Author Topic: 2013 K1300s Franchised Dealer Service Costs (I'm sitting down already)?  (Read 15864 times)

Offline TurboBevy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S 30TH ANNI
Hello all.

Will soon be a year since the K came into my possesion/life so I'm facing the first service in my ownership/care. I'd quite happliy service it myself (the 'dangers' of home servicing! As a Kawasaki dealer once said to me when muted) as I have done for previous bikes and the fact that all it'll need is an oil change and maybe new rear brake pads? I phoned the franchised main dealer last week and asked that, Andy, the man I bought it from phone me back. He did, I missed his call and despite trying him again two or three times he's not as yet got back to me. I'm in the cream puff now as I thought he really liked me...  :'(  Being Scottish, careful with my earnings, Im thinking I should just book it into my local friendly independent motorcycle shop who I've used for years for the bigger stuff/jobs and ask them to use BMW parts and top quality Castrol oil and save a few quid on labour rates and also help keep an independent enthusiast motorcycle shop in business. Hip, Hip, Hooray!

Can anyone pick fault with that? The bike has an extended 24month warranty as supplied by the dealer but it's running sweet as a nut and nothing has fallen off, broken or gone faulty. Mileage is now just under 16k and it's a 63 reg. Reg.  ;)

Brake fluid was changed at last service before collection in May 2017 and the brakes are astoundingly good! I can never make up my mind which is best? The motor or the brakes?  8)

P.S. I've also bought, have a pair of Michelin PR5s in stock which will also be fitted (new tyre joy!) and the MOT is due in May also and the tax and the insurance. Ballache. I think I need a second job or a - sugar mummy - or both.....  ???

Thanks for listening/reading.
Cheers.

Turbobevy.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 03:53:05 pm by TurboBevy »
In the name of God, please let me die in peace! Voltaire...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
There are two flies in your ointment...

Firstly, the stamps in the book are still worth having depending on how long you intend to keep it. Selling it on or trading it in a year or two, get the FBMWSH bit in the advert. Keeping it forever snd running it into the ground, get it done down the chipshop with my proviso below...

'Top quality Castrol oil' is not up to the standard required to keep your clutch working sweetly. It will happily keep the rest of the motor running sweetly, but not the clutch which is very finicky about its lube.

If you get the local guy to buy and use the proper BMW oil then you will be OK. Expensive but not simply a mark up and rip-off; it is different.

It is, as they say, a matter of paying your money and taking your choice.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 08:05:33 pm by richtea »

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Not to mention plugging into the mothership to cancel the service indicator and any other updates due.

Offline TurboBevy

• View Profile
Not to mention plugging into the mothership to cancel the service indicator and any other updates due.

Will there be many/any since since last year on a bike that's no longer in production? #Collectors item of the future!  ;)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 05:48:41 pm by TurboBevy »

Offline TurboBevy

• View Profile
There are two flies in your ointment...

Firstly, the stamps in the book are still worth having depending on how long you intend to leep it. Selling it on or trading it in a year or two, get the FBMWSH bit in the advert. Keeping it forever snd running it into the ground, get it done down the chipshop with my proviso below...

'Top quality Castrol oil' is not up to the standard required to keep your clutch working sweetly. It will happily keep the rest of the motor running sweetly, but not the clutch which is very finicky about its lube.

If you get the local guy to buy and use the proper BMW oil then you will be OK. Expensive but not simply a mark up and rip-off; it is different.

It is, as they say, a matter of paying your money and taking your choice.

Thanks for this. However, I'd read that the clutch action was improved on the K by using Castrol oil and that BMW actually encouraged its use? BMW don't actually make oil do they, surely? Castrol are the masters of the art IMHO and I refuse thus far, to use anything else.

Having said that out loud... I'm now going to retreat and hide behind the couch.  ???

TB.

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I believe that BMWs affiliation with Castrol has ended (willing to be corrected) and the 5-40 that is recommended is only available from BMW (also willing to be corrected here too)

Offline TurboBevy

• View Profile
I believe that BMWs affiliation with Castrol has ended (willing to be corrected) and the 5-40 that is recommended is only available from BMW (also willing to be corrected here too)

Bible according to Castrol says not.

https://applications.castrol.com/oilselector/en_gb/c/recommendation?data=26577efd74b713b0c15be2bbbbc95d77

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The 5-40 may now be available elsewhere because of the split.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
BMW don't actually make oil do they, surely? Castrol are the masters of the art IMHO and I refuse thus far, to use anything else.
TB.

Firstly, refuse at your peril...but be stubborn if you wish.

BMW doesn't make much at all, certainly not oil. In this they are no different from most other 'makers'!

What they do do, is design, develop amd specify.

Their specification for the engine oil for the K12/3 was put out for tender, like most things; brakes, seals, bearings etc.

Whoever gets the contract to manufacture is bound by the T's&C's of the BMW contract which means that it can't be made, marketed or sold to or by anyone else.

BMW, like most makers, change suppliers from time to time. The old supplier knows everythimg about the product now being made by someone else but can't do anything about it.

So, Brembo discs and pads are made by Brembo (obviously  ::) ) but to BMW's specification. Buy the ordinary ones from Brembo and you might not notice the difference. Others in here most certainly can.

For the sake of the cost of a couple of tanks of fuel you can chance your clutch.

Me, I don't gamble.

PS I have no idea why you think Castrol are more the masters of the art of oil synthesis than any other major manufacturer. I understand your prejudice, the Duckhams oil mayonnaise in the '60's and '70's put me off their oils for life, but virtually all shelf oils are the same, spec for spec.

In respect of the oil for the K, it is the spec. that is different.

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
Isn't the BMW oil made by Shell?
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 K1300s Franchised Dealer Service Costs (I'm sitting down already)?
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 09:53:47 pm »
Isn't the BMW oil made by Shell?
It might be now Ron but it used to be Castrol, you know what BMW are like they are flibbertigibbets.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 10:00:19 pm by raesewell »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 01:29:53 pm »
Doesn't flibbertigibbets have a y in the middle  ;D

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 04:03:52 pm »
Doesn't flibbertigibbets have a y in the middle  ;D
I thought it did but the dictionary says different, it's probably one of those either ors  ::)

Offline TurboBevy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2018, 05:55:36 pm »
BMW don't actually make oil do they, surely? Castrol are the masters of the art IMHO and I refuse thus far, to use anything else.
TB.

Firstly, refuse at your peril...but be stubborn if you wish.

BMW doesn't make much at all, certainly not oil. In this they are no different from most other 'makers'!

What they do do, is design, develop amd specify.

Their specification for the engine oil for the K12/3 was put out for tender, like most things; brakes, seals, bearings etc.

Whoever gets the contract to manufacture is bound by the T's&C's of the BMW contract which means that it can't be made, marketed or sold to or by anyone else.

BMW, like most makers, change suppliers from time to time. The old supplier knows everythimg about the product now being made by someone else but can't do anything about it.

So, Brembo discs and pads are made by Brembo (obviously  ::) ) but to BMW's specification. Buy the ordinary ones from Brembo and you might not notice the difference. Others in here most certainly can.

For the sake of the cost of a couple of tanks of fuel you can chance your clutch.

Me, I don't gamble.

PS I have no idea why you think Castrol are more the masters of the art of oil synthesis than any other major manufacturer. I understand your prejudice, the Duckhams oil mayonnaise in the '60's and '70's put me off their oils for life, but virtually all shelf oils are the same, spec for spec.

In respect of the oil for the K, it is the spec. that is different.

I hear all that, but you've said that all oils are the same in that they're all the same specification and then you go onto say that the spec' of the motor oil for the K is somehow, different?

Well yes different it may be but the Castrol product is actually made by Castrol which is a product that when used in the engines of previous bikes performs better than other similar specced oils. Example in point is that when a Kawasaki dealer serviced a Kwak I used to own they used Fuchs oil or something similar which was no doubt within the specified limits for the bike, but when I serviced it myself the next time and used Castrol Power 1 Racing the gearchange was noticably smoother and the bike ran better.

I've also came across this which shows that the Castrol oil was co-engineered with BMW.

https://goo.gl/cuvuoG

I'm not dissing what you're saying, I'm just not convinced that the rebadged BMW oil is any better than Castrol, a brand which I have years of experience of and confidence in.

Best regards.

John.   
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 06:01:16 pm by TurboBevy »

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 06:25:09 pm »
I hear all that, but you've said that all oils are the same in that they're all the same specification and then you go onto say that the spec' of the motor oil for the K is somehow, different?

I've also came across this which shows that the Castrol oil was co-engineered with BMW.

https://goo.gl/cuvuoG

John.

I think Brian was saying 'all shelf oils are the same', as in common or garden oil of the correct viscosity.

However, Castrol was recommended until maybe 1 or 2 years ago.
Someone will be along in a minute to explain why the newer BMW oil is better than Castrol. For the clutch, I suspect...