Author Topic: Who makes the most reliable motorcycles  (Read 4753 times)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Who makes the most reliable motorcycles
« on: January 31, 2017, 03:46:15 pm »

Offline Expo

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300s
Re: Who makes the most reliable motorcycles
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 04:29:13 pm »
I can see why you posted this little quiz for us Rae  ::) .
Thanks for sharing  :'( .
"Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence."

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 04:37:50 pm »
Interesting but not really surprising apart from the American brand higher up the performance chain than Triumph. I did not expect the British bike to be at or very near the top but down there with Duke and BM is poor. As far as BM goes : KAK

I would be interested to see the knock on effect of the new MT range on Yams performance, clearly some of the participants will have had MT's but I suspect not a massive amount (?) as Yam  they have cut some major corners on that range in the quality stakes, including very budget suspension.

It does not take Einstein to work this table out merely being interested and listening to a mix of bikers and those working in the after market side of the trade would give you a massive big clue.

JS

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 04:42:50 pm »
I can see why you posted this little quiz for us Rae  ::) .
Thanks for sharing  :'( .

I didn't share it to gloat, just to share it. We all make our own choices.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 07:06:16 pm »
To be fair( ??? ) most BM's are fairly sophisticated which often equates with unreliability! The ESA alone must knock the rankings more than a little.

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 07:25:15 pm »
It appears to me that BMW have made a virtue out of failing bikes by repairing and putting them right without much of a song and dance making clients happy they have been dealt with quickly and efficiently.
Of course there is always the exceptions.
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 10:25:12 am »
Drumwrecker, Bagsy borrow your specs as the world must look better through them  ;D ;)
JS

gibbo

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 10:59:50 am »
An interesting article that Rae, but I think that most of us have known that fact for a number of years now.

When I started biking in the early seventies the British bike was slowly being replaced by these Jap things. But it soon dawned on most that the Jap bike was better in terms of reliability/build quality etc. I owned both British and Japanese at the time and can say that whilst most of my British owned bikes spent a lot of time on the workbench being repaired for major work, the Jap bikes just kept going and going, hence their popularity/quality and keenness on price.

I bought my very first BMW K bike on the marques past reliability and quality aspect only to find disappointment at the end of ownership. I expected more for my bucks. Whether I'll ever buy another BMW is doubtful. As for anything remotely Italian, forget it. Beautiful to look at but dire in the reliability stakes. I once owned an Alfa Spider which is another story. That's life isn't it.  ;)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 11:19:36 am »
I just want a bike to do what it is supposed to do, start, go, stop without complaint. So far the FJR has done just that, The K1200GT had a lot of the normal issues, clutch x 2, ball joints x 3, hot start, stalling on throttling off, cam chain assembly etc etc. the fact that these are considered "normal" is alarming and I voted with my feet and my wallet.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 07:21:32 pm »
I just want a bike to do what it is supposed to do, start, go, stop without complaint. So far the FJR has done just that, The K1200GT had a lot of the normal issues, clutch x 2, ball joints x 3, hot start, stalling on throttling off, cam chain assembly etc etc. the fact that these are considered "normal" is alarming and I voted with my feet and my wallet.

On the other hand, my K is well-behaved (just like in your first line), and I've had none of those horrors - so maybe you were just unlucky, Rae?

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 07:29:25 pm »
In which case there are a lot of others that are just as unlucky as I am. Have a chat with Steve Parry his GT is like Triggs broom.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 08:21:17 pm »
In which case there are a lot of others that are just as unlucky as I am. Have a chat with Steve Parry his GT is like Triggs broom.

Well, we are a self-selecting bunch, don't forget. When your bike is misbehaving, the first point of call is often the best internet forum for thre marque/model, i.e. here.
If a K is running sweetly, the average rider may just go riding instead of surfing.

And there quite a few K's out there:
https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?page=1&q=BMW+K

However, I agree that doesn't change the survery, or the few(?) problem bikes here.

Maybe my 20 years of Italian bike ownership biases me to think Ks are just fine  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 09:12:16 pm »
Drumwrecker, Bagsy borrow your specs as the world must look better through them  ;D ;)

Not rose tinted at all, I thought I was being a bit sarcastic.

Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline Ned1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 09:13:05 pm »

and me, two sets of ball joints in 8000 miles from new, switch gear, hot start and that's just off the top of my head,  :o

Ride like they are out to kill you and live to ride another day

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 10:28:46 am »
So Jap bikes still come out on top of reliability. Not really surprised by that. Of my bikes over the last few years, I have been quite lucky with very few problems other than normal wear and tear. Only Triumph have really pissed me off by selling me a bike and then not helping when the shock went. I ended up buying my own replacement shock from Nitron:

• Loads of older stuff, GT250/380s, GS550/750/1000s etc.
  • 2 x GSXR1100
  • T595 - Gear box exploded; Fixed under warranty.
  • 2 x Tiger 955i
  • Sprint 1050
  • Tiger 1050 - Back shock collapsed in South France and ruined my holiday. Was told I overloaded the bike and they wouldn't help. had to buy a new shock myself.
  • K1300GT - Info switch occasionally didn't work, but only when it was really hot. Never fixed but never a major problem.
  • K1200R Sport
  • K1300S
  • 4 x K1600GT - Latest one had a very small vibration and had the engine replaced at the 600 mile service.

And BMW have also issued several thousand recalls  :o