.

First I had an electric roller garage door fitted, then took down the rear wall and re-built properly after laying a nice foundation in place of the crumbling stuff there previously. Wall was timber frame and then a proper steel secure door thing, widest I could get. Worked great for the K but the flipping GS is just that bit wider! I now have to take the hand guards & bar ends off, and still scuff the engine bars on the door frame! (This is because I like to clean the bike in private :/).

Last year I did all the insulating, cladding, and also sealing the bottom couple of courses thanks to next door's extension throwing water at it. I've now got the back half as my beer storage and serving area (home brewing remember, so a freezer that works as a beer chiller). I also carpeted it (threw down old carpet from the living room, as Brian can attest!) and put a rail up to hand my bike stuff. Lid and boots also live there now.

Winter time it started getting pretty humid so it now has a dehumidifier that I keep meaning to hard-wire an exit spout to. Anyway now it's lovely. Beer in back, bike in front. Just enough room to do stuff... but i'm still having a double next time!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2021, 06:54:12 pm »
Empty think mine 4x8/9m still laugh after knocking the side of the house off and building it, went into a local fitted kitchen shop, we didn’t know each other.

Hello Sir can I help

Yes mate...you know that fitted kitchen you’ve been trying sell for years  ;D

Yes sir I know just the one....

I’ll have it...

Most of it is full of bike gear and tools

Offline Grumpy jase

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300S
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2021, 11:39:48 am »
Empty think mine 4x8/9m still laugh after knocking the side of the house off and building it, went into a local fitted kitchen shop, we didn’t know each other.

Hello Sir can I help

Yes mate...you know that fitted kitchen you’ve been trying sell for years  ;D

Yes sir I know just the one....

I’ll have it...

Most of it is full of bike gear and tools

4m x 8/9m.  I could only dream   :D

My old shed, which I self-built with a view to how I worked and stored bikes was 4.8m wide x 3.6 deep.  The width meant I could easily get around both bikes, and 3 bikes at a squeeze, and store the other stuff a proper workshop needs.  The new single is a little smaller in area, but it is the shape that is proving most challenging.  But, the process of thinking about and solving the challenges, is really good for my head, and way better than unpacking boxes inside the house.  The difference is things I want to do vs things I need to do. 
Being grumpy makes me happy

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2021, 04:08:21 pm »

...  But, the process of thinking about and solving the challenges, is really good for my head...

Big time! I very much had a nice summer working out where things should go to make the most of the space. Annoyingly I was more focused on beer than bikes last summer, so the balance of 50/50 I am starting to think is too kind to beer!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2021, 08:40:23 pm »
Bliney, there's a lot of pent-up man-cave stuff going on there.
I suspect we might need a 'Sheds/Garages' sub-section soon.  :o

Mine is cold, occasionally wet, and still mostly works. The garage that is. Not the dog's nose.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2021, 08:56:55 pm »
BTW I notice that I'm not the only one with an R1250GS as the other bike.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.