Author Topic: Why do they do that?  (Read 4031 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Why do they do that?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 02:09:14 pm »
I'm not sure my rant warranted a serious response Dusty, despite it raising some serious issues.

Whilst we have lots of examples of bikers not understanding the abilities of their tyres, very few potter around at low speed on the open road.

I would suggest the motoring public fall into two broad categories, petrol heads and the rest.

Petrol heads understand how an engine and gearbox works, what suspension does and how good modern tyres are.

The rest fall into two broad categories, those who think they can tear around defying the laws of nature until they discover they can't and the rest.

Those who think they can tear around ignoring the laws of nature are normally young, male and stupid. They may have a very short life expectancy.

The rest fall into two broad categories, the IAM/RoSPA brigade who take great pride in their driving and normally their vehicles and may be petrol heads and the rest.

Of course, the IAM/RoSPA brigade may be some of those driving at 35 and some may be the odd one who overtakes me

The rest fall into two broad categories, those who drive for a living or as part of their job and may have lots of basic skills and knowledge and the rest...

You get the idea!

Of all the car drivers I spoke to in NOG yesterday, only one had any understanding of how a car works and he was only there to have a recall done on his airbag. From some of the conversations going on around me, most of the service staff had little or no knowledge of the workings either.

Dire days indeed people, dire days indeed!

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2017, 07:26:23 am »
Living in the South East and often travelling in my white transit van (with company decals) in and around gods waiting room (Eastbourne) I see classic examples of the wonderful driving mentioned.
Only yesterday driving to Hastings, I was following an Aygo who would go 40mph in 30mph speed limit, actually hold 40 in a 40, then do 35mph in a 50 or national speed limit. Every bend would see them slow even more ::)

For 45 minutes i had to endure this.

Luckily Heart radio has three presenters that have me laughing most of the time.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2017, 11:28:41 am »
The beauty of the Black Beast is that one almost never has to sit and fester behind these eejits  8)

As someone who never crosses solid whites (🤞), I even popped one past one woman t'other day in the car even though it was on a long, straight stretch with solids. She was genuinely doing 20mph and I figured a good cop on a sunny day would accept it was almost down to 10! Jeez!

Of course, that opened the flood gates and everyone behind was rushing past. I imagine she slowed down even more after that, what with all these lunatics on the road....

PS And now, so you can all rest easy in your beds, I can reveal that the very last packing box opened revealed not only three of my 426 spare fuel cans (which is all that it said on the label) but also my Barkbusters, tyre pressure gauge and inflation gun for the compressor. Dunno why I didn't open that one first....
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 11:36:26 am by Phmode »

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2017, 04:00:17 pm »
Followed a car the other evening along a national speed limit lane between St. Albans and Welwyn Garden City and it was slowish but when something came the other way it dropped down to 20mph. Then I realised that the idiot had no dip beam lights at all and could only see when the lights were on high beam!

Probably drove around for ages with one headlight until they had both blown. ::)
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R Sport; 2007
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2017, 07:12:34 pm »
A good cop might have accepted the 10mph excuse, Brian, but you may have had a problem persuading him/her that the woman was driving a horse, bicycle or road maintenance vehicle. I suppose you could have pretended that she was stationary!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2017, 09:46:45 pm »
If she'd neen on a horse she would have been going faster...

Offline OxMan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Just sold my K1300R Dynamic in Racing Red (The fastest colour) - and taken delivery of my Guzzi.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: It's a TT Travel : with panniers; high screen; heated grips; cruise; low comfort seat; top box (!); centre stand; Ohlins; Akra sports can; engine bars; extra front fogs; Caponord mudguard/extended...
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2017, 09:15:47 am »
Naaaaaaaaaaayyyyy...
Late emerging biker - took the first bike plunge at 50 with a 12GT : swapped for a 13S 9 months in... then got my mitts on a lovely 2014 13R Dynamic in rrrrrracing rrrrred! Then the COVID came along... so I upped it to France and bought a V85TT... O Sole Mio etc etc!

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2017, 06:16:10 pm »
I was a brave little urchin yesterday and rode the bike up to Thurrock Lakeside for an overnight stay and catch up with old work friends.

It wasn't the best day to pick being Black Friday, the roads around Lakeside were gridlocked, how happy was i that i didn't drive.
The many roundabouts were the worst with cars all trying to enter and leave at the same time, but the funny thing was all the cars were hugging the centre of the roundabouts and i found myself easily going right round the outside to turn right.

The ride home this morning was a tad chilly with the  heat grips on 2 dots. I did have an Audi A6 3.0 TDi driver join the A road i was on and go straight out in front of me. Normally i would under-take with a hand greeting but i sat behind him for a while even through a 50mph area which he did obey, as i could see the national speed limit sign loom up i had a feeling he would go for it as there was no one in front of him, I thought i would test out the bikes 6th gear acceleration from 55 upwards, sure enough a big puff of the twin exhaust as he floored it, top gear on the K was easily keeping up with him and subsequently blast past at 69.9999 mph..  ;D