Author Topic: Lorry cameras  (Read 1044 times)

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
Lorry cameras
« on: March 16, 2021, 10:39:17 am »
I copied this from a FB group and thought it would be of interest

If you ride, read on
HGV's without mirrors
Received this via Triumph Owners Club.
"If you see a truck with no mirrors then it probably is equipped with a new camera system which appears to be slightly flawed.
Take note and take care!
I had the pleasure (not) of driving a new Merc truck fitted with mirror cameras, from a bikers point of view, they're bloody awful.
Although you no longer have the big blindspot caused by the half-acre of plastic sticking out, which makes it hard to see approaching bikes on a roundabout, you now have quite a large area beside the cab that isn't covered by the wide-angle section of the mirror, and you could easily lose sight of a bike if you're not careful.
It is also impossible to get a better view by moving your head, as it's like looking at the TV, no matter where you stand, the picture isn't going to change.
Probably the worst bit though is the lack of eye contact, especially in slow moving traffic. With normal mirrors, I can see you, and you can see me, and that little bit of eye contact makes a massive difference. With the camera, you have no way of telling whether I've seen you or not, so it's best to assume that I haven't.
So there you go, if a truck has cameras instead of mirrors, give it a bit more room, don't get anywhere near the corners of the cab, and never assume the driver knows that you're filtering up to the front of the queue”.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 12:58:19 pm by richtea »
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

revd

Re: Lorry cameras
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 09:26:33 am »
Thanks for the first hand cab view heads-up.  That is very helpful to know and will change how I approach such vehicles.  I tend to ride "invisible", but knowledge is a great tool in how to approach certain hazards.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
Re: Lorry cameras
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 02:17:22 pm »
Yack. I've seen a few of these, and it does make me remember even more so to get past as quick as possible.

This bit in what you said:

Quote from: drum
It is also impossible to get a better view by moving your head, as it's like looking at the TV, no matter where you stand, the picture isn't going to change.

Is a flipping good point. I assume the only reason these things exist is because it costs more to replace a camera mirror than a real one, and so the financey land is making more money out of it. Plus they probably own the law firm in America that delivers the first class action stuff.

"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022